USB Hell. Why so many duplicates in device manager?! (W10)

Bender Blues

So having slow 3.0 transfer speeds (done every trouble shooting set I can find, no luck) and was going to uninstall and reinstall the 3.0eXtesible.

Then, this mega nightmare.

I don't know whether to ask "what to do" or "why" or "help" 😠

Currently occupying USB ports: (2.0) phone charger, steering wheel, printer and mouse. (3.0) 2tb USB HDD

spacer.png

** Here on the West Coast USA **

There's a lot of "internal" hubs going on from the chipset through the motherboard and whatnot.  They don't matter usually because hubs shouldn't impact performance or latency so it's just something you ignore.

I am noticing I don't see "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" though.  Do you have the chipset driver installed for your mobo?  Are you sure in the BIOS your USB ports are set to USB 3 speeds and not legacy? 

image.png.5ea484fb11e74191b269373ca5253bec.png

Also a mechanical external HDD is never going to max out a USB 3 port anyways.  You didn't describe what speeds you were seeing.  Especially if it's small files then it's going to be < USB 2.0 speeds.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

There's a lot of "internal" hubs going on from the chipset through the motherboard and whatnot.  They don't matter usually because hubs shouldn't impact performance or latency so it's just something you ignore.

I am noticing I don't see "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" though.  Do you have the chipset driver installed for your mobo?  Are you sure in the BIOS your USB ports are set to USB 3 speeds and not legacy? 

image.png.5ea484fb11e74191b269373ca5253bec.png

Also a mechanical external HDD is never going to max out a USB 3 port anyways.  You didn't describe what speeds you were seeing.  Especially if it's small files then it's going to be < USB 2.0 speeds.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation. On the "Generic Superspeed USB Hub", I'm not sure. I assume its installed if USB ports are working, that might be a bad assumption.

Mobo is the Gigabyte 78LMT USB3 R2

On the speeds - that makes sense. However, copying say a 5 gig mpg sometimes it crawls at 20mb at transfer. Then a week later 100mb or so....

I see on your screenshot the USB eXtensible Host Controller being 1.20

Mine, 1.0 and even doing a driver update MS says drivers current. Hmm.

Where do you think I should go from here? 

THANK YOU. Much appreciated! 

Do you ever see above 43MB/s during a large file copy?  If yes then it's exceeding USB 2.0 speeds.  I would expect to see about 100 or so from a mechanical drive in sequential.

Don't trust Windows knowing what the latest driver is.  Get it directly here from Gigabyte: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60/support#support-dl-driver-usb30

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Windows Update doesn't fetch drivers from manufacturers websites. It sends out (to the affected users) only what manufacturers sends to them. Some manufacturers don't send their drivers to WU. Why? I don't know.

Some they release their drivers on their site, and at a later date send it to MS (which also passed through validation process, which adds more time, and is released in waves (adds even more delays,vwhete at this point on a newer driver is already out)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Update doesn't fetch drivers from manufacturers websites. It sends out (to the affected users) only what manufacturers sends to them. Some manufacturers don't send their drivers to WU. Why? I don't know.

Some they release their drivers on their site, and at a later date send it to MS (which also passed through validation process, which adds more time, and is released in waves (adds even more delays,vwhete at this point on a newer driver is already out)

Thank you for that. That makes really good sense. I'm guessing you're pointing this out when I mentioned the two different versions of  USB eXtensible Host Controller with the other member.

That said, I mentioned 1.0 to his 1.2 because I swore mine said 2006, its 2022. Double checking, thats pretty up to date. The USB Root Hub 3.0 is also late 2021 so I think its safe to say those are up to date.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Do you ever see above 43MB/s during a large file copy?  If yes then it's exceeding USB 2.0 speeds.  I would expect to see about 100 or so from a mechanical drive in sequential.

Don't trust Windows knowing what the latest driver is.  Get it directly here from Gigabyte: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60/support#support-dl-driver-usb30

On speed transfer, I was referring only to 3.0 speeds where sometimes its 25mb, than 100mb+ a week later. The only files being moved around in size are movie files from 5-40gb. So 100mb+ transfer is fine by me (start to finish), its just when, for no reason, sometimes it will then drop to 25mb from start to finish.

Thank you too for the help, much appreciated both of you!

I guess as explained that all those USB points in my initial are normal. Is that safe to say?

Cheers.