Ink jet OLED is finally ready for commercial production!

e22big

Apparently TCL (who also bought JOLED if you still remembered) finally managed to make ink jet OLED works and set to make its first production next year! Even better, it's going to use a true RGB subpixel! 

I am so exciting for this, maybe an OLED, cheap enough for a disposible monitor and have none of the text problem that plaged all of the current LED offering is finally about to become reality. Korea and Japan also set to invest heavily to come back at the prospect of China OLED too, the next few years is going to be so awsome for a display/TV market.

Will believe it when I see it. Inkjet OLED was "just around the corner"... 18 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, e22big said:

Even better, it's going to use a true RGB subpixel! 

Not sure that's a good thing, there's a reason that's not what's used now, too many drawbacks... Sounds like if it comes it'll be "quantity over quality"

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

35 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Not sure that's a good thing, there's a reason that's not what's used now, too many drawbacks... Sounds like if it comes it'll be "quantity over quality"

And what are the drawbacks? Having anything OTHER than RGB is considered a drawback.

I really hope this can bring prices down a lot. JOLED's panels currently are extremely expensive. LG's 32" 4K 60Hz option is around $4000.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Direct RGB emitters suffered from unevenness especially when aging, hence the move to having all emitters be the same and putting filters (or better, quantum dots) in front.

Also RGBW is a "drawback" in color saturation in high brightness, but an advantage in being able to give high brightness at all which is also a complaint when it's not there. Specular highlights and bright spots rarely need strong color too...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Will believe it when I see it. Inkjet OLED was "just around the corner"... 18 years ago. 

The planned relesed is next year, so I guess we'll see. But you're right, it could be significnatly more crappy compare to even WRGB OLED, with worse ABL and significantly worse brightness. But if it's dirt cheap like 300-500 range that's still some very attracitive option.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Also RGBW is a "drawback" in color saturation in high brightness, but an advantage in being able to give high brightness at all which is also a complaint when it's not there.

Yes, the white subpixel is needed. Otherwise current OLED TV's would probably top out at around 150-200 nits at best. But even with the color washout at high brightness the white subpixel helps deliver a much better HDR image than if it wouldn't be there.

Still, PC gamers are generally of the opinion that anything other than the standard RGB layout is bad, even though we're realistically only talking about an issue that can be noticed when pixel peeping.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Specular highlights and bright spots rarely need strong color too...

You need a lot of saturated bright spots and highlights. Explosions, fire, reflections on colorful objects, and many more look better even on current QLED TV models than OLED TVs. Color volume is important and the lack there of is a drawback for WBGR (not RGBW) OLEDs like LG's panels. This is why QD-OLED looks so much better, not necessarily the slight boost in brightness.

The point at which colors begin to wash out on current OLED TVs is much lower than you'd think. At around 150 nits and up the white subpixel is already at work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.