Any good non-standard way to mount a PC case? (Not on the floor or table)

loshvitalik

I've got such a layout in my room that there's no way to put a standard tower PC on the right side of the table such that it won't be in the middle of the room - I can only put a table left side or back side facing the wall. Currently I have my PC on the desk, side window facing me like a third monitor, but it still takes up a good portion of usable side of the table, and the front I/O is miles away from me. One day I will have to change that...

The most known options are: buy a mirrored case (very rare and expensive, so won't do that), place PC on the table with front I/O facing me (will take up even more usable space and requires extra long cabling), buy a hanging case mount that screws into the underside of the desk (probably won't hold well with my cardboard IKEA table), or buy a floor stand for a case and put it there. The last option is probably what I will end up choosing, but there is a small caveat: it will definitely interfere with floor vacuuming/cleaning and will require to move the PC separately when moving the table.

In my head I want my PC to be mounted to a table leg (assuming the table has at least one leg in the middle of short side), but unlike a lot of mounts that come up when searching for that, will not require screwing it into the table. Does anyone know if this type of mount does exist on the market and is it even practical, or will it be very unreliable? If this idea turns out to be not good at all, maybe someone happen to know another case mounting ideas? Thanks.

39 minutes ago, loshvitalik said:

I've got such a layout in my room that there's no way to put a standard tower PC on the right side of the table such that it won't be in the middle of the room - I can only put a table left side or back side facing the wall. Currently I have my PC on the desk, side window facing me like a third monitor, but it still takes up a good portion of usable side of the table, and the front I/O is miles away from me. One day I will have to change that...

The most known options are: buy a mirrored case (very rare and expensive, so won't do that), place PC on the table with front I/O facing me (will take up even more usable space and requires extra long cabling), buy a hanging case mount that screws into the underside of the desk (probably won't hold well with my cardboard IKEA table), or buy a floor stand for a case and put it there. The last option is probably what I will end up choosing, but there is a small caveat: it will definitely interfere with floor vacuuming/cleaning and will require to move the PC separately when moving the table.

In my head I want my PC to be mounted to a table leg (assuming the table has at least one leg in the middle of short side), but unlike a lot of mounts that come up when searching for that, will not require screwing it into the table. Does anyone know if this type of mount does exist on the market and is it even practical, or will it be very unreliable? If this idea turns out to be not good at all, maybe someone happen to know another case mounting ideas? Thanks.

Maybe a very strong (as in amount of weight it can hold) VESA mounting arm, fix a VESA mount bracket to the PC case, if the mounting arm has enough pivots and the right length you can adjust the PC to suit your needs. 

Can you lay the computer on its side, window side up and then set the monitors on top of that? (I would use a cloth or something to prevent scratches and obviously be gentle with the setting of the monitors.)

Its a old school set up but it would bring the I/O closer to you, its effectively free to try as it won't require any longer cables, and is less likely to block any air vents.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Thanks all for suggestions, I'll definitely take some inspiration from them! I meant this thread to be a general discussion and not only my personal solution, but I've tried some in the past and will share a bit of my opinion.

On 4/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, DigitalGoat said:

Maybe a very strong (as in amount of weight it can hold) VESA mounting arm, fix a VESA mount bracket to the PC case

Looks cool, but it will require an equally strong case side/top panel. For ITX builds I see how this could work, but all larger cases will probably be bent in a month 🙂

On 4/5/2022 at 12:51 AM, tkitch said:

wall mount a PC? 

I probably didn't think of that because I don't know how well it will hold up in quite a dusty place, where I like to filter air intake as much as possible... Guess that cleaning an open PC will be a nightmare.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:48 AM, Hybris5112 said:

Can you lay the computer on its side, window side up and then set the monitors on top of that?

I may be a little biased here, but I've tried to set up a SFF mATX build in this way in the past, and even a small case like that lifts the monitor uncomfortably high and leaves no space for a modern giant mouse/desk pad. Will work for someone with a small build and a large table, though. A full size case will take like 3/4 of the desk width 🙂 I'm using a VESA clamp arm for my monitors though, but I placed them as low as possible because of how narrow and high most if the tables today are.

6 hours ago, loshvitalik said:

I may be a little biased here, but I've tried to set up a SFF mATX build in this way in the past, and even a small case like that lifts the monitor uncomfortably high and leaves no space for a modern giant mouse/desk pad. Will work for someone with a small build and a large table, though. A full size case will take like 3/4 of the desk width 🙂 I'm using a VESA clamp arm for my monitors though, but I placed them as low as possible because of how narrow and high most if the tables today are.

No problem I figured it was a stretch to begin with but your situation was odd enough that I figure it might need a odd solution. Best of luck!

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

i put mine on a office pedestal drawer unit 😂

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini