Is a fan starting and stopping frequently worse for its lifespan than constantly running?

LOST TALE

I have the cpu fan is set to start at a certain temperature. When the heatsink gets too hot, it starts but then soon stops again. This repeats at least 60 times each hour.

I hear a noise of a broken bearing once in a while. Not sure if its my gpu or my cpu fan.

edit: I just caught the cpu fan start and stop by chance and no noise took place. The plot tickens.

edit: ok so I confirm it is the cpu fan, and only at higher speeds and only in its current facing up position. I checked for obstruction.

edit: Scanned through a few set voltages and problem magically gone. Maybe I shaked the lubricant around a little while trying the different positions. I'll just put it upside down for a while if this happens again. I wonder if that PSU fan I replaced might have the same issue...I don't remember.

I'm pretty sure the constant starting and stopping ruined it.... I wonder how long it would last if I turned the cooler sideways.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Could be from the start/stop scheme or could just be the fan dying. You'll never be able to quantify a shortened life span, if any, from starting and stopping a CPU fan (or any other PC fan for that matter). THEORETICALLY there should be a little more wear when it first spins up, but again, you'll never be able to say it caused early failure or not.

Regardless, it's a silly control strategy for a CPU fan. When I had a motherboard that support SpeedFan I spent entirely too much time trying to come up with clever strategies to stop fans (case, CPU, GPU) until certain temp thresholds. Setting large hysteresis values to prevent the fan cycling on/off all the time as CPU temps fluctuated normally. All in the name of keeping it as quiet as possible. Fun to mess around with, but totally unnecessary and performed worse.

In the end, just setting constant minimum RPM that's acceptable for noise and letting it linearly ramp up was almost always better.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I guess it would mostly depend on the fan motor design, but the fan stopping and starting once every minute would generally be worse than the fun running at a low RPM during idle and then increase as the temps rises, so just spend a few minutes tweaking the fan curve. If your CPU cooler/heatsink supports it, I would definately recommend replacing the fan if it sounds like it's dying, and you cannot go wrong with Noctua. The orientation of the fan should definately not matter at all.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

2 minutes ago, Fredrikmikael said:

I guess it would mostly depend on the fan motor design, but the fan stopping and starting once every minute would generally be worse than the fun running at a low RPM during idle and then increase as the temps rises, so just spend a few minutes tweaking the fan curve. If your CPU cooler/heatsink supports it, I would definately recommend replacing the fan if it sounds like it's dying, and you cannot go wrong with Noctua. The orientation of the fan should definately not matter at all.

How's putting one's finger in the fan and slowing it down or force stopping it? Is it as minor as if the fan was bigger and harder to turn for a few seconds?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

My old man is an electrician. Take from that what you will. What I've learned from him is that there is inherently what is known as an increased "surge load" at startup on most anything electrical combined with mechanical, such as electric compressors and electric motors, or anything driven by a motor. And that extra bit of heat and stress from the current draw through the coils to overcome inertia (or any other undue drag) can and will shorten lifespan over time. So whether from a bearing giving up from constant rotation or the windings / stator, etc.,  in the motors giving up, I really don't think you'll get any more life out of a fan either way.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

I have the cpu fan is set to start at a certain temperature. When the heatsink gets too hot, it starts but then soon stops again. This repeats at least 60 times each hour.

I hear a noise of a broken bearing once in a while. Not sure if its my gpu or my cpu fan.

edit: I just caught the cpu fan start and stop by chance and no noise took place. The plot tickens.

edit: ok so I confirm it is the cpu fan, and only at higher speeds and only in its current facing up position. I checked for obstruction.

edit: Scanned through a few set voltages and problem magically gone. Maybe I shaked the lubricant around a little while trying the different positions. I'll just put it upside down for a while if this happens again. I wonder if that PSU fan I replaced might have the same issue...I don't remember.

I'm pretty sure the constant starting and stopping ruined it.... I wonder how long it would last if I turned the cooler sideways.

serten barrings like different orientations some dont care what way it is. so that can shorten its life also slowing it down will put a load on the resister crating heat so that too could reduce the life of said controller. 

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links