Laptop double radiator mod

Hy guys I'm new here But I thought this was the correct community for this project.

my english will be bad sorry.
boring story part:

Spoiler

I have an asus K550J (gtx 850M, i7-4710HQ, 8gb ram) which has been serving me well for 7 years (more or less) and has been my only pc for at least 4 of them.

Didn't have any performance problems (except the furnace it became while gaming) because really the bulk gaming for the last 3 years was done on my desktop.

Now for life reasons I ended up not having access to my desktop for weeks at a time (this situation will probably last until end of 2023) and the gaming needs outgrew my laptop fast cause now I'm used to waaay better performances.

Tried parsec but the latency is so bad even non gaming is a pain.

Looking for a new laptop really nothing appealed to me  unless I started spending 2.5k or more for a super gamer looking laptop with the obvious problems of the price and the stupid looks.

I was puzzled for some time but then I got the solution:

• not game on laptop anymore and buy a steamdeck
  • wait for Italy availability of framework laptop (cause I'm not buying anything else since I saw what they do is possible)
  • mod my current laptop to hold on until such thing happens

For the steamdeck I'm in list but I'm not seeing it until end Q3.

For the framework I can't do much about it

And now for the real juice I have a plan:

2015-11-05-15_02_12.thumb.jpg.03bbc7fbe81e6021b1b28d91fd86f3a9.jpg

as you can see there is an optical drive but who needs one of those?

so I will remove it and place a new radiator in its place!

this is the other side of the motherboard

2015-11-05-15_08_05.thumb.jpg.3da8d4f370114a942e5193a16376c9f7.jpg

i ordered this thing because the shape seemed usable

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f513e2f65545c1d63dda1370dade6054.jpg

now here is a terrible made image with gimp to put things in contest

project.thumb.png.ce5d98aa62af6ddeedfb79b71256ac3c.png

mi questions now are:

• how to bend the heatpipes of the new cooler without destroying them
  • how to attach the new fan?
  • how to attach the new heatpipe to the existing one with good thermal transfer?

to attach the fan i was thinking about splitting the existing fan header so it wont be spinning 100% all the time but if it's not possible I was also thinking about pulling 5v from the sata of the optical drive and maybe limit the voltage in some hard wired way (don't know anything about circuits but I guess it wont be that hard)

and to attach the heatpipes together I was thinking maybe some kind of sandwitch with steel to squeeze together the pipes hard and a touch of thermal paste

or if it is too hard that way just thermal epoxy but I'm not sutre that would be really good at thermal conductivity.

as for the bending of the heatpipes I have no clue

I have a spare heatpipe (18 cm) if the lengths don't collaborate but the more separate parts the more heat transfer issues so I hope I don't need it

I know it's stupid but it seems like a really fun project to me I HOPE I don't break my laptop in the process but at this point is already underperforming so it's a matter of time before is replaced anyway

I was also wondering how to benchmark the before and after expecially since I can't control the room temperature

Do you have any other potential problem I'm not seeing?

those are heatsinks, radiators have water in them. 

i quote wikipedia

As electronic devices become smaller, the problem of dispersing waste heat becomes more difficult. Tiny radiators known as heat sinks are used to convey heat from the electronic components into a cooling air stream. Heatsinks do not use water, rather they conduct the heat from the source. High-performance heat sinks have copper to conduct better. Heat is transferred to the air by conduction and convection; a relatively small proportion of heat is transferred by radiation owing to the low temperature of semiconductor devices compared to their surroundings.

Radiators are also used in liquid cooling loops for rejecting heat.

you must be the funniest dude at parties

7 hours ago, buzzram said:

i quote wikipedia

you must be the funniest dude at parties

so wiki says that u are doing a heatsink mod, and tittle says radiator mod.   

isnt that what i said? 

On 4/1/2022 at 4:06 PM, NorKris said:

Anything that's purpose is to radiate heat is a radiator, we don't need a bunch of pedantry here, this persons native language is not English and their word choice is clear enough to get their point across. Technically if you want to be entirely pedantic about it then they are using the technically correct term according to your definition and being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

As for question of adding more thermal control devices to the laptop, bending heat pipes is tricky, you need to not kink them and have smooth bends. Flat heat pipes are very difficult to work with along their thin axis, when bending along the wide axis you need to hold the pipe flat between two surfaces to keep it from warping up or down and becoming damaged. Mounting in the bay is entirely up to you, glue, 3D printed parts, tape, whatever you think will hold it still. As for the fan you need to find the fan control chip and check it's specifications to see if it can handle driving two fans, if it can you just need to tap 3 wires off the 4 wire fan, +volt, ground, and PWM signal. Leave speed signal alone, two signals on one wire will confuse the fan controller. 

Question, where will the new fan be drawing it's air from?

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

this persons native language is not English

same with me 

41 minutes ago, NorKris said:

same with me 

So you understand why radiator is the technically correct term even by your definition that a radiator must have water in it, correct?

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

So you understand why radiator is the technically correct term even by your definition that a radiator must have water in it, correct?

no, read the wikipedia qoute. 

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

no, read the wikipedia qoute. 

Yes.

The radiator he wants to use has a heat pipe, yes? What's in a heat pipe?

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yes.

The radiator he wants to use has a heat pipe, yes? What's in a heat pipe?

heat pipe is what heatsinks use

tubes is what radiators use. whats ur point?

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Anything that's purpose is to radiate heat is a radiator, we don't need a bunch of pedantry here, this persons native language is not English and their word choice is clear enough to get their point across. Technically if you want to be entirely pedantic about it then they are using the technically correct term according to your definition and being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

As for question of adding more thermal control devices to the laptop, bending heat pipes is tricky, you need to not kink them and have smooth bends. Flat heat pipes are very difficult to work with along their thin axis, when bending along the wide axis you need to hold the pipe flat between two surfaces to keep it from warping up or down and becoming damaged. Mounting in the bay is entirely up to you, glue, 3D printed parts, tape, whatever you think will hold it still. As for the fan you need to find the fan control chip and check it's specifications to see if it can handle driving two fans, if it can you just need to tap 3 wires off the 4 wire fan, +volt, ground, and PWM signal. Leave speed signal alone, two signals on one wire will confuse the fan controller. 

Question, where will the new fan be drawing it's air from?

i was thinking about drilling new holes to draw the air but the existing holes are placed not direcly on top of the fan they are more in the middle (one on top of cpu and one on top of ram) so I didnt decide where yet because I don't want to make the air take a path where it doesnt hit vrms or the ram maybe I will just widen the existing ones. to mount the bay will probably use glue. as for the fan I am afraid the header could burn if I draw too much current, I don't know how the fan control works :does it change voltage or does it send same voltage always and tells the fan the speed with this PWM signal? if it's the second do you think I can get volt+ and ground from somwhere else and just split the PWM signal?

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

If I change the title will you be happy and leave us alone?

Just now, buzzram said:

If I change the title will you be happy and leave us alone?

i think this stuff is cool, so i prob will follow this. 👌

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i think this stuff is cool, so i prob will follow this. 👌

I get the fact that the water ones are usually called radiators and the air ones are called heatsinks. My point is that by my definition a heatsink is a radiator but I dont care enough to start researching the ethimology of the word radiator and if it wll end the argument I can change the name and make everyone happy

48 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Heat pipes use WATER as the working fluid to transfer heat. They move hear from the load to the radiator fin stack via closed loop water phase change cycle. So yes, it is a radiator by YOUR definition because it has WATER inside of it. That's my point. 

50 minutes ago, buzzram said:

i was thinking about drilling new holes to draw the air but the existing holes are placed not direcly on top of the fan they are more in the middle (one on top of cpu and one on top of ram) so I didnt decide where yet because I don't want to make the air take a path where it doesnt hit vrms or the ram maybe I will just widen the existing ones. to mount the bay will probably use glue. as for the fan I am afraid the header could burn if I draw too much current, I don't know how the fan control works :does it change voltage or does it send same voltage always and tells the fan the speed with this PWM signal? if it's the second do you think I can get volt+ and ground from somwhere else and just split the PWM signal?

Yes, you could run the fan like that, I hadn't even thought that way yet! That's exactly how it works, any 12V and ground works and just tap the PWM signal. Probably have 12V and ground at the old DVD drive header actually!

Just now, Bitter said:

Heat pipes use WATER as the working fluid to transfer heat. They move hear from the load to the radiator fin stack via closed loop water phase change cycle. So yes, it is a radiator by YOUR definition because it has WATER inside of it. That's my point. 

Radiators have water in the part where the fan cools/blows. 

Most heatpipes have some liquid in them that turns to gas/vapor. does ur aio's water turn into that? no

image.png.960a1a7eb5a4309499b36ba88bc3e983.png

19 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Radiators have water in the part where the fan cools/blows. 

Most heatpipes have some liquid in them that turns to gas/vapor. does ur aio's water turn into that? no

Your own definition was that radiators have water and that was how you defined the distinction. A heat sink using heat pipes has water in it which by your definition is now a radiator.

A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. A heat sink is a radiator, but a radiator is not a heat sink. Technically heat pipe coolers are not heat sinks because they do not work by direct heat conduction but by using a working fluid to move heat from one area to another, the fin stack is a radiator, the heat pipes are the closed loop.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Your own definition was that radiators have water and that was how you defined the distinction. A heat sink using heat pipes has water in it which by your definition is now a radiator.

A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. A heat sink is a radiator, but a radiator is not a heat sink. Technically heat pipe coolers are not heat sinks because they do not work by direct heat conduction but by using a working fluid to move heat from one area to another, the fin stack is a radiator, the heat pipes are the closed loop.

how about this, if u cut it open and water/liquid comes out, its a radiator/loop/AIO. 
If not its a heatpipe/heatsink. 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

how about this, if u cut it open and water/liquid comes out, its a radiator/loop/AIO. 
If not its a heatpipe/heatsink. 

Bro, look up how heat pipes are made and how they work. PC cooling heat pipes use water inside of them.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/insidebequiet/16

WATER, by your first nit picking definition it's a "radiators have water". You want to be all pedantic with semantics. You define a word to suite yourself then walk to back when your error is exposed. Maybe just don't be a jerk about these things to begin with. There was nothing wrong with what they said.

Just now, Bitter said:

Bro, look up how heat pipes are made and how they work. PC cooling heat pipes use water inside of them.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/insidebequiet/16

WATER, by your first nit picking definition it's a "radiators have water". You want to be all pedantic with semantics. You define a word to suite yourself then walk to back when your error is exposed. Maybe just don't be a jerk about these things to begin with. There was nothing wrong with what they said.

LF water. 
ur just arguing against wikipedia at this stage. 

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

LF water. 
ur just arguing against wikipedia at this stage. 

You're arguing against yourself 🤣

Just now, Bitter said:

You're arguing against yourself 🤣

No im not. 
but u stay put with ur nh-d15 radiator and h100i heatsink... 

27 minutes ago, NorKris said:

No im not. 
but u stay put with ur nh-d15 radiator and h100i heatsink... 

Read your first post in this thread. Then look at the heat pipe cooler. Then read how a heat pipe works. Then read your first post again.

I never said water cooling radiator is a heat sink, I said by YOUR definition

Their use of the word radiator is correct because a heat pipe cooler has water in it.

"those are heatsinks, radiators have water in them"

Heat pipes have water in them, ergo a heat pipe is a radiator.

8Gh.gif.e285e41ed52b9c062284041b07ba4755.gif