A mobile Computer??

Duplication_Toaster
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Sure, Windows 11 even has that built in.

Hey.

Yesterday, while I was thinking, I thought to myself, is it possible, to put a whole Intel processor into a phone? Or at least is it possible to put some sort of wires that connects a CPU into the phones socket or similar.

If it would be possible, i think it would completely dominate the mobile gaming market. Just imagine you have an Intel I9-9400 in your phone. You could do great gaming and maybe graphic designing?

So my question: Is it possible to put an Intel CPU into a phone?

Thanks!

If by "phone" you mean something bigger but still handheld, and it's a low power mobile processor instead of a big desktop chip then yes...

image.png.dea405aa741744f94a64576c2ef9bea4.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Duplication_Toaster said:

Hey.

Yesterday, while I was thinking, I thought to myself, is it possible, to put a whole Intel processor into a phone? Or at least is it possible to put some sort of wires that connects a CPU into the phones socket or similar.

If it would be possible, i think it would completely dominate the mobile gaming market. Just imagine you have an Intel I9-9400 in your phone. You could do great gaming and maybe graphic designing?

Thanks!

It's absolutely possible! There's nothing stopping Intel from putting their CPUs in phones/tablets.

Here's why they don't:

The overwhelming majority of applications consumers would want to use on a small touchscreen is optimized for ARM, not x86 chips

The chips are far FAR too big and power hungry to work in a mobile device

Making them consume the correct, lower amount of power would render their performance to be many many MANY times slower than you will be thinking

Almost all of the electricity that goes into a chip comes back out as heat, and phones and tablets do NOT have the size and shape to have effective coolers.

7 minutes ago, whispous said:

It's absolutely possible! There's nothing stopping Intel from putting their CPUs in phones/tablets.

Here's why they don't:

The overwhelming majority of applications consumers would want to use on a small touchscreen is optimized for ARM, not x86 chips

The chips are far FAR too big and power hungry to work in a mobile device

Making them consume the correct, lower amount of power would render their performance to be many many MANY times slower than you will be thinking

Almost all of the electricity that goes into a chip comes back out as heat, and phones and tablets do NOT have the size and shape to have effective coolers.

Well, makes sense.

But would it also be possible to emulate a whole android into a pc with all the power the components have?

Sure, Windows 11 even has that built in.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Duplication_Toaster said:

Well, makes sense.

But would it also be possible to emulate a whole android into a pc with all the power the components have?

Yea. Hugely inefficient, but it works.

7 hours ago, Duplication_Toaster said:

Hey.

Thanks!

There were smartphones with Intel x86 CPUs in them. Mobile chips, but they happened! But they never really did enough to stand out from the competition, and update timeliness was an issue due to the architecture.

But desktop CPUs, or even most laptop CPUs? No... not even the slightest chance.

To elaborate on what others have said: let's say you want a Core i9-12900K. That consumes 125W base power and 241W peak "turbo" power. For context, the thermal design power (the peak power draw a chip is typically expected to demand) for Apple's A15 chip is 6W. Guess what happens to your battery life when you demand at least 20 times as much power? And even a gaming-grade laptop chip will consume 35W (more likely 45W) or more. This isn't even including the GPU you'd need for gaming-level performance.

And then there's the heat. Notice how desktop CPUs often have large cooling fans and heat sinks on top, while cooling can chew up a significant amount of space inside a laptop? Now imagine trying to cram that into a phone that still fits into your pocket. They wouldn't be small enough, and what you could fit wouldn't be adequate. You'd cook the phone within minutes.

The closest you get to this is the M1 chip in Apple's iPad Air and iPad Pro tablets; it really is a computer-class chip as it's used in multiple Macs (MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac mini and iMac). For now, you'll just have to be content with phone-oriented chips like the A15 or Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.