Which thermalpaste and thermalpad are best for my laptop (MSI GT72VR 6RE)

Hi,

My laptop really needs a CPU and GPU repaste, since CPU is reaching temps over 70C by just opening a game (any game) and the GPU some 67C or more depending on the game.
Since the only offical MSI service store says it will take them two weeks to do this, I decided to go to a well known local store. But I was thinking what are the best thermal pads to replace the actual ones (almost 6 years since laptop's production) and the best thermal paste. I was offered this options: Cooler Master IC ESSENTIAL E2, EVGA FROSTBITE 2, Cooler Master MASTERGEL PRO, Cooler Master MASTERGEL MAKER.

Which thermal pad do you recommend? Is the thickness standard or should I ask MSI for such information?

Which thermal paste do you recommend me from the list above?

Do you recommend any other thermal paste better than those in the list?

I was also thinking on buying a laptop cooling base, which do you recommend?
Thanks.

8 minutes ago, jdjinn said:

Is the thickness standard or should I ask MSI for such information?

Ask MSI or use a pair of calipers to see what size the motherboard was using. If you don't wanna bother, get thermal putty, it usually performs a little better and you don't have to think about (though is a pain to clean if you ever need to do that).

Thermal paste, unless insanely crap, will perform within about 2-3C of each other under normal conditions. Go for whichever is cheapest, don't believe any of those are really crap.

Arctic MX-4 is a good option, performs well and is usually pretty cheap, but if it's much more than the ones on those list I wouldn't bother.

6 minutes ago, jdjinn said:

Hi,

My laptop really needs a CPU and GPU repaste, since CPU is reaching temps over 70C by just opening a game (any game) and the GPU some 67C or more depending on the game.
Since the only offical MSI service store says it will take them two weeks to do this, I decided to go to a well known local store. But I was thinking what are the best thermal pads to replace the actual ones (almost 6 years since laptop's production) and the best thermal paste. I was offered this options: Cooler Master IC ESSENTIAL E2, EVGA FROSTBITE 2, Cooler Master MASTERGEL PRO, Cooler Master MASTERGEL MAKER.

Which thermal pad do you recommend? Is the thickness standard or should I ask MSI for such information?

Thanks.

Thermal pads are extremely thickness sensitive, and companies tend not to publish the thickness of their thermal pads.  The standard move is to get a micrometer and measure the thickness of the pads it came with so you can get the same thickness.  If the current pads are in decent shape reusing them if possible is preferred.  The most conductive paste by a lot is liquid metal, but liquid metal is touchy and it will corrode some metals even if they’re present in tiny amounts as part of an alloy. Liquid metal is indium/gallium, and while indium is pretty non reactive, gallium is not.  It will eat aluminum for one thing, so if your cold plate is aluminum it’s more or less unusable.  The difference between cheap paste and expensive paste isn’t that large.  Paste is usually silicon oil filled with a conductive powder.  The filler material is usually silica powder, silver, or some sort of carbon. I used a diamond paste and got good results, but that was long ago.  Diamond pastes have a rep for being stiffer and harder to clean away than other types.  The temps aren’t low, but they’re not high for a laptop either.  Laptops are famous for running hot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, jdjinn said:

Hi,

Thanks.

70°C while starting up a game doesn't sound like that much. I get that too on my gaming laptop. How much power is your CPU drawing while booting up a game? Mine draws like 45-60 watts and goes to 70°C pretty quickly and in games, it sits at around 45-50 watts at a permanent 95°C while my GPU is at 85°C with a power draw of around 85 watts

13 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

70°C while starting up a game doesn't sound like that much. I get that too on my gaming laptop. How much power is your CPU drawing while booting up a game? Mine draws like 45-60 watts and goes to 70°C pretty quickly and in games, it sits at around 45-50 watts at a permanent 95°C while my GPU is at 85°C with a power draw of around 85 watts

Well, thing is, even the most basic game makes the CPU go that high, and it doesn't go down unless fans go full speed (even at this point temps dont go below 63°C and I'm pretty sure hotspot are higher) .

To play with such temps or having the fans at full speed isn't  a solution. My temporal solution is just to not play. 

How do I measure power drawing / watts? 

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Thermal pads are extremely thickness sensitive, and companies tend not to publish the thickness of their thermal pads.  The standard move is to get a micrometer and measure the thickness of the pads it came with so you can get the same thickness.  If the current pads are in decent shape reusing them if possible is preferred.  

Using the micrometer depends of the store. I'll ask them in advance. I'll try to contact MSI . If the thermal pads are in decent shape, then I'll ask at the store to reuse them.

18 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you don't wanna bother, get thermal putty, it usually performs a little better and you don't have to think about (though is a pain to clean if you ever need to do that).

I have no idea if the store uses this. I'll ask as well.

Any advice on the Cooling base? Since it is probable this laptop will be used afterwards on a 35°C highly humid location. I was thinking if a cooling base will help.