Custom Water Cooler PC; GPU Overheating

Go to solution Solved by Joshw25,
2 hours ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Did you spread the thermal paste around?

I did what EKWB instructions said to do, I am not sure if it was to spread it or an X and some extra. 

Hey Guys, 

I built this PC about a year ago the specs are: 

i5-10600k

RTX 3070 (ASUS ROG Strix)

32GB RAM

1TB Samsung 970 Evo SSD

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

I experience over heating with my GPU sometimes, I found that lowering settings in game helps and keeps it running reasonable (50-74 Degrees). Although sometimes it gets too hot and crashes the whole system and has to be rebooted. 

This is my second PC I have built except this is the first custom water cooled one so excuse the terrible bends on the tubing lol. If someone with better knowledge than me sees any kind of errors on my end with the loop please let me know. Also I have heard some people just simply take the block off and reapply thermal compound. I don't think its that I believe the loop is incorrectly configured. 

The Right tube from the GPU is going into the "IN" on the Pump/Reservoir sorry for only having one picture. 

IMG_2002.thumb.JPG.7f82e3e439b7da4c90f3f60238e62bb8.JPG

Is the pump running at full speed ? if not ,try setting it to full speed see if it helps.

otherwise....

its probably a bad mount.

You'll have to drain the loop , remove the GPU block, re-paste and remount.

Even if the entire loop is running in reverse, it shouldn't make that much of a difference, not enough to causing overheating at least.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Check the pump speed

Flush and refill the loop - I'm not sure but I'm maybe seeing bubbles in your GPU block ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Is the pump running at full speed ? if not ,try setting it to full speed see if it helps.

otherwise....

its probably a bad mount.

You'll have to drain the loop , remove the GPU block, re-paste and remount.

Even if the entire loop is running in reverse, it shouldn't make that much of a difference, not enough to causing overheating at least.

After a little bit of messing around I figured out that my pump was connected to a fan channel with other fans, NZXT controller that is built into the case, I disconnected all the fans and put 3 on one channel, another 3 on one channel and then the pump by itself. So far idle temps are great. I just have to try games now lol. Thanks for the tips. 

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Check the pump speed

Flush and refill the loop - I'm not sure but I'm maybe seeing bubbles in your GPU block ?

Correct, there is air in the loop. I have tried time and time again to flip the system and slowly take the reservoir top off and let the air out but it doesn't help much. 

2 hours ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Did you spread the thermal paste around?

I did what EKWB instructions said to do, I am not sure if it was to spread it or an X and some extra. 

• 7 months later...

Well well well ladies and gentlemen, after running my water cooled pc for 2 years basically with issues I finally said screw it and drained it and took the gpu apart to switch it back to air cooled. I found that the mount was bad, it was bad at first but from rotating the system attempting to remove air the card would sway and this caused the screws to work themselves loose, the thermal paste was clearly the issue with my system and mounting pressure lol. Second pic is current pc just needing the cpu cooler to come in. DC674576-47F3-4777-BBB1-3E25F7F47F78.thumb.jpeg.672d4b649f88b9100d0360f63b69a69f.jpeg69EFCE64-F1B8-405F-86B0-55676F4E1533.thumb.jpeg.8e7d867747617c6a2c783676728dcea0.jpeg