Your Mining Rig Setup

Scrap the HAF XB - only holds 3 dual slots and that 200mm isn't very effective when the cards are sandwiched together. I actually run mine with the roof panel off.

For a "case" check out HIghpoints new mining tech stations. They have a second GPU area above the first, for use with pci-e expanders. Looks very nice. Or one of our members, Spotswood, also make custom tech cases. Talk with him...

Very true. I was running my cards in a Phantom 630 with a 200mm side fan AND an empty slot in between them with more airflow coming  from the front and bottom. The cards still would get to the low 90s, this is how you damage your components running for extended periods of time. When I moved to my custom rig with pci-e risers the temps dropped a full 20 degrees and I can expand and run up to 5 cards.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

My Rigs are:

DNS Name: HOMESERVER

CPU: AMD x6 1090T (Stock) (gets around 40gflops)

Ram: 16GB

GPU: 550Ti 1GB

PPD F@H: ~26k

BitCoin hashes: ~50M/hashes

Clevo W110ER

DNS Name: Computer

CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM (gets 79gflops)

Ram: 16GB

GPU: 650M 2GB

PPD F@H: 28K

BitCoin Hashes: 35M/Hashes

This is really just for fun.. I am looking to get a cheap AMD card in the future.  

I hope to upgrade my 7870 within the next year, so I'm not too worried about burning it TBH. but yes, 24/7 does put more wear n tear on the card. especially cause I got it at 1160mhz and 100% fan (but it does remain under 55 degrees centigrade)

I'll upgrade to the next AMD flagship whenever it comes, I'll make sure I have a reference PCB so I can block it later.

I don't understand why the serious miners (3+cards) rely on air cooling. with that kind of investment, you can even overclock if you have all the cards blocked. and it doesn't sound like a jet engine either.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I hope to upgrade my 7870 within the next year, so I'm not too worried about burning it TBH. but yes, 24/7 does put more wear n tear on the card. especially cause I got it at 1160mhz and 100% fan (but it does remain under 55 degrees centigrade)

I'll upgrade to the next AMD flagship whenever it comes, I'll make sure I have a reference PCB so I can block it later.

I don't understand why the serious miners (3+cards) rely on air cooling. with that kind of investment, you can even overclock if you have all the cards blocked. and it doesn't sound like a jet engine either.

I would definitely let your temps go higher and slow down that fan. Your fan is gonna go out if you run it 100% 24/7, you aren't gonna hurt your card at anywhere near  55 degrees.

Also air cooling is perfectly sufficient if you use a proper case with pci-e risers. As for noise, most dedicated miners such as mine are somewhere where they don't bother someone such as in the basement like mine.

That being said I also am getting reference PCB cards so if mining becomes unprofitable I can watercool and set up a 4x7970 config in my main gaming pc.

I have 3 6950's and a 7770 mining Litecoins. I use my 7770 at home for some gaming sometimes(yes I know Im cheap) but the 6950's mine 24/7. I churn out about 1400-1500 KH/s :)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I bought a used lenovo thinkcentre M57 w/ core 2 duo from a computer recycling place for cheap and replaced the power supply with a seasonic G550 and added a HD7970. Currently milking it for 700~ kH/s

Only because 3 blocks plus all the "extras" costs a fair amount of coin. My GPU rigs are all away in a crawl space, so running fans at 1005 doesn't bother me. Also, a lot of the time, I get cards that are deals and on sale. Typically you can only get blocks for newer, reference cards...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:  You will fry your 1500w PSU and massively overheat a few $1000 graphic cards like that. Also your case only has 7 expansion slots, good luck fitting 4 cards in there. 

just get a HAF X case, if you are spending $5k on your set up, no need to mod, and heaps of room for dual 200mm rads if you so choose. 

Does anyone know if the Titan outperforms a 690/7990 card for mining?

The biggest thing that puts me off mining is the cost of electricity in Australia I believe makes it not very profitable (if you can get any profit at all).

I5-4670k @ 4.2ghz With Thermaltake C5 Push/Pull | 8Gb G.Skill Trident series @1600mhz Msi Z87A-G45 Gaming Edition | ASUS GTX 770 GPU | Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W | Samsung 840pro 128gb SSD | WD Green 2Tb |  2X 23" Philips M4238C1CWWT (IPS & Thin Bezel) Monitors

just get a HAF X case, if you are spending $5k on your set up, no need to mod, and heaps of room for dual 200mm rads if you so choose. 

Does anyone know if the Titan outperforms a 690/7990 card for mining?

The biggest thing that puts me off mining is the cost of electricity in Australia I believe makes it not very profitable (if you can get any profit at all).

AMD will crush Nvidia at mining. A $150 dollar AMD card can probably beat a titan. :D

yes, a titan or a 690 are both terrible. a 7750 could beat either of them. get a 7990 if you really have that big a budget, or get two 7970 ghz ed.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I'm running 2 7970s @ 1150mhz and get about .07 btc per day at btcguild

AMD will crush Nvidia at mining. A $150 dollar AMD card can probably beat a titan. :D

Very interesting... I wonder why that is

I5-4670k @ 4.2ghz With Thermaltake C5 Push/Pull | 8Gb G.Skill Trident series @1600mhz Msi Z87A-G45 Gaming Edition | ASUS GTX 770 GPU | Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W | Samsung 840pro 128gb SSD | WD Green 2Tb |  2X 23" Philips M4238C1CWWT (IPS & Thin Bezel) Monitors

Very interesting... I wonder why that is

Nvidia is anti-mining. They intend their cards for silly things like playing games. wink.gif

I have 2x 7970, 1 7950 and 1 6870 mining litecoins when ever I'm not gaming.

This setup makes me $15 a day a current litecoin prices, not that I'm selling.

dIMAG0373_zps06d953eb.jpg

I'm just curious ,Ive been wanting to get into mining but know little about it :(

I do not know if you can even answer my question but I thought I would just ask

My question is, I have 3 9750's, around how much can I make a day mining my rig?

Here is a pic of my rig

IMAG0130_zps701902c0.jpg

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'm just curious ,Ive been wanting to get into mining but know little about it :(

I do not know if you can even answer my question but I thought I would just ask

My question is, I have 3 9750's, around how much can I make a day mining my rig?

Here is a pic of my rig

IMAG0130_zps701902c0.jpg

You could do very well with litecoins, 7950 are the best card to have for KH/s / watt, and I plan to get some more myself very soon. My voltage unlocked MSI 7950 can push 630 KH/s, but even at a conservative  500KH/s each for your cards you are looking at around 8 dollars a day at the current difficulty and a market price of $3.25. If this doesn't seem like a lot remember that that is $240 a month and if the prices went up to say $5 dollars and you held on to a months worth of coins you would be sitting on $370, more than enough to pay for one of your cards. Heat might be an issue for your middle card but you could probably run the top and bottom cards only for long periods of time without any trouble.

You could do very well with litecoins, 7950 are the best card to have for KH/s / watt, and I plan to get some more myself very soon. My voltage unlocked MSI 7950 can push 630 KH/s, but even at a conservative  500KH/s each for your cards you are looking at around 8 dollars a day at the current difficulty and a market price of $3.25. If this doesn't seem like a lot remember that that is $240 a month and if the prices went up to say $5 dollars and you held on to a months worth of coins you would be sitting on $370, more than enough to pay for one of your cards. Heat might be an issue for your middle card but you could probably run the top and bottom cards only for long periods of time without any trouble.

Thank you so much for the tips, I think some time this week, I will try litecoining for the first time :)

P.S. All my 7950's can be unlocked on the Voltage. the 2 XFX cards can be bumped to 1.3V and the Sapphire one can be bumped to 1.32 Volts, is that good in mining? just wondering

P.S.S. my top XFX 7950 can be overclocked to 1200 on the core clock and 1700 on the memory clock at 1.3V the middle XFX card can be over clocked to 1200 on the core clock and 1645 on the memory clock at 1.3V and the bottom card can be overcloked to 1175 on the core clock and 1565 on the memory clock at 1.3V. Can you overclock on mining and if so does it help gain more coins?

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

Thank you so much for the tips, I think some time this week, I will try litecoining for the first time :)

P.S. All my 7950's can be unlocked on the Voltage. the 2 XFX cards can be bumped to 1.3V and the Sapphire one can be bumped to 1.32 Volts, is that good in mining? just wondering

P.S.S. my top XFX 7950 can be overclocked to 1200 on the core clock and 1700 on the memory clock at 1.3V the middle XFX card can be over clocked to 1200 on the core clock and 1645 on the memory clock at 1.3V and the bottom card can be overcloked to 1175 on the core clock and 1565 on the memory clock at 1.3V. Can you overclock on mining and if so does it help gain more coins?

For litecoin mining overclocking the  the memory can give much higher KH/s. On the voltage side I bumbed mine up to try and get max KH/s, but I believe some lower them to save power. Don't be afraid to try some mining, a month ago I was where you are at now with some great mining cards but knowing nothing about it, now I am completely hooked. ;)

For litecoin mining overclocking the  the memory can give much higher KH/s. On the voltage side I bumbed mine up to try and get max KH/s, but I believe some lower them to save power. Don't be afraid to try some mining, a month ago I was where you are at now with some great mining cards but knowing nothing about it, now I am completely hooked. ;)

I'm hoping to get hooked on it as well :), Thank you again for explaining it a little better for me bro, it is much appreciated

7950 Bitcoin mining using GUIminer, I could declock the memory all the way down to minimum, leaving core at 1200 and still getting 597Mh/s.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

7950 Bitcoin mining using GUIminer, I could declock the memory all the way down to minimum, leaving core at 1200 and still getting 597Mh/s.

Litecoin mining works completely different than bitcoin. For Bitcoin you need core speed, for litecoin you need memory. At least partially because of this ASICs cannot be used for litecoin, so I see far more potential for GPU miners who are just starting out.

then the 7970 6gb edition must be a beast, correct?

Daily Driver:

I'm not sure but I would guess that you need memory speed and the memory amount does not matter a lot

330 Mh/s with my HD 7850.  :)

I use CGMiner with special settings -> http://www.brandonorndorff.com/bitcoin/mining/radeon-hd7850-7870-cgminer-config-settings-bitcoin/

| Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.8Ghz | MSI Z77A-G45 | Sapphire HD Radeon 7850 | 2x4GB Crosair Vengeance Memory @ 1600Mhz | OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU | DeepCool Rockman fan controller | 1.25TB of storage |

I'm not sure but I would guess that you need memory speed and the memory amount does not matter a lot

Correct, even using reaper which is a very inefficient miner only uses about 1.5Gb of RAM on a 7970, normal 3Gb cards are fine.

so what hardware would you suggest for a litecoin miner?

Daily Driver: