How multi-monitor setup work? What are my options if I want to connect 6-8 monitor.

ramanX

Half baked knowledge and questions are as follows:

-DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 can support upto 8K 60Hz? So we can spilt signal from DP2.0 to multi 1440p or 1080p ?

-If for instance a GPU has 1 DP 1.4 and 3 HDMI 2.1 and it can support 7680x4320 resolution then can we spilt it to 4 X 1080p only via DP 1.4 splitter hub? Then remaining 3 HDMI ports would be useless ?

-What is benefit of using each port of GPU over splitting single DP or HDMI?

-8K 60Hz = 4K 120Hz = 2x 2K 240Hz = 4x 1080p ?Hz - - - I don't know what I am talking about now.

-Multi-monitor setup requires powerful CPU. 5600X won't be able to support 6 or 8 monitor?

-What else should I know regarding multi-monitor setup.

Please HELP.

27 minutes ago, ramanX said:

-DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 can support upto 8K 60Hz? So we can spilt signal from DP2.0 to multi 1440p or 1080p ?

As far as I know, only DisplayPort supports daisy-chaining of monitors, known as Multi-Stream Transport (MST). This requires a monitor that has both an input and an output port. However, it does not increase the maximum number of monitors supported by your GPU. If your GPU is limited to 4 monitors, it doesn't matter if you attach them individually or daisy-chain them, you can only have four.

-If for instance a GPU has 1 DP 1.4 and 3 HDMI 2.1 and it can support 7680x4320 resolution then can we spilt it to 4 X 1080p only via DP 1.4 splitter hub? Then remaining 3 HDMI ports would be useless ?

Essentially, yes.

Doesn't require a monitor with MST support.

-8K 60Hz = 4K 120Hz = 2x 2K 240Hz = 4x 1080p ?Hz - - - I don't know what I am talking about now.

Something like that. You need to know the technology that is used (e.g. DP 2.0), to look up its bandwidth. The bandwidth can then be used to calculate the maximum refresh rate based on resolution etc. There's a calculator for this here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc

-Multi-monitor setup requires powerful CPU. 5600X won't be able to support 6 or 8 monitor?

First and foremost, multi-monitor requires a powerful GPU. Many consumer level GPUs only support 4–6 displays, no matter how many ports they have. Though for simple desktop applications even a weak GPU will do. If you want to game on higher resolutions and/or multiple monitors, it's a different story.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

his requires a monitor that has both an input and an output port.

There are hubs you can buy that can split this for you, though they aren't really recommended and usually more of a headache than it's worth. 

A common solution is (or used to be) buying multiple GPUs.  If each GPU can support 4 monitors, you can get 8 displays with 2 GPUs, but there are some caveats.

First, you can run into a situation where you're starving both cards (not enough PCIe lanes to go around).  If you're running mostly lower-weight applications, this shouldn't be a major issue to correct.

Second, it may impact performance even outside the starvation issue - there's some scheduling weirdness that can happen.

Third, I shudder to think of the nightmare of managing those drivers.

It's also worth noting that 7680x4320 works out to 16x 1080p in terms of raw pixels, and 60Hz 8k is more like 240Hz 4k, or 4x 4k 60Hz.  There are devices that can break this down (look for things like "Video Wall Converter" since that's their primary use is large video walls made up of multiple panels) if you really need such a thing for this.

But, as ever, the first step of problem solving is really "why are you trying to solve this particular problem" - where do you think you'll need 6-8 monitors?

There are Displayport MST splitters, haven't used any myself tho.

Tho, If I remember right, even with those splitters it's still a maximum of monitors per GPU on the spec sheet, I remember it being 6 for one GPU for many years ago but don't know if it has changed.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, ramanX said:

Half baked knowledge and questions are as follows:

-What else should I know regarding multi-monitor setup.

Please HELP.

Maximum resolution specification is per port, it isn't split between ports. HDMI does not support multiple independent displays on a single port. DisplayPort does, via an MST hub. NVIDIA GeForce cards are limited to 4 displays, through any combination of hubs or independent connections. Radeon cards suppprt up to 6. If you want more you can add additional graphics cards. DisplayPort 2.0 products do not exist yet.