How do I stop my brother from getting an iPhone?

Kazooduck
Go to solution Solved by igormp,
1 minute ago, Kazooduck said:

It’s more the fact that he doesn’t weigh the benefits of both. I realize that androids lack of support is a big deal, but the fact that he didn’t look far enough to even find that bothers me.

Along with the fact that it shouldn't bother you, since it's his phone and not yours. Let him make his "uninformed" decision, and if he regrets it later on, great, he learned from their mistakes like many people do (and you can even be an ass and go all out with a "I told you so!"). Otherwise, if he likes his purchase and is happy with it, then it's none of your business. 

Worst case scenario would be he getting an android phone due to sheer pressure out of you then regretting it.

My 12 year old brother is about to get his first phone, and he really wants the iPhone 13. I’m assuming it’s because that is what his friends have, but we are primarily an android family, and I ask him for an informed decision on why the iPhone over an s22 or a pixel, and he can’t give one. (I’m definitely a little salty that he would get iMessage, but I don’t really care)

my question is, is it right for me to convince him against it? I love modding my phone and kitting it out, but he isn’t as tech savvy, nor does he care as much. If he really just wants to follow the herd, should I stop him? And if I should, how do I?

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

my question is, is it right for me to convince him against it?

No.

If he really just wants to follow the herd, should I stop him?

Nope.

No reason to cry over other people's decisions. If he wants an iPhone, what's the problem?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Let him figure out what he wants on his own. This should not affect you in the least.

1 minute ago, igormp said:

No.

Nope.

No reason to cry over other people's decisions. If he wants an iPhone, what's the problem?

My problem isn’t with him wanting an iPhone, it’s the lack of an informed decision. I don’t clown on iPhone users more than they clown on me ;D. I just want him to be able to make a real decision. Also I think he wants the standard size over the mini because his friends might not like the mini and think it’s poor? I think the large form factors have no upsides, and want him to think for himself really.

check your cables!

3 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

My problem isn’t with him wanting an iPhone, it’s the lack of an informed decision. I don’t clown on iPhone users more than they clown on me ;D. I just want him to be able to make a real decision. Also I think he wants the standard size over the mini because his friends might not like the mini and think it’s poor? I think the large form factors have no upsides, and want him to think for himself really.

You want him to think for himself by influencing his decision?  Dude it's just a phone, let the kid get what he wants.

It’s a lot of money for a phone, especially when you compare to the IPhone SE.

Both are excellent phones, both have excellent screens and cameras, good processors etc,.

Is one worth nearly three times the other?

Is it three times better?

I’m very happy with my SE...

Having listened to my father grumble about his iPhone 8 (because he's too cheap to upgrade or pay for a better phone in the first place), I agree with the others, just smile and laugh when he has trouble with it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Its just a phone, the whole "iphone users" and "android users" thing is weak, I would just drop it, not everyone cares on that level. 

I've had flagship Android handsets for years but this past year I finally bought an iPhone (12 Pro Max) and its been fantastic. 

you could let him, then he will have a good phone, and be able to make his own decision..... i will never understand why people are such brand loyalists, i have owned almost as many iphones as androids, and all of my iphones(except the 7) lasted longer and worked far better. to each his own lmao

Let him do what he wants. Tho like a iphone 13 for a 12 year old is kinda extreme as it's a very expensive phone and most 12 year olds are anything but careful with those devices.

1 minute ago, kardiff said:

You want him to think for himself by influencing his decision?  Dude it's just a phone, let the kid get what he wants.

I want him to think for himself, I want to know how to get him thinking, because just encouraging it isn’t the best decision. Also, an early iPhone purchase ropes you into the ecosystem, fact that he immediately goes to the big one instead of the se or the mini. It’s not just a phone, it’s a BIG financial decision. I understand it’s not his money, but poor tech purchases such as my surface, are discouraging.

check your cables!

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

it's just a tool to contact people with. if he wants the one with an apple on the back than let the kid do what he wants. 

It’s really not just a tool to contact people with, +the fact that neither of us are allowed social media with yet really puts down the want for the most features and fun you can get out of it, I want to share my experiences too.

check your cables!

I want him to think for himself, I want to know how to get him thinking, because just encouraging it isn’t the best decision. Also, an early iPhone purchase ropes you into the ecosystem, fact that he immediately goes to the big one instead of the se or the mini. It’s not just a phone, it’s a BIG financial decision. I understand it’s not his money, but poor tech purchases such as my surface, are discouraging.

so you want him to think for himself, just as long as it is how you think.

Except its not a poor tech purchase, its the most well known device on the planet. 

You have a problem with iPhones and its clouding your judgement here. 

Its just a phone.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its just a phone, the whole "iphone users" and "android users" thing is weak, I would just drop it, not everyone cares on that level. 

I've had flagship Android handsets for years but this past year I finally bought an iPhone (12 Pro Max) and its been fantastic. 

That’s great for you, I agree that the 2 sides is weak, but making an uninformed decision is worse in my book. If you have experienced both and prefer the iPhone i think that’s cool, he just hasn’t.

check your cables!

Just now, Kazooduck said:

That’s great for you, I agree that the 2 sides is weak, but making an uninformed decision is worse in my book. If you have experienced both and prefer the iPhone i think that’s cool, he just hasn’t.

So in your opinion, he should just experience your side first?

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

so you want him to think for himself, just as long as it is how you think.

You aren’t getting this, he hasn’t even said one reason why it’s better in 2 days. The one thing he said was how the keynote said it was faster than the last iPhone.

check your cables!

8 minutes ago, Captainbeaky said:

It’s a lot of money for a phone, especially when you compare to the IPhone SE.

Both are excellent phones, both have excellent screens and cameras, good processors etc,.

Is one worth nearly three times the other?

Is it three times better?

I’m very happy with my SE...

If he wanted the se i wouldn’t stop him because he would have to look a bit for that, and he would definitely know that was right.

check your cables!

4 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

You want him to think like you think not for himself.

It's just a phone. yes it's a EXPENSIVE phone and as a parent I would absolutely not allow this before they can prove themselves with a cheaper device and take good care of it. If it's their own money whatever if it breaks not my problem. There is a old phone in the drawer to replace it somewhere probably.

In the end it's a phone. It will phone like any other phone.

You aren’t getting this, he hasn’t even said one reason why it’s better in 2 days. The one thing he said was how the keynote said it was faster than the last iPhone.

You can say that about any android phone too. In the end if he wants the damn phone let him buy the damn phone. If he likes it great if he dislikes it then well great he can try another one in 4 years or so.

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

So in your opinion, he should just experience your side first?

Exactly! I’ve shown him my setups and he seems fascinated, but as soon as I said that iOS can’t get the same level he stopped caring.

check your cables!

He wants an iPhone. So what? Why should he have to justify his decision about which phone he wants to you? Even if his only reasoning is that all his friends have iPhones I don't see why that should make you care about it so much. This doesn't sound like you want him to think for himself at all. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

4 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

i get what you are saying, i definitely don't think you are getting what i(and many others) are saying lol

mods are probably going to close this one soon lol

2 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

Exactly! I’ve shown him my setups and he seems fascinated, but as soon as I said that iOS can’t get the same level he stopped caring.

you really don't see the problem there... like.. at all?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can say that about any android phone too. In the end if he wants the damn phone let him buy the damn phone. If he likes it great if he dislikes it then well great he can try another one in 4 years or so.

In our Household, I’m probably going to be on my s10e until I turn 18(4 more years), which is fine, because I know how to root and extend support, but I did a lot of research on this.

check your cables!