Is DDR5 worth it?

Is it really worth it's current price point? I was thinking of buying it only to future proof my PC...

Cheese

Short answer - no!

Longer answer - not at this price point.

Assuming the prices are still absurd, aka practically twice the cost.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Short answer - no!

Longer answer - not at this price point.

Assuming the prices are still absurd, aka practically twice the cost.

I found 32gb for $400. I honestly might do it to future proof....

Cheese

You have to watch though, the DDR5 out now is new, just like when DDR4 came out this is the equivalent of DDR4 2133 or 2400mhz.  By the time you are going to want to upgrade, the DDR5 you get now will be "old" and "slow",  new DDR5 will have better timing and faster MT/s and you will want to get it to get the most out of the CPU of  the time.

5 minutes ago, Amer said:

$400 AUD?

DDR4 3600 are almost equal ( https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/GkJgXL/team-t-create-expert-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-cl18-memory-ttced432g3600hc18jdc01 )

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i9_12900k_ddr4_versus_ddr5_performance_review,19.html

Al this assuming, that you mostly care about gaming performance.

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Honestly I won't lie, the main reason why I wanted to get DDR5 is because there's no black ASUS Strix LGA 1700 boards for DDR4...... I want my rig to be black :@

Cheese

1 minute ago, Amer said:

Honestly I won't lie, the main reason why I wanted to get DDR5 is because there's no black ASUS Strix LGA 1700 boards for DDR4...... I want my rig to be black :@

If you have the money for DDR5 board and RAM right now, the prices of DDR5 will most likely fall in the future you have the option to upgrade RAM if necessary.

Up to you.

i mean, if you want to buy it. it's your money, and you seem to want justification to buy it, so go for it lol. as far as future proof, and it being worth the money, it's definitely not imo, at least for now. prices will drop over the next few years, and since it's early for ddr5, will likely have much better versions at cheaper prices over the next couple years.

4 hours ago, Amer said:

Is it really worth it's current price point? I was thinking of buying it only to future proof my PC...

No not right now.

As with all first gen stuff avoid and wait for the next generation. Ddr4 is a good example. The 2133mhz stuff was fine for 6th,7th and 8th gen intel cpu's but from then on it became A LOT more important to get faster ram to the point that the perfromance difference got REALLY noticeable. Amd had this from basically day one and the difference was rather huge. The 2133mhz stuff could limit the cpu by up to 30% compared to the 3600mhz cl16 stuff.

Same story with ddr3 and ddr2 and ddr and.... only it gets worse every time. It's predicted that ddr5 is to reach well past 6000mhz so ya know even getting current high end stuff is going to be very slow in a couple years because the latency will drop drastically and of course the price. It's going to be CHEAPER and BETTER to get faster better ram later when you need to upgrade again instead of keeping the slow first gen stuff.

So basically get a decent ddr4 board with decent ddr4 ram (cl16 3600mhz is the sweet spot for value, performance and compatibility) and run with it.

3 hours ago, Amer said:

You won't. As always it's thrown away money.

Buying DDR5 now to future proof at an expensive rate is not really future proofing; all you'd be doing to "future proof" is by buying a DDR5 motherboard in hopes in the "future" you'll be able to put in faster DDR5 than we presently have...which is more money on top.

Given most DDR5 isn't really better than existing high-end DDR4, you're better off saving the difference vs. marked up DDR5 and putting it towards a platform upgrade....in the future. The money you saved by not buying marked up DDR5 now + the fact you'd need to buy new fast DDR5 in "the future" anyway is probably better off spent just upgrading..."in the future."

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Alright thank you everyone I won't be getting the DDR5 ❤️

Cheese