Disk Management sees new 6TB WD Black but won't format.

An0maly_76
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
23 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

It automatically sees the partition as GPT, but will not give me an option to format it. Machine it is currently installed in (backing up old files for new machine) has a Win10 install with all other drives set up for NTFS. Could that be the problem? Can you not have a drive with GPT partition in use with other drives formatted NTFS?

GPT is a partitioning scheme, NTFS is a filesystem for a partition.  Does it actually HAVE any partitions on it?  Generally on a new drive you have to create a new partition and then format that.

It automatically sees the partition as GPT, but will not give me an option to format it. Machine it is currently installed in (backing up old files for new machine) has a Win10 install with all other drives set up for NTFS. Could that be the problem? Can you not have a drive with GPT partition in use with other drives formatted NTFS?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

See if this is of any use to you.

I would use CMD but I wrote instructions for Disk Management as well. You might like to try cleaning the drive (erasing all configuration data) and starting from scratch,

Having other drives installed should not influence you ability to partition this drive by the way.

It's a brand-new drive, would I still need to erase configuration data?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

23 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

GPT is a partitioning scheme, NTFS is a filesystem for a partition.  Does it actually HAVE any partitions on it?  Generally on a new drive you have to create a new partition and then format that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

So basically I just asked the world's dumbest question.... 🙄

So does 5,723,149 MB sound right for a 6TB drive then? I know formatting never gets 100% capacity.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

16 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

So basically I just asked the world's dumbest question.... 🙄

So does 5,723,149 MB sound right for a 6TB drive then? I know formatting never gets 100% capacity.

It looks right to me.

Have you managed to make partition?

4 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

It looks right to me.

Have you managed to make partition?

Already had one. Just had to format it once you straightened out that GPT is partitioning and formatting is NTFS. Of course, it looks to take 35 hours to finish.... 🤣

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Already had one. Just had to format it once you straightened out that GPT is partitioning and formatting is NTFS. Of course, it looks to take 35 hours to finish.... 🤣

It wasn't me who explained partitioning schemes and file systems 😄

35 hours for what?

Just now, uzivkovic97 said:

It wasn't me who explained partitioning schemes and file systems 😄

35 hours for what?

Formatting took 20 minutes to reach 1%. LOL

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Formatting took 20 minutes to reach 1%. LOL

That's weird, it usually just does a quick format which takes a few seconds.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I don't know if quick format is best for a brand-new drive.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I don't know if quick format is best for a brand-new drive.

It's completely fine. I never performed anything but quick format on any of my drives.

1 minute ago, uzivkovic97 said:

It's completely fine. I never performed anything but quick format on any of my drives.

Too late now LOL. I timed 4-5 minutes per 1%. Works out to 91 hours...

JFC.jpg.efd0dca61a5d30b5838209430a37f700.jpg

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Too late now LOL. I timed 4-5 minutes per 1%. Works out to 91 hours...

Can you stop it and perform quick format? 

Yeah, but I didn't want to assign a drive letter because it's going in another system later. Wouldn't that make it stick to that drive letter in another system?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah, but I didn't want to assign a drive letter because it's going in another system later. Wouldn't that make it stick to that drive letter in another system?

It shouldn't, but if that somehow happens, you can always change drive letter through disk management when you connect it to the system you want to use it in.

Great. When it comes to transferring files from the old machine to the new, I find it much easier to back up portions of a 1TB M.2 and 2TB HDD to a 6TB HDD mounted in the host system, then just swap the 6TB to the new system, seeing as that's where it's ultimately going to wind up anyway.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Great. When it comes to transferring files from the old machine to the new, I find it much easier to back up portions of a 1TB M.2 and 2TB HDD to a 6TB HDD mounted in the host system, then just swap the 6TB to the new system, seeing as that's where it's ultimately going to wind up anyway.

I'd probably do the same myself 😄
Have you formated the drive already?

19 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I'd probably do the same myself 😄
Have you formated the drive already?

Yup. Backing up files from the old system now.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!