Refurbished 2230s

kennethk

Cause steamdeck, my question simply being is their a huge reason to be cautious if purchasing refurbished 2230s on eBay as long as the pins are okay should last a long while shouldn't they? Compared to a refurbished hdd that may have a shorter life span. 

Kind of hard to find them brand new without being more expensive obviously. 

Used/refurbished drives are always a gamble. You could get a drive that has been barely touched and only really used as an OS drive, or you could get a drive that was used for Chia plotting. You really can't tell, and while it's usually OK, it's up to you whether the amount you save is worth losing your data and the drive. Personally, unless you're getting over half off and not using it for anything important, I wouldn't risk it. 

There is always a risk when purchasing a used storage drive no matter the type. You don't know until you get it how much use it's had or how well it was taken care of. Was the drive used in an extremely hot environment? Was it used as a scratch disk all the time? Who knows. 

I recently upgraded the boot drive in my main PC. The drive I had been using was an old 960GB Crucial M500 that had well over 70TB of data written to it before I got it. It was still in good health though, so I used it, and it still works perfectly to this day. It was free, so that risk was worth it to me. Is the data you're going to be storing on the drive worth the savings you'd get from going with a used drive? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

14 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

There is always a risk when purchasing a used storage drive no matter the type. You don't know until you get it how much use it's had or how well it was taken care of. Was the drive used in an extremely hot environment? Was it used as a scratch disk all the time? Who knows. 

I recently upgraded the boot drive in my main PC. The drive I had been using was an old 960GB Crucial M500 that had well over 70TB of data written to it before I got it. It was still in good health though, so I used it, and it still works perfectly to this day. It was free, so that risk was worth it to me. Is the data you're going to be storing on the drive worth the savings you'd get from going with a used drive? 

If it's just for game files I'd say it's not a huge deal and heard Valve is going to have clouds saves I've seen 512gb 2230s for like $65 it's just hard to find them new at standard price, I wasn't sure if life capacity could still beat out that of a mechanical drive vs flash storage.