LGA 1151 cooler not fitting in my socket?

Koshi32

as i recently got my first tower, i quickly found that the cooler was defective. however, upon ordering a replacement per my intel I7-7700's LGA 1151 socket, i realized that the cooler did not fit. 

i re-checked the listing, and it had multiple sockets listed in the title- LGA 1151/1150/1155/1156 & AMD AM4, which seemed strange to me. could it be these sockets all have the same size mounting bracket, or that the seller sent me the wrong one? how can i be sure of the size of cooler needed for my computer? any help would be great.

1 minute ago, Koshi32 said:

i re-checked the listing, and it had multiple sockets listed in the title- LGA 1151/1150/1155/1156 & AMD AM4, which seemed strange to me. could it be these sockets all have the same size mounting bracket

Intel mounting system was identical for multiple socket generations. AM4 is totally different and would require a different set of mounting hardware. If the cooler purportedly supports both Intel and AMD, it should have come with two sets of mounting hardware.

What is the cooler you bought?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

What is the cooler you bought?

it was listed as "CoolJag LGA1156 LGA1155 LGA1150 LGA1151 CPU Heatsink Fan Cooler". AM4 was included in the product details.

that looks like the same cooler, but it did not fit- it seemed to be off by a few MM. I'm sure of the socket, but i can't figure out why it doesn't fit.

That looks like a piece of total shit that wouldn't be any improvement over the stock Intel or AMD coolers, maybe even worse. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

38 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That looks like a piece of total shit that wouldn't be any improvement over the stock Intel or AMD coolers, maybe even worse. 

well, i'm not looking for a good cooler. i'm just looking for anything that works so i can get the computer running.

6 hours ago, Koshi32 said:

well, i'm not looking for a good cooler. i'm just looking for anything that works so i can get the computer running.

if so, this seemingly doesnt seem like a good choice at all, get an intel stock cooler on ebay for like 20 bucks or whatever. or if your budget allows, an nhu-12s redux from noctua would be a fantastic choice for a decent price. Edit: just notice the ebay link posted the seller didnt even remove thermal paste. all the more reason to not buy random coolers from unknown brands from anywhere.

17 hours ago, SiliconMagician said:

if so, this seemingly doesnt seem like a good choice at all, get an intel stock cooler on ebay for like 20 bucks or whatever. or if your budget allows, an nhu-12s redux from noctua would be a fantastic choice for a decent price. Edit: just notice the ebay link posted the seller didnt even remove thermal paste. all the more reason to not buy random coolers from unknown brands from anywhere.

i found a stock cooler that says "Genuine Intel i7 4790K, 4770K, 6700K 7700K CPU Cooler" in the title. this should fit, right? also, still wondering why the other cooler did not fit.

22 minutes ago, Koshi32 said:

i found a stock cooler that says "Genuine Intel i7 4790K, 4770K, 6700K 7700K CPU Cooler" in the title. this should fit, right? also, still wondering why the other cooler did not fit.

AN intel stock cooler looks like thisAJ7W_1_201904282057844501.jpeg.3c3b7eaaaa96599f2101800bb68c31fc.jpeg\

If it doesnt look exactly like this one, it isnt genuine. Also i believe you cant have a backplate installed when using a stock cooler. Make sure you get yourself some thermal paste as the preapplied stuff is terrible. I use Noctua NT-H1 on desktops and it works well.

i see. still wondering though, why the LGA 1151 cooler i got did not fit? it's confused me greatly.

25 minutes ago, Koshi32 said:

i see. still wondering though, why the LGA 1151 cooler i got did not fit? it's confused me greatly.

Because it's junk that wasn't machined correctly, in all probability.