Old Windows bluetooth issues

da na
Go to solution Solved by Vishera,
1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Good to know! I've got Sp3.

The adapters listed being XP compatible but I guess not...

Hold on,I checked the box of mine and it does say that XP is supported (i bought it a few days ago):

Spoiler

20220302_200507.thumb.png.1ffab4983415a6b15c36ba3bb8ed1293.png

So i think that it does support Windows XP,otherwise TP-Link would open themselves to lawsuits due to false advertising.

There is a driver for Windows 7 and XP (so it shouldn't work as a plug and play and in my case it works even though it shouldn't?!):

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/ub400/

Using 2 different adapters I cannot get any device to work on 7 or XP. With the same audio device and adapters it works fine on 10 and Ubuntu. Any suggestions? I'll add it, it'll say connected and then disappear after 5 seconds. With the other adapter it can't even find it. I've tried a 4.0 keyboard, 5.0 audio devices (3 of them) and 2 4.0 audio devices.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Using 2 different adapters I cannot get any device to work on 7 or XP. With the same audio device and adapters it works fine on 10 and Ubuntu. Any suggestions? I'll add it, it'll say connected and then disappear after 5 seconds. With the other adapter it can't even find it. I've tried a 4.0 keyboard, 5.0 audio devices (3 of them) and 2 4.0 audio devices.

Thanks!

Switch to windows 10 you noob? 
Lol just kidding, while XP is super old. I am sure at least for W7 you have your reasons.

Try going to device manager and more or less uninstalling any Bluetooth devices in there, make sure to click "Delete driver software " when you do.

Then go to your MB support page and download the newest Bluetooth and chipset drivers for said OS but do no install yet

Reboot and then install above drivers. Some windows may reinstall on its own but use the installers anyway as windows doesn't always do a great job

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Thanks!

What are the make and model of the adapters?

My new TP-Link UB400 works great on Windows 7,the drivers of that device are built in Windows 7 anyway so it's plug and play.

What drivers did you use?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Frizz said:

Switch to windows 10 you noob? 
Lol just kidding, while XP is super old. I am sure at least for W7 you have your reasons.

Try going to device manager and more or less uninstalling any Bluetooth devices in there, make sure to click "Delete driver software " when you do.

Then go to your MB support page and download the newest Bluetooth and chipset drivers for said OS but do no install yet

Reboot and then install above drivers. Some windows may reinstall on its own but use the installers anyway as windows doesn't always do a great job

Well I am using XP on my retro gaming system since most old games won't run on 10. Windows 7, for my NAS just to test if it would work, won't actually be using BT on a file storage machine lol

The adapters are from TP-Link, I'll check their website

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

What are the make and model of the adapters?

My new TP-Link UB400 works great on Windows 7,the drivers of that device are built in Windows 7 anyway so it's plug and play.

What drivers did you use?

Just the plug and play. It's a TP link USB, looks identical to the one you mentioned above so might be the same.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well I am using XP on my retro gaming system since most old games won't run on 10. Windows 7, for my NAS just to test if it would work, won't actually be using BT on a file storage machine lol

The adapters are from TP-Link, I'll check their website

I meant uninstall your MB Bluetooth drivers too but good to know!

AFAIK BT support in XP was very barebones, came in the service packs, and most XP-compatible adapters usually came not only with hardware drivers but also with an entire BT software stack to replace the basic one in Windows. And hardware/software from that era doesn't work with any modern device. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

AFAIK BT support in XP was very barebones, came in the service packs, and most XP-compatible adapters usually came not only with hardware drivers but also with an entire BT software stack to replace the basic one in Windows. And hardware/software from that era doesn't work with any modern device. 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Hold on,I checked the box of mine and it does say that XP is supported (i bought it a few days ago):

Spoiler

20220302_200507.thumb.png.1ffab4983415a6b15c36ba3bb8ed1293.png

So i think that it does support Windows XP,otherwise TP-Link would open themselves to lawsuits due to false advertising.

There is a driver for Windows 7 and XP (so it shouldn't work as a plug and play and in my case it works even though it shouldn't?!):

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/ub400/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566