What do you use your Desktop's Type C ports for?

Eric

For years I remember wanting to make sure Type C would be on any future systems I built. "The port of the future" was something I heard repeatedly back then. I will admit most of my enthusiasm about it was for VirtualLink, which is now dead. I do play VR, but even my Index only uses a USB 3.0 cable to connect, I utilize many of the Type A ports in my system, but I pretty much always have the 2 Type C ports open. So I asking any of you, what do you typically use a Type C port for? Better yet, is there anything a Type C on your desktop has allowed you to do that you couldn't do with a traditional Type A port?

I dont use them for anything. I actually struggle to come up with a reason a desktop needs them

Originally for my Oculus.  You could run a monitor in some situations.  Usb hubs.  A lot of my new devices have c to c cables and c only blocks so I connect that way.  I do video and audio on my pc so the more ports the better, especially high speed ones.  The connectors are way smaller so you could jam a bunch into smaller cases.  It's reversible too, saves me seconds everytime I plug something in. 

Type c is just a small usb port so all you need is a usb a to usb c cable to get anything to work.

So no for me it hasn't done anything normal sized usb couldn't

It's probably why we see a ton of companies backpeddaling.

I've used it for my Oculus and iPhone so far. One bad thing is that it's right next to a USB-A port, and sticking a USB-C plug into that causes a short-circuit....

🙂

I probably would use it but currently don't know completely what I would want the USB-C dock to be so instea I have a bunch of USB-A stuff hanging off my computer.

USB c to my phone is pretty handy, since I use a lot of USB ports having one just for my phone to charge is pretty useful.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I currently have mine adapted to a type A connector so I can plug my mouse dongle into it (two adapters actually, female to female type C and then C to A).  Just less chance of issues if it's not going through a hub, and I don't have any spare type A ports left on the motherboard.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

36 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Type c is just a small usb port so all you need is a usb a to usb c cable to get anything to work.

So no for me it hasn't done anything normal sized usb couldn't

It's probably why we see a ton of companies backpeddaling.

I was interested in getting a type c "hub" like normal USB hubs look like, but there's a lot of junk in this area, from stuff being falsely advertised as being USB 3.1/ 10Gbps.

Well aside from VR and maybe sometimes phone/earbuds charge. Some peripherals have it, USB sticks and portable SSDs. 

Really mobo manufacturers slack with adding more ports. Reason why others also slack to switch for their peripherals and what not. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |