Favorite version of macOS?

What is your favorite version of macOS?

Mine is 10.14 Mojave. This version introduced dark mode and was the last to support 32-bit apps and iTunes.

Next to that is Catalina, Finder being more intuitive and the new Music apps were highlights.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

First version of osx. As it was the last time the os actually did anything significant. Was amazing for its time.

I have limited exposure to MacOS bus based on pure aesthetics I really loved the versions of OSX when the dock was more like a shelf looking thing and the icons grew as you moused over them. I'm running the newest OSX beta in a VM and they rounded the corners of the dock, it doesn't look bad, but its nothing amazing either. surprisingly quick just using 2 cores and 8GB of ram running the VM from a standard HDD.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

• 2 weeks later...

I was reminded of exactly how many iterations of the Mac OS I have used recently by being gifted a Mac Plus (with external 20 Mb HD no less). That it actually still runs (System 6.4.2) is kinda crazy..

But currently my comfort Mac OS would be Catalina, though I will shortly need to give that up for Big Sur. Catalina was the last version that still held on to threads of backwards compatibility with older programs, but it is end of the line all those residual 32 bit apps.

pm

ASRock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 2700x  -  3.7GHz, XFX RX 5500 XT 8 Gb, 32 Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX,

WD Blue 3D Nano SATA M.2 500 Gb, Lexar NVMe 250 Gb SSD
OpenCore 0.7.8 Dual Boot: Mac OS X 1.15.6 Catalina, Windows 11

On 2/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, emosun said:

First version of osx. As it was the last time the os actually did anything significant. Was amazing for its time.

You mean 10.0 or 10.1? I mostly ran Debian back then but I didn’t really have my socks blown off by early OS X. Even the Mac users I knew would still dual boot OS X and Mac OS 9 until 10.3. 

I feel like they didn’t really hit their stride until Lion. AirDrop, system wide emoji, FaceTime, File Vault, so many key macOS features launched with Lion. 

Then Yosemite was the on that actually got me to move from Ubuntu. 

9 hours ago, maplepants said:

You mean 10.0 or 10.1?

10. 9 was a dumpster fire and the only people who kept using it were stuck with legacy software.

There was no reason to stick with 20 year old code back then when it fundimentally was flawed

6 hours ago, emosun said:

10. 9 was a dumpster fire and the only people who kept using it were stuck with legacy software.

There was no reason to stick with 20 year old code back then when it fundimentally was flawed

This is true, the people I knew then didn’t dual boot because they loved OS 9. It was all about software. After 10.1 people basically switched as soon as the software to support their workflow was there. 

10.6, 10.9 and 10.11.

10.6 because of nostalgia, 10.9 because i just simply love the user interface, 10.12 because of its reliability and software support.

• 1 month later...

Mountain Lion!

Mojave is great

snow leopard might be the most fluid OS designed.

el cap had it's moments

Mavericks was the worst

the other OSX did not need a release.

Catalina discards and hides non-apple products, and the log in is annoying.

i have not tried BigSur or Monterey that much, yet.

Distros prior to APFS (High Sierra) were much easier for me to administer and work on, especially if the system files needed tweaking for some reason. The dropping of 32bit support as of Catalina was painful in some ways too, mostly for gaming purposes. Funny thing though, you can run a fair bit of Windows 32 bit software just fine via PlayOnMac lol, as long as it's a 64 bit wine virtual drive.

From a user point of view rather than IT point of view, I really enjoy Big Surg & Monterey, the design looks quite nice, feels good to use, etc.

I enjoy Tiger, Leopard, and Lion a fair bit because they feel rock solid & the aqua design is very pleasant, I enjoy skeuomorphism.

• Desktop! 2012 Mac Pro, Radeon RX 570 8GB, macOS Monterrey via OCLP.
  • Laptop! 2015 MacBook Pro quad core i7 with dedicated gpu
  • Other: PineBook Pro, PowerBook G4, misc chromebook, NextBook Flexx 11, LGV20 w/ LineageOS, and a few other things

I loved how responsive Mojave was. When Big Sur came, it just felt bloated to me. Might be because I had a sucky old Macbook.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

On 5/10/2022 at 4:21 AM, Willa said:

Distros prior to APFS (High Sierra) were much easier for me to administer and work on, especially if the system files needed tweaking for some reason.

I guess SIPs read-only OS volume is what makes this tricky now, but did you really need to modify system files often?

I haven't managed end user devices since Panther, and so I'm out of the loop on what it's like to manage modern Macs.