Scammers using new technique to bypass Valve's Steam Guard

rhodestech

So you guys just haven't considered there are more diverse people who use steam than just self-centered teens.  My son who suffers a language delay would fall for this easy, but his innate intelligence would leave most of you for dead.   You don't have to be stupid or simple or and idiot to fall for this.

And so you educate your son to apply that intelligence to deduce if something is a scam or not.

Make sure he knows, show him examples. Make sure whenever he visits  a steam site he carefully checks the url letter by letter.

If something sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I didn't say you have to be stupid simple or an idiot. I simply said I can't believe people fall for this. Not meaning to imply they must be stupid more so the fact that I thought we had educated people about these types of things.

But sure just assume I'm a self centred teen because I am in awe people still don't know about phishing scams . How many times have the been parodied on TV, how many times do you read about pyramid schemes, How many time's do you see don't give out your password. We would never ask you for your details. The Nigerian prince scam must be one of the most well known thing on the internet. 

If you know someone who is young or susceptible to these things you have educate them about the dangers of these kind's of thing. At the end of the day steam is your money.

Explain why Valve wouldn't need you to run external executables. 

This should be common knowledge at this stage and the sooner people finally realise how to avoid all these fake freebies the internet will be much better.

And please don't insult me just because my post might have upset you. If I offended you my apologies it was not my intention I simply was expressing awe that people still fall for these.

However I think we can both agree that it looks like we must continue to educate on phishing scams perhaps at a school level.

i remember someone posted this exploit many months ago.

It required manual upload of said file, this automates the process.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I wonder what a scammer could buy with £0.20

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

please see the above post and stop being ignorant.

Where do you want to get at? Valve put in 1000000 security measures? Impossible. Also, I don't understand what this:

but his innate intelligence would leave most of you for dead. 

has got to do with anything...

Can get me and my pirated games :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

this is phishing 101 don't be stupid always check the URL when authenticating. this is the user's mistake and why the hell would you authenticate with a file? how stupid is that =P

really no need in thread necroing something 75days old.

would be better to start new topic with more current information.

closing thread