Something that can cool a near extreme overclock at temps below 60c

Somerandomtechyboi
27 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

haha ya typo... meh ill keep it.

well thats were thinking out side the box helps. i mean why stop at a water cooling cpu block why not add fins and heat pipes to that so it can also use air... i mean lm and and dlided seems to be the best but also cost the most. then there's not just using ambient air why not use ac air and so on...

the point was that noise to alot of people mater. and wc has increased in cost by alot.  even thow we dont use 120mm thicc rads anymore...  alot of wc companies started with parts they used for refrigeration and got in to pc wc on the side.

still dont understand why we barley use 2x 360 rads in loop's these days when back then it was a minimum of 2x 360 rads for 580 and a i7-920...

a new keyboard is in the mail hope it will help with the typos...maybe...

I blame my typos on autocorrect myself.  Especially if doing so forms a weird word.  It was merely that that one was too funny not to point out.  I suspect I produce more than anyone else of those.  
I’ve seen people roughly measure water cooling by single thick doublethick and fan area.  Apparently all but the biggest CPUs and GPUs these days use one 120mm fan worth of radiator each. So a big cpu might need closer to two fans worth of radiator as might a really big gpu. This sort of thing can usually be handled by one triple fan radiator for both. it seems the issue with modern stuff is a bit different in that the issue is getting the heat out from under the ihs even though the actual amount isn’t all that massive.  It was different for earlier CPUs. The problem with BTUs/sq. In. is that it sort of assumes one is talking about more than one sq.in. With modern CPUs the dies are tiny, so surface area starts to be a real problem.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

With soft tubing its literally just hook it up wherever without f ing around with boiling water

Though hard tubing does have the advantage of being able to be formed unlike soft tubing so it can increase waterflow depending on how you form it, pretty much just like playing around with car exhaust headers and seeing which flows best

the boiling water and ice was so you can do tighter turns with out paying for 90degree and 45 degree fittings witch dose slow down the flow rate.  people on extreme biggest.

hard like is the same as you can make your own 90degree or 45dgree for...free... but i do agree it looks to be a pan. but at the time we also had resalable priced dc now that ek has taking over the dc and sell it for $100 usd... just descusting...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

21 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm ill show you something. i remembered this years ago and could not find anything about it ahs it just come up as hardline tube bending...so i when to yahoo... and when to an old oc site and found it.

guide by voigts on http://www.xtremesystems.org

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?239246-How-to-Bend-Form-Tubing-for-Your-Setups

How to Bend/Form Tubing for Your Setups

I'm currently wrapping up some changes on my setup, and I thought I would share a trick which proved very useful that I recently picked up here on XS. I can't find the thread now, but the idea is one of the handiest I've come across in years of watercooling. It was only mentioned in a thread, but there isn't an entire thread about it. I used this several times in redoing the lower part of my loop, and it works great. Not only can it save you from having to use elbows and such, but it can help you avoid having situations where the tubing is pressing against barbs and wanting to kink due to tight bends.

If you want to form tubing for tight bends or any bends, you can shape it the way you want. You simply make sure it somehow it is in a steady position in that shape, and then immerse it in boiling water and then in ice water several times and it will form how you like. I found a spring for $3 at a local ACE hardware that fits perfectly inside of the 7/16” id tubing. A spring is necessary in order to make sure the tubing doesn't kink while forming. In the mention of this idea I originally saw, the guy used a rope, but a rope would leave marks on the tubing whereas a spring doesn't.

pic 1

I am using XSPC 7/16" id 5/8" od tubing in my setup. For the loop in the pic above, I put the tubing into a plastic Tupperware cup, immersed it in boiling water for a minute or two, then ice water, and repeated the process a few times. Obviously if you use a cup or the like, it needs to be able to handle boiling water. It would probably be easier to use a jar like a pickle jar since the tubing did have a tendency to want to work its way out of the cup due to the taper.

pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5

Once heated and cooled like this a few times, the tubing holds it shape.

I have a very tight spot where one radiator feeds the other radiator. The space measured from the outside (not the inside) between the barbs is only 2 1/4” (about 57mm). The inside space between the barbs is only about 1 1/4”. Tubing would normally kink in a bend this tight. Since the piece of tubing was very short, and the bend had to be so tight, I simply used a pair of tongs to hold the tubing while forming. Using tongs did leave a small indentation on the tubing, but it is no big deal.

pic 6
pic 7

The tubing formed so that just sitting the outside was only 3” apart. I had no kinking problems putting it at 2 1/4” apart.

pic 8
pic 9

I also used this on my pump to GPU connection so that the tubing wouldn't be pushing against the pump.

Maybe this will be a help to others as well.

anyway i think doing a diy is fine but i think having different id is going to bottle neck but who nos un till you try it.

softtube bending pics guide.png

They sell silicone rods for such purposes.  They got used quite extensively on the marble machine X. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I blame my typos on autocorrect myself.  Especially if doing so forms a weird word.  It was merely that that one was too funny not to point out.  I suspect I produce more than anyone else of those.  
I’ve seen people roughly measure water cooling by single thick doublethick and fan area.  Apparently all but the biggest CPUs and GPUs these days use one 120mm fan worth of radiator each. So a big cpu might need closer to two fans worth of radiator as might a really big gpu. This sort of thing can usually be handled by one triple fan radiator for both. it seems the issue with modern stuff is a bit different in that the issue is getting the heat out from under the ihs even though the actual amount isn’t all that massive.  It was different for earlier CPUs. The problem with BTUs/sq. In. is that it sort of assumes one is talking about more than one sq.in. With modern CPUs the dies are tiny, so surface area starts to be a real problem.  

ohh that makes since the dies are smaller... funny i tried to oc my w3580 to 4.0 and failed... i suck at ocing haha

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They sell silicone rods for such purposes.  They got used quite extensively on the marble machine X. 

ya but back then we didn't have the silicone inserts so we used springs to keep it from miss shaping

28 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ohh that makes since the dies are smaller... funny i tried to oc my w3580 to 4.0 and failed... i suck at ocing haha

Ocing on old platforms is down to cooler, board, ram, and the cpu sample itself, if you got trash ram you cant push bclk much, if you got trash board you also cant push bclk or even have very limited settings which nukes oc alltogether, and the cpu itself if it happens to be a bad sample then rip oc, if its a good sample then good oc

Multiplier overclocking is useless on x58 since most decent xeons can lock multi above 23 and most decent boards do 200bclk with ease, bclk overclokcing > multi oc cause i think its something to do with needing less volt for a given freq just like bclk oc on x79/99

Temps are also an issue, my junk 92mm chinese tower pushes my e8400 to 4.45ghz 1.42v full stable at 556fsb, 8x multi, 104pcie, prime95 test on rams and cpu it passes

I can go upto 4.7ghz 1.5v but thats bench stable only as fine for cinebench but prime95 just fails, it already reaches mid 80c on cb so very concerning stability wise as ideally for ambient cooling the cpu should be near ambient or atleast <60c for best oc ability cause volts can only get you so far not to mention the cpu bin, mine is a slightly above average e8400 thats capped cause cooling issues and i intend on getting an x5260 just because 5g will be easier with better bin and the extra multi flexibility but i doubt im gonna go 5.5 stable, maybe at most 5.2 ish or as much as 1.7v can clock the cpu once cooling is really sorted out since 1.7v is fine for daily with good enough cooling, if its a real daily setting then id prob set near 1.3-1.4v just to not ruin my parents power bill xD

37 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya but back then we didn't have the silicone inserts so we used springs to keep it from miss shaping

Springs are likely a lot cheaper.  Springs around the outside rather than the inside are used by plumbers for bending copper pipe.  Another method is to fill the pipes with sand and cap the ends.

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ocing on old platforms is down to cooler, board, ram, and the cpu sample itself, if you got trash ram you cant push bclk much, if you got trash board you also cant push bclk or even have very limited settings which nukes oc alltogether, and the cpu itself if it happens to be a bad sample then rip oc, if its a good sample then good oc

Multiplier overclocking is useless on x58 since most decent xeons can lock multi above 23 and most decent boards do 200bclk with ease, bclk overclokcing > multi oc cause i think its something to do with needing less volt for a given freq just like bclk oc on x79/99

Temps are also an issue, my junk 92mm chinese tower pushes my e8400 to 4.45ghz 1.42v full stable at 556fsb, 8x multi, 104pcie, prime95 test on rams and cpu it passes

I can go upto 4.7ghz 1.5v but thats bench stable only as fine for cinebench but prime95 just fails, it already reaches mid 80c on cb so very concerning stability wise as ideally for ambient cooling the cpu should be near ambient or atleast <60c for best oc ability cause volts can only get you so far not to mention the cpu bin, mine is a slightly above average e8400 thats capped cause cooling issues and i intend on getting an x5260 just because 5g will be easier with better bin and the extra multi flexibility but i doubt im gonna go 5.5 stable, maybe at most 5.2 ish or as much as 1.7v can clock the cpu once cooling is really sorted out since 1.7v is fine for daily with good enough cooling, if its a real daily setting then id prob set near 1.3-1.4v just to not ruin my parents power bill xD

i dont no this is what i fallowed

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont no this is what i fallowed

An actually decent beginners tutorial that isnt just the guy being a whimp about pushing voltages finally

Youll need to give info on your setup, your current oc + settings, and what temps you are runnning

If you are using an asus board i reccomend buying a 4$ bios flasher and flashing your bios to rampage ii/iii extreme to get rid of any bios crippling bullsht asus usually does on these old platforms, if you are using another board but on ami bios i can mod a bios with rampage ebb for better oc, its very simple cause i have no idea what im doing with bios mods other than ebb swap

If you are under 1.4v pushing temps to 90c is fine since it shouldnt destabilise to sht at lower volts with high temps

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

An actually decent beginners tutorial that isnt just the guy being a whimp about pushing voltages finally

Youll need to give info on your setup, your current oc + settings, and what temps you are runnning

If you are using an asus board i reccomend buying a 4$ bios flasher and flashing your bios to rampage ii/iii extreme to get rid of any bios crippling bullsht asus usually does on these old platforms, if you are using another board but on ami bios i can mod a bios with rampage ebb for better oc, its very simple cause i have no idea what im doing with bios mods other than ebb swap

If you are under 1.4v pushing temps to 90c is fine since it shouldnt destabilise to sht at lower volts with high temps

its the same stuff in the video x5670 and an rampage 2 exstream with 6gb gskill ram. i sould have gotten the x5675 as i heard is more stable. but i also have x5680 cpus also in pc that i was sapos to sell but could not... dell t3500 and hpz400... tryied getting 4.0 eith threadstop but only got 3.8 as 30 and all lucked up the pc.

i dont remember that settings i sued for the oc i just fallowed the video and it seem stable. but it failed and when back to default as far as i no. i gues going from a i7-920 to an x5670 is a huge jump but thats why people loved that socket so much. 50% oc was nuts. at the top i think they get maybe 4.3 to 4.5ish on water if i remember. but my dad back then said the ram aslo is import end on oc and have it stable witch i had cheap ram and he had the dom plats gts but said my i7920 should beat his i7-960.

i dont have it on water as my water cooled mb is at my dads hand have not gotten it yet.

paintballpc 029.jpg

42 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

its the same stuff in the video x5670 and an rampage 2 exstream with 6gb gskill ram. i sould have gotten the x5675 as i heard is more stable. but i also have x5680 cpus also in pc that i was sapos to sell but could not... dell t3500 and hpz400... tryied getting 4.0 eith threadstop but only got 3.8 as 30 and all lucked up the pc.

i dont remember that settings i sued for the oc i just fallowed the video and it seem stable. but it failed and when back to default as far as i no. i gues going from a i7-920 to an x5670 is a huge jump but thats why people loved that socket so much. 50% oc was nuts. at the top i think they get maybe 4.3 to 4.5ish on water if i remember. but my dad back then said the ram aslo is import end on oc and have it stable witch i had cheap ram and he had the dom plats gts but said my i7920 should beat his i7-960.

i dont have it on water as my water cooled mb is at my dads hand have not gotten it yet.

paintballpc 029.jpg

For oc setting i suggest watching extreme overclockers like luumi and using his settings as a reference, thats how i got my ep45 ds4p to max 610 and stable 556 is just using other ppl settings as reference

Voltage wise 32nm is just as good as 45nm in terms of volt tolerance (same deathzone) so you can theoritically do 1.7v daily assuming temps are fine aka degradation by volt isnt a concern but i dont reccomend above 1.5v if your cooling runs above 70c at that volt as too high temps = cpu destabilization at high volts, if i were you id just stick a car rad on that thing and start aiming for 5g daily since 5g seems to be acheivable with volts in the range of 1.5-1.6v depending on your cpu sample, pretty similar to what a good bin 775 xeon like the x5260 is capable of. The better xeon you get the better the bin usually but sometimes you can get good bin low end stuff like my pentium e5400 does 4.5 bench stable at 1.52v where literally every other pentium needs even more volt to even boot at that freq let alone be bench stable

50% oc is very much doable on these old platforms on the good bin cpus, dualcore 45nm wolfdale xeons do 5g with ~1.6v, quad/hexa core 32nm westmere do 5g with 1.5-1.6v depending on the bin you get

What cpu block do you have? A garbage block will ruin your oc just like my cheap chinese all metal aluminum block

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

For oc setting i suggest watching extreme overclockers like luumi and using his settings as a reference, thats how i got my ep45 ds4p to max 610 and stable 556 is just using other ppl settings as reference

Voltage wise 32nm is just as good as 45nm in terms of volt tolerance (same deathzone) so you can theoritically do 1.7v daily assuming temps are fine aka degradation by volt isnt a concern but i dont reccomend above 1.5v if your cooling runs above 70c at that volt as too high temps = cpu destabilization at high volts, if i were you id just stick a car rad on that thing and start aiming for 5g daily since 5g seems to be acheivable with volts in the range of 1.5-1.6v depending on your cpu sample, pretty similar to what a good bin 775 xeon like the x5260 is capable of. The better xeon you get the better the bin usually but sometimes you can get good bin low end stuff like my pentium e5400 does 4.5 bench stable at 1.52v where literally every other pentium needs even more volt to even boot at that freq let alone be bench stable

50% oc is very much doable on these old platforms on the good bin cpus, dualcore 45nm wolfdale xeons do 5g with ~1.6v, quad/hexa core 32nm westmere do 5g with 1.5-1.6v depending on the bin you get

What cpu block do you have? A garbage block will ruin your oc just like my cheap chinese all metal aluminum block

i was testing to see if front intake vs side intake vs bottom intake made a difference but got lazzy and never finished the test... its in my 011 d air case so a tower cooler of max 154mm so i found the Scythe Kotetsu Mark 2 and it touches the glass... the max cooler would be problt the Be quiet! BK031 Dark Rock TF 2 but at $200...ya no.

once i get my wc mb then it will be on water anyway probly some cheap water block.

i want to do a all wc x79 windows xp build but cant find a wc mb or block on ebay and the price of the mb is like $250+. i got the ram and ssd and raystrom cpu block picked out so far. i did get a gtx 960 no water block thow... but more gpus are nice to have any way so w/e when i see a wc one ill pick it up. have not decided on what case i want to put it in. my antec lanboy i want to do air and i want to wc my 98pc if i ever get that working...

case i have are

antec lanboy

antec 1200

antec p120

lian li 011 d air

thermaltake core x9

thermatake core 200

thermatake tower 900 (heard there's a 500 now...)

thermatake mozart tx