Wu-Tang Clan to sell only one copy of their upcoming album to the highest bidder

JcGross

In an interesting experiment Wu-Tang Clan has decided to sell their upcoming album to only one person, the highest bidder, who will then be able to do anything with it, put it on the internet for free, monetize on it further by selling it, keeping it all to themselves or burning it in their backyard. Wu-Tang Clan member Robert "RZA" Diggs said “The idea that music is art has been something we advocated for year.  And yet it doesn’t receive the same treatment as art in the sense of the value of what it is, especially nowadays when it’s been devalued and diminished to almost the point that it has to be given away for free." It's an interesting statement, especially if we consider that all we hear about nowdays is how Apple revitalized the music industry with iTunes, and how Spotify is the greatest thing ever, it looks like it's not as beneficiary for the artists themselves.

EDIT: I forgot to say that they already have a $5 million bid, which is the main point of the post. Bit of a fail on my part. :P

http://madamenoire.com/414316/wu-tang-clan-will-sell-single-copy-new-album/

http://pitchfork.com/news/54828-wu-tang-clan-fans-launch-kickstarter-to-bid-on-one-of-a-kind-album-give-music-away-for-free/

PS: This is actually "old" news, but I only heard about it today on Penn's Sunday School, and I didn't find anything about this on the forums. I find it very interesting though and wonder what people think of this.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

this is pretty cool, cant wait to see how it pans out

lol is this because only one person ever buys their albums?

this is the wu-tang clan. even my parents have heard of them and they don't like hip hop at all

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't really know what to make of this, it's a interesting idea for sure. Although they could screw themselves up big time if this goes badly... Unless they go back on their word and release it to everyone at a later date.

I don't really know what to make of this, it's a interesting idea for sure. Although they could screw themselves up big time if this goes badly... Unless they go back on their word and release it to everyone at a later date.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, they already have a 5 million dollar bid. :D

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I'm not a huge proponent of pirating anything but...I hope whoever wins the auction releases it on the internet. >_>

What this band is doing is disgusting. Music is to be shared with the world and not sold like this.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

What this band is doing is disgusting. Music is to be shared with the world and not sold like this.

It's sold as a piece of art, with a deeper meaning that listening to ripped MP3s.

It's sold as a piece of art, with a deeper meaning that listening to ripped MP3s.

Just because you pay $5 million for it and it comes in a fancy box does not make it any more/less of an art form than any other music.

I understand that they're also selling the copyright along with the album, which to some extent would explain the large amount of money behind it, but I really hope none of the musicians/bands I actually listen to do anything like this.

I've never even heard of that group...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've never even heard of that group...

That's because you are 15 years old xD.  They were a pretty popular hip-hop group in the early 90's

That's because you are 15 years old xD.  They were a pretty popular hip-hop group in the early 90's

I dunno... I like a lot of music from the 80's, and some even before that. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Who is Wu-Tang. I would imagine that the highest bidder will let everyone get it for free. I have been in a closed off music area for years know so I know nothing about modern music. I just listen to my video game music.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard