Will trees cause a major problem for the short distance?

TheawesomeMCB

So we are trying to get a signal to 1/2 km away however we are in a bit of a roadblock. The place we need to get it to has a couple of trees in the way. Which is concerning. We know that 5ghz is off the table because of those trees. And 900mhz is like $500, to get non line of sight which is out of the question for that price.
But what about 2.4ghz? Sure that’s not the best for interference but the area is rural. The ubiquiti nanostation m2 says it can go up to 13km+ range at 150+ mbps and the tp-link has 5km+ at 300mbps. I know your supposed to have no obstruction but considering the range it needs to reach for 1/10 for the tp link and the 1/26 for the ubiquiti would it work?

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Well how thick is the treeline?one big tree at one across, lots of little ones in a thin line....

Only 1 big tree

2 hours ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

Only 1 big tree

Is it possible to get around it in some way? Are we talking like 200yr old oak?

You want 500 meter range out of 2.4 Ghz.  I think you're gonna be a bit disappointed.  I've seen a couple hundred feet or so work, but never 1500. 

13KM is laughable under any context, imho.

14 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Is it possible to get around it in some way? Are we talking like 200yr old oak?

No there isn’t, the age of the tree I’m not sure.

6 hours ago, IPD said:

You want 500 meter range out of 2.4 Ghz.  I think you're gonna be a bit disappointed.  I've seen a couple hundred feet or so work, but never 1500. 

13KM is laughable under any context, imho.

These are directional long range wireless antennae that the OP is talking about, not omnidirectional.

19 hours ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

I know your supposed to have no obstruction but considering the range it needs to reach for 1/10 for the tp link and the 1/26 for the ubiquiti would it work?

2.4GHz might be forgiving with a little bit of obstruction, but it won't be very stable.

If the signal has to pass directly through the center of a wide trunk, that's going to be a problem. Otherwise, if it's only through a few branches and leaves, you might be able to get away with it. Don't have too high expectations because the setup is already sub-optimal.

Another thing you need to consider is the height of the antennae themselves and the Fresnel zone involved. The lower your antenna is to the ground even with perfect LoS, the worse the performance will be. The antenna's datasheet will have this information for you.

To avoid these problems (including the trees), installers will choose to mount the antenna on poles above the levels of trees/buildings in the path of the signal. If you do this, be mindful that you'll have to figure out a way to run power to these devices and also protect them from lightning.

20 hours ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

So we are trying to get a signal to 1/2 km away however we are in a bit of a roadblock. The place we need to get it to has a couple of trees in the way. Which is concerning. We know that 5ghz is off the table because of those trees. And 900mhz is like $500, to get non line of sight which is out of the question for that price.
But what about 2.4ghz? Sure that’s not the best for interference but the area is rural. The ubiquiti nanostation m2 says it can go up to 13km+ range at 150+ mbps and the tp-link has 5km+ at 300mbps. I know your supposed to have no obstruction but considering the range it needs to reach for 1/10 for the tp link and the 1/26 for the ubiquiti would it work?

The answer is definitely a maybe, because you can never know the exact characteristics once you have obstructions.

I managed to get 5Ghz through a tree and a thick double wall over 100m because I seem to pick up a deflection of the signal rather than line-of-sight.  On a good day that does 100Mbit and its been surprisingly stable.

Of course being a short link the fresnel zone is smaller, so I'm not sure how a longer range would be impacted but I wouldn't discount it working though I doubt it will be very fast if it does.  Obstructions at the very least mess up MIMO operation, thus why my connection will often halve in wet weather.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7