Mini-USB cable with AUX

Bruno_A

Not sure if this would be Off-topic, so, apologies in advance.

Hi all,

I have a SatNav thone of these chargers:

r/AskElectronics - Power and Aux via Mini USB

These are great, because I can connect my phone to the SatNav, connect the Aux (1) to my Head Unit, and I can play music from my phone. However, if I want this functionality, I MUST use the original charger.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the original charger with something like this:

r/AskElectronics - Power and Aux via Mini USB

Now, I actually bought this specific cable, and while it does power the device, the Aux cable does not work. Probably not meant for this use.

Are Mini-USB cables able to provide power and receive Aux input? It seems to be what the original charger does.

I was wondering if there was a cable like that, that I could use my lighter charger to power.

The reason for this, is that my lighter charger is rather "powerful", and has a PD USB-C port that can charge my laptop, which I'd like to use.

Many thanks

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

I think it needs to have some sort of question or topic for conversation to fit in any subforum. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

33 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think it needs to have some sort of question or topic for conversation to fit in any subforum. 

Apologies if it's not clear enough.

I do not want to use the original charger, which has an Aux input that I can connect to my Head Unit, and replace it with a "normal" cable and power it through my lighter socket charger. However, I want to retain this functionality.

Therefore, I was wondering if I could replace the original charger with a single USB-A to Mini, which would also have an Aux cable to plug into my Head Unit.

Are these cables a thing? If so, what are they called, or where could I get one?

Also, I was wondering if a USB Mini cable had the ability to give power to a device, and get an AUX input, which seems to be what the original charger does. But because I never seen anything like that, I was wondering if it was a thing.

Did that make sense?

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

It vaguely makes sense, and I don't think it can.

That 12v adapter gets digital audio from your phone and outputs analog.  You can't do that with just a cable, that also charges the phone. 

32 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It vaguely makes sense, and I don't think it can.

That 12v adapter gets digital audio from your phone and outputs analog.  You can't do that with just a cable, that also charges the phone. 

I'll see if I can explain it better.

So, the SatNav is powered by a MIni-USB cable that's part of the original 12V car charger. That charger has an AUX port that you can use an AUX cable to connect it to your Head Unit. See picture:

GUID-CB299DCB-44EB-465A-A69F-8185302A3F02-high.thumb.jpg.b135f5f66e363651724bb35562230c9a.jpg

The phone is connected to the SatNav via Bluetooth. The charger gets the AUX input from the Mini-USB cable connected to the SatNav and you can output it to your Head Unit by simply conecting it to the charger, via the AUX port.

That single Mini-USB cable allows the device not only to be powered, but to send data to the charger, too.

Is there a cable that could both power the device and also get an AUX input, like the original charger does?

The reason for this, is that I intend to use my own charger, an Anker one, which also charges my laptop with a USB-C port, and only have one 12V socket, but still want to be able to play music via Bluetooth.

I looked, and found this, which I bought. It didn't really work:

s-l1600.jpg.b9f3c85d55b3c82433c2c286e0fc6710.jpg

I plugged the top end into the device, and then, the USB-A to my lighter charger, and the 3.5mm jack to the head unit. This powered the device, but the device would not send a signal to the 3.5mm jack.

Does that make sense?

On 2/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, Bruno_A said:

I'll see if I can explain it better.

So, the SatNav is powered by a MIni-USB cable that's part of the original 12V car charger. That charger has an AUX port that you can use an AUX cable to connect it to your Head Unit. See picture:

GUID-CB299DCB-44EB-465A-A69F-8185302A3F02-high.thumb.jpg.b135f5f66e363651724bb35562230c9a.jpg

The phone is connected to the SatNav via Bluetooth. The charger gets the AUX input from the Mini-USB cable connected to the SatNav and you can output it to your Head Unit by simply conecting it to the charger, via the AUX port.

That single Mini-USB cable allows the device not only to be powered, but to send data to the charger, too.

Is there a cable that could both power the device and also get an AUX input, like the original charger does?

The reason for this, is that I intend to use my own charger, an Anker one, which also charges my laptop with a USB-C port, and only have one 12V socket, but still want to be able to play music via Bluetooth.

I looked, and found this, which I bought. It didn't really work:

s-l1600.jpg.b9f3c85d55b3c82433c2c286e0fc6710.jpg

I plugged the top end into the device, and then, the USB-A to my lighter charger, and the 3.5mm jack to the head unit. This powered the device, but the device would not send a signal to the 3.5mm jack.

Does that make sense?

I'm probably not the only one whos head doesn't hurt by this

is there any reason you can't just connect your phone to the head unit with bluetooth? Or just use Waze on your phone so you don't require a separate device?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

19 hours ago, gergy008 said:

I'm probably not the only one whos head doesn't hurt by this

is there any reason you can't just connect your phone to the head unit with bluetooth? Or just use Waze on your phone so you don't require a separate device?

Nope, this is definitely confusing, especially to explain.

Maybe this article will explain it better than me:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/drivesmart65w-alexa/EN-US/GUID-37FE2562-ABA3-4179-8483-ACF01809E717.html

The reason why I don't connect my phone directly to my Head Unit, is because it does not have Bluetooth. This is often taken for granted, but I drive a classic car, with an older Head Unit.

The original charger can give power to the device and get an Aux input from the it via the Mini-USB cable attached to the charger.

The device can also be powered via a normal USB-A to Mini-USB cable, connected to a charger, or computer, even, however, I have never seen a Mini-USB cable that can do the two things at the same time.

I felt like this was the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't think of any other place.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bruno_A said:

Nope, this is definitely confusing, especially to explain.

Maybe this article will explain it better than me:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/drivesmart65w-alexa/EN-US/GUID-37FE2562-ABA3-4179-8483-ACF01809E717.html

The reason why I don't connect my phone directly to my Head Unit, is because it does not have Bluetooth. This is often taken for granted, but I drive a classic car, with an older Head Unit.

The original charger can give power to the device and get an Aux input from the it via the Mini-USB cable attached to the charger.

The device can also be powered via a normal USB-A to Mini-USB cable, connected to a charger, or computer, even, however, I have never seen a Mini-USB cable that can do the two things at the same time.

I felt like this was the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't think of any other place.

I have a feeling that the USB cable from the charger to the satnav is actually sending the audio via digital data, rather than an aux through the wire. Like a USB headphone jack almost. Therefore I think it might be a setting on the satnav that is preventing audio from working. Have you tried a different bluetooth device?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M