RM 850x not enough for 3090?

GM7

Hi, So recently I started having this issue so my 2x 1920x1080 monitors would turn off while gaming. Like monitors would turn off but PC would still be running, lights fans, etc. I have a temporary fix that I found so when monitors turn off, I need to turn off the PC and wait sometime before turning it on. If I turn it on sooner it would turn on but monitors wouldn't turn on. I suspected temps but I was monitoring them a little bit and they seemed okay.

I suspect power supply but I don't know for sure.

My PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s) (OC'ed)
GPU: INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 3090 ICHILL X4
Power supply: Corsair RM 850x
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
RAM: 24GB 3000MHz
Main Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 240 hertz
2nd Monitor: 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Additional notes: I started noticing this in-game Lost Ark but I have 40+ hours in that game and I just started noticing it recently so I suppose it's not due to the game similar to the New World.

also update chipset drievrs, update bios.

also try running witout any overclock and XMP (or DOCP)

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 hours ago, GM7 said:

RAM: 24GB 3000MHz

That's a atrange amount of RAM. How many sticks? What's the brand and model and in case of Corsair also the version number?

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

It definitely seems like a driver issue, not power. Try running DDU in Safe Mode, then reinstalling your NVIDIA drivers. 

Hi, so after doing DDU in safe mode, and installing drivers and everything again. I tried playing the game again. But it crashed again but this time monitor was still on game froze and was put in the background, and then I closed the game with taskbar but after some time like 5-10 min black screen again. Then when I turned on the pc again and went to download some programs to stress out the GPU to test it but then both monitors froze and some colored squares appeared on the screen randomly.

I attached an image that I have taken with my phone.

image0.jpg

9 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

That's a atrange amount of RAM. How many sticks? What's the brand and model and in case of Corsair also the version number?

Its two sticks one 16gb and 8gb. But they are both diffrent MHz but I put it to 3000 in bios.

1 minute ago, GM7 said:

Its two sticks one 16gb and 8gb. But they are both diffrent MHz

Brand and model of both sticks?

3 hours ago, GM7 said:

Hi, So recently I started having this issue so my 2x 1920x1080 monitors would turn off while gaming. Like monitors would turn off but PC would still be running, lights fans, etc.

Then it's not the PSU.

17 minutes ago, GM7 said:

Hi, so after doing DDU in safe mode, and installing drivers and everything again. I tried playing the game again. But it crashed again but this time monitor was still on game froze and was put in the background, and then I closed the game with taskbar but after some time like 5-10 min black screen again. Then when I turned on the pc again and went to download some programs to stress out the GPU to test it but then both monitors froze and some colored squares appeared on the screen randomly.

image0.jpg

Do a RAM test.

What are your GPU temps?

10 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Brand and model of both sticks?

8GB one is G.SKILL 8 GB DDR4, 2133 MHz F4-2133C15S-8GNT
16GB I am not sure  I can't find the original document, but I think it's corsair 3100 Mhz I think.

39 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Do a RAM test.

What are your GPU temps?

Okay, So I'm writing this from my laptop since I still can't turn the pc on, but I did the unigine superposition test and Max temp was 83 on GPU, And everything worked fine during the benchmark but 2-5 min after monitors turned off again but pc was still running like before. But now I can't turn on the pc and led light near the ram on the motherboard is orange for like 3 sec then red for 3 sec and then white and pc starts but monitors don't turn on.

I will do the MemTest64 test soon if it will let me.

Edit: While I was writing this on my laptop I manage to turn on the pc and windows started in recovery mode, and the led was again orange then red then white and this time, in the end, it was green and I manage to enter the windows and recover benchmark results.

For some reason It says OS: Windows 10 But i'm actually on Windows 11
Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_12215_1645032286.thumb.png.df6722d2ad066623738f79ad8649e9fa.png

2 hours ago, GM7 said:

8GB one is G.SKILL 8 GB DDR4, 2133 MHz F4-2133C15S-8GNT
16GB I am not sure  I can't find the original document, but I think it's corsair 3100 Mhz I think.

So you're mixing RAM. That's not done with Ryzen. Buy a matched kit with at least 3200C16.

36 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

So you're mixing RAM. That's not done with Ryzen. Buy a matched kit with at least 3200C16.

Yeah sure, but I’m trying to resolve this black screen problem first then performance after.

3 hours ago, GM7 said:

image0.jpg

Artifacting like this is usually due to bad VRAM, but from what I've read can also be caused by faulty RAM. Have you tried booting it with only one stick of RAM?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

9 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Artifacting like this is usually due to bad VRAM, but from what I've read can also be caused by faulty RAM. Have you tried booting it with only one stick of RAM?

Doing ram memory tests right now 8 gb stick passed, 16gb one is 2/4 passes, If they both pass I will try with one stick.

1 hour ago, GM7 said:

Yeah sure, but I’m trying to resolve this black screen problem first then performance after.

The crash is a probably RAM issue. You can't do a proper troubleshout when you have a shitty RAM configuration.

8 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

The crash is a probably RAM issue. You can't do a proper troubleshout when you have a shitty RAM configuration.

I have this ram configuration for a long time. Why would it suddenly be a problem?

4 hours ago, GM7 said:

Then when I turned on the pc again and went to download some programs to stress out the GPU to test it but then both monitors froze and some colored squares appeared on the screen randomly.

image0.jpg

Why are you arguing about his RAM?

Pictured above is a classic example of a bad GPU, probably caused by bad VRAM or high overclock of the VRAM.

1 minute ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Pictured above is a classic example of a bad GPU, probably caused by bad VRAM or high overclock of the VRAM.

Would you know if this types of problems are usually covered by warranty? I didn’t do any overclocking.

56 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

It's really weird to me for the card to have issues like this but not have it right out the gate. Possible, but unlikely. I was curious that it could be the RAM too but it's looking more and more like the VRAM is giving up the ghost.

54 minutes ago, GM7 said:

Would you know if this types of problems are usually covered by warranty? I didn’t do any overclocking.

It should be covered by warranty. If this kind of artifacting persists even with one stick of RAM, I'd consider RMAing it. Unclear, though, if they would actually replace the card or just give you a refund.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

21 hours ago, GM7 said:

image0.jpg

This definitely look like GPU related issue.

What are the temps on it when on load?

30 minutes ago, Voy said:

This definitely look like GPU related issue.

What are the temps on it when on load?

Im trying to test it now but monitors just go black screen when I run 8k test for example. This is with one stick of ram 16gb for testing.

Just now, GM7 said:

Im trying to test it now but monitors just go black screen when I run 8k test for example. This is with one stick of ram 16gb for testing.

20 hours ago, GM7 said:

Okay, So I'm writing this from my laptop since I still can't turn the pc on, but I did the unigine superposition test and Max temp was 83 on GPU, And everything worked fine during the benchmark but 2-5 min after monitors turned off again but pc was still running like before. But now I can't turn on the pc and led light near the ram on the motherboard is orange for like 3 sec then red for 3 sec and then white and pc starts but monitors don't turn on.

I will do the MemTest64 test soon if it will let me.

Edit: While I was writing this on my laptop I manage to turn on the pc and windows started in recovery mode, and the led was again orange then red then white and this time, in the end, it was green and I manage to enter the windows and recover benchmark results.

For some reason It says OS: Windows 10 But i'm actually on Windows 11
Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_12215_1645032286.thumb.png.df6722d2ad066623738f79ad8649e9fa.png

Here ware temps before when it would let me run it.

850 is fine even my 750W handles a 3080 even with the 450W BIOS.  I don't run that outside of benchmarks because the fans become intolerable though.  I have it maxed at 325W for 24/7 (with a much lower voltage curve).

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

53 minutes ago, GM7 said:

Here ware temps before when it would let me run it.

Right, 83 is a bit high but not high enough to shut off or show artifacts.

I am afraid you might have GPU that is going off.... if you bought it new it will be still under warranty and something like that should be dealt as RMA. Main problem might be stock availability for new one for you... I would give a shout to where you bought it and see what they say.