Free security camera software

Hey all,

My parents are lokking to get two security cameras (and maybe a smart doorbell) to cover our front entrance and the driveway. We don't mind spending the money for the hardware but we want to stay away from having to relly on a third party subscription so monitor and save footage. We haven't setled yet on any brand of cameras or anything, but the for the doorbell that would most likely be a Ring one.

I'm looking for suggestions in terms of product but mostly for a software that can monitor and save like 24hrs of footage (more is better). This would run on a local PC that can be on 24/7 if needed. We don't mind having to run ethernet for PTE or those cameras can also be battery powered and wireless. Any suggestions will be considered 😄 .

Thank you all.

Check out Zoneminder,  Takes a bit of configuration to get it working properly however.   Not sure if the ring doorbell is compatible either.

Good call.  Keep in mind that Ring and some others may have backdoor sharing with law enforcement--and while there's nothing wrong with that in theory, it should be consensual on the part of the person on whose property footage is being recorded.  I don't think that's a widely known/understood thing though.

22 hours ago, Vulture78 said:

Check out Zoneminder,  Takes a bit of configuration to get it working properly however.   Not sure if the ring doorbell is compatible either.

I will definitively look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.