Would this be a viable upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by Bitter,
4 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

So if the 5600x is in stock that is what you would recommend?

Yes, especially if it's cheaper than the 5700G and you won't want or need the integrated graphics in the future.

Budget (including currency): 250 - 300 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p gaming in Minecraft, CS:GO, Cities Skylines,  Light Video Editing, and Compiling C code

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 5700G would this be a viable upgrade? (see included parts list)

Thanks,

Badlou101

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G (14nm) 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($133.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory  ($64.56 @ MemoryC) 
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($88.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card 
Case: Zalman S3 ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ Amazon) 

So the 5700G instead of the Athlon, correct?

I would definitely recommend faster ram, between 3200 and 3600MHz. 2133MHz is going to kill your CPU's performance. Ryzen likes fast RAM.

I'd change out the SSD, but that's just because I have a bad taste in my mouth surrounding Kingston, going back to when they sent every major tech reviewer a brand new, high-end SSD...then put the same label on a literal pile of shit that went out to consumers.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah if your board supports it that would be a massive upgrade.

it is supported

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

So the 5700G instead of the Athlon, correct?

I would definitely recommend faster ram, between 3200 and 3600MHz. 2133MHz is going to kill your CPU's performance. Ryzen likes fast RAM.

I'd change out the SSD, but that's just because I have a bad taste in my mouth surrounding Kingston, going back to when they sent every major tech reviewer a brand new, high-end SSD...then put the same label on a literal pile of shit that went out to consumers.

Barely use the Kingston SSD anymore and Thanks for the tip ill make sure to upgrade my memory soon

1 minute ago, badlou101 said:

ill make sure to upgrade my memory soon

You could try overclocking it. The Ryzen 7 5700G has a pretty good memory controller, so you might be able to get some decent speed. If you manage to get to something like 2800 MHz with not very high latency, (a bit of a stretch but possible) you would see some pretty big performance improvements

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

You could try overclocking it. The Ryzen 7 5700G has a pretty good memory controller, so you might be able to get some decent speed. If you manage to get to something like 2800 MHz with not very high latency, (a bit of a stretch but possible) you would see some pretty big performance improvements

New to overclocking but ill try it thanks

Just wondering why a 5700G if you have a 1050ti or are you looking to ditch the 1050ti and use the 5700G graphics? That would be a downgrade from the 1050ti I think. Why not grab something like a Ryzen 2600 or 2700 or 3600 for less money to pair with the 1050ti? In the USA a used 2600 can be had for $150 or less, a 3600 for $200 or less, and a 5700G is $300 or more. Either the 2600 or 3600 is a big bump over the 3000G.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Just wondering why a 5700G if you have a 1050ti or are you looking to ditch the 1050ti and use the 5700G graphics? That would be a downgrade from the 1050ti I think. Why not grab something like a Ryzen 2600 or 2700 or 3600 for less money to pair with the 1050ti? In the USA a used 2600 can be had for $150 or less, a 3600 for $200 or less, and a 5700G is $300 or more. Either the 2600 or 3600 is a big bump over the 3000G.

Probably because... they intend on upgrading the system to a GPU when stock is available.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

Probably because... they intend on upgrading the system to a GPU when stock is available.

Then why not spend the extra $50 to get the 5800X so that they can also gain PCIe 4.0 with a B550 or X570 board later on as well?

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

correct

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Then why not spend the extra $50 to get the 5800X so that they can also gain PCIe 4.0 with a B550 or X570 board later on as well?

thanks I will  consider that 

Just now, badlou101 said:

thanks I will  consider that 

Please do. PCIe 4.0 is a bit overhyped right now but it's going to be more important pretty fast with 5.0 on the horizon and later cards expecting 4.0 speeds or 5.0 speeds, being stuck with 3.0 will be pretty bad potentially.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Please do. PCIe 4.0 is a bit overhyped right now but it's going to be more important pretty fast with 5.0 on the horizon and later cards expecting 4.0 speeds or 5.0 speeds, being stuck with 3.0 will be pretty bad potentially.

PCIe 2.0 didn't become a restriction on performance until after the CPU themselves that supported it were already long obsolete. I can't picture PCIe 3.0 being very different.

I don't recommend trying to future proof a system via features like this, and by the time OP wants to upgrade the whole motherboard, chances are the CPU will be upgraded with it, most likely on another socket

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

PCIe 2.0 didn't become a restriction on performance until after the CPU themselves that supported it were already long obsolete. I don't recommend trying to future proof a system via features like this, and by the time OP wants to upgrade the whole motherboard, chances are the CPU will be upgraded with it, most likely on another socket

"Future proofing" = spending more now then replacing the whole system in three years anyway

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

PCIe 2.0 didn't become a restriction on performance until after the CPU themselves that supported it were already long obsolete. I can't picture PCIe 3.0 being very different.

I don't recommend trying to future proof a system via features like this, and by the time OP wants to upgrade the whole motherboard, chances are the CPU will be upgraded with it, most likely on another socket

If the 6500XT trend continues tho...

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If the 6500XT trend continues tho...

I sincerely believe it won't. The 6500XT is an anomaly, particularly because it is explicitly a mobile GPU adapted for desktop use and the design has many shortcomings regardless of the PCIe version you're using.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

I sincerely believe it won't. The 6500XT is an anomaly, particularly because it is explicitly a mobile GPU adapted for desktop use and the design has many shortcomings regardless of the PCIe version you're using.

I hope it won't as well but $50 for a superior CPU isn't a lot to pay. If he's only going to be using the CPU portion of the APU then why not just buy a 3700X which is more or less what the CPU of a 5700G is performance wise, Microcenter has them for $240 which is yet again a $50 savings over the 5700G for about the same CPU performance in games and you still get PCIe 4.0 when/if they upgrade the motherboard later on to a 500 series chipset. If the plan is to recycle the 5700G into a media PC or 2nd PC without a dGPU then the 5700G does make more sense and it would be great in that role.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I hope it won't as well but $50 for a superior CPU isn't a lot to pay. If he's only going to be using the CPU portion of the APU then why not just buy a 3700X which is more or less what the CPU of a 5700G is performance wise, Microcenter has them for $240 which is yet again a $50 savings over the 5700G for about the same CPU performance in games and you still get PCIe 4.0 when/if they upgrade the motherboard later on to a 500 series chipset. If the plan is to recycle the 5700G into a media PC or 2nd PC without a dGPU then the 5700G does make more sense and it would be great in that role.

Depends on where OP is buying. Availability might make the 5700G more compelling, though if any online store is an option, the 5800X isn't hard to find 

Edited by Fasauceome

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

The Tustin Micro Center does not sell the 3700X and I do plan to use PCIe 4 in the future

8 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

The Tustin Micro

10 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

The Tustin Micro Center does not sell the 3700X and I do plan to use PCIe 4 in the future

I don't know how I screwed up the quote there LOL.

So the listing said 3700X but when I actually followed the link it was a 5600X for $250 and it shows as in stock for Tustin for pickup today if you reserve it online I guess? I haven't bought in person at a MC in probably a decade to be honest. A 5600X is a great CPU for gaming honestly but the 5700G might edge it out in  productivity work where more threads are more important than higher individual clock speeds. Also PCIe 4.0, in my opinion the 5600X ticks off more boxes than the 5700G does. Availability I guess will be the deciding factor. Keep in mind that  whatever CPU you do pick, the 2133 memory will be a pretty bad bottleneck. I'd suggest picking up some 3200 C16 stuff as a minimum for whatever CPU you go with.

Literally anything will be a huge upgrade over the 3000G you have now. In the mean time, OC the 300G as much as possible while you're deciding. I got my 200GE from 3.2ghz to 3.8ghz with relative ease it there was a massive gain in performance in benchmarks as well as system boot time and overall system 'feel'.

You can see here in the spreadsheet that they went from 54fps to 78fps in TombRaider, that's a big jump from 500mhz CPU and shows how CPU bound they were and I suspect you'd see similar gains while you're deciding or waiting for prices to drop a little more.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bitter said:

I don't know how I screwed up the quote there LOL.

So the listing said 3700X but when I actually followed the link it was a 5600X for $250 and it shows as in stock for Tustin for pickup today if you reserve it online I guess? I haven't bought in person at a MC in probably a decade to be honest. A 5600X is a great CPU for gaming honestly but the 5700G might edge it out in  productivity work where more threads are more important than higher individual clock speeds. Also PCIe 4.0, in my opinion the 5600X ticks off more boxes than the 5700G does. Availability I guess will be the deciding factor. Keep in mind that  whatever CPU you do pick, the 2133 memory will be a pretty bad bottleneck. I'd suggest picking up some 3200 C16 stuff as a minimum for whatever CPU you go with.

Literally anything will be a huge upgrade over the 3000G you have now. In the mean time, OC the 300G as much as possible while you're deciding. I got my 200GE from 3.2ghz to 3.8ghz with relative ease it there was a massive gain in performance in benchmarks as well as system boot time and overall system 'feel'.

You can see here in the spreadsheet that they went from 54fps to 78fps in TombRaider, that's a big jump from 500mhz CPU and shows how CPU bound they were and I suspect you'd see similar gains while you're deciding or waiting for prices to drop a little more.

4 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

Yes, especially if it's cheaper than the 5700G and you won't want or need the integrated graphics in the future.