Alienware AW3821DW Questions

Crosseyed Sniper

Hello,

If you don't mind, I have a few questions for those of you who own this monitor. I know these issues can vary from panel to panel, just curious what you all have noticed with yours. 

How is panel uniformity? Do you notice one side being darker/lighter than the other, and/or notice a pinkish or reddish tint on either side?

Does the monitor get hot?

Do you notice fan noise?

Are the whites and blacks true to color, or do they appear off?

What are your overall thoughts on this large monitor, and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to reading your responses.

1 hour ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Dude an OLED model is coming out soon, hold your horses on that...

Thanks! Yeah, I'm aware of that. 😜

Id be scared of using OLED on a pc, better set up that monitor to go to sleep often, change your background wallpapers every 5 minutes or less & make the taskbar collapse and probably stop using icons on the desktop too

Edit: I had tried a alienware ultrawide before, half the screen was warm half cold, and terrible blb, went with a lg ultrawide and it had none of those problems, also runs cooler & is double as thin

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

On 2/12/2022 at 8:25 AM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm aware of that. 😜

Not to mention the OLED model will be cheaper. Dell confirmed pricing to be at $1299. At this price it isn't even a competition. When availability is good enough, most higher-end ultrawides will just sit on shelves.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, Daethz said:

Id be scared of using OLED on a pc, better set up that monitor to go to sleep often,

Screen savers aren't a hassle to set up. Just set it to enable at 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity and you're good to go.

change your background wallpapers every 5 minutes or less

Wallpaper Engine is a great and inexpensive solution for that.

& make the taskbar collapse and probably stop using icons on the desktop too

Not a hard thing to get used to tbh. With how good search got on W11 i stopped using any kind of desktop shortcut even without an OLED monitor.

Edit: I had tried a alienware ultrawide before, half the screen was warm half cold, and terrible blb, went with a lg ultrawide and it had none of those problems, also runs cooler & is double as thin

Sounds like an obvious unit specific defect. Stuff like that wouldn't make me stop buying one brand's product. Avoiding a brand because of such a thing is as stupid as fanboying for a brand. Look at the product, not the brand.

All that being said, QD-OLED will be more resistant to burn-in than current LG WOLED panels. The way in how they work is completely different and if even half of what Samsung and Dell said about these monitors is true, then they will hands down be the best panels, overcoming even the best IPS / VA options.

And Dell seems to be comfortable enough to include burn-in protection in their warranty for this monitor. So it seems they figured out enough ways to prevent it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.