Anyone knows what this monitor problem is?

BurgoWhoppermann

Hey there!

I've noticed a strange thing with my 3-weeks-old monitor MSI MPG321UR-QD.

I have no idea who to ask about this, as i have never seen this before. It seems to be under the display. But not a dead pixel, as a dead pixel would probably be square. Is it dirt under the display?

Is there any way to fix this? Or is this some electronic error? Sorry for the noob question.

Just to be clear: Its under the surface, you can not simply "clean" it as I have hopelessly tried 🙂

thanks and all the best from Berlin

IMG_1296.heif IMG_1297.heif

2022-02-10 13_24_07-IMG_1297.jpg ‎- Fotos.jpg

2022-02-10 13_24_34-IMG_1296.jpg ‎- Fotos.jpg

Edited by BurgoWhoppermann

Dead pixels aren't always square this is probably a group of dead and semi dead pixels.

Dust/debris between layers of the display seems most likely to me.

A dead pixels would be a black square, a semi dead or stuck pixel would be a certain color, like red, green, blue or a combination of two of those.

A pixel consists of a red, green and blue LED, these are called the subpixels.. If you want black, all three subpixels are turned off, if you want white you turn all three subpixels on. Let's say the green in the pixels in broken, that means when it tries to turn on all three subpixels, only red and blue turn on; giving you a purple color (instead of the white color it should produce).

That is why I say this is dust/debris. A dead pixels would be - as you said - a square and not 'fuzzy', while a dead subpixel would give you something other than black.

Just to be sure the issue is not with your cable or device, try a different cable connected to a different computer/laptop, just to be sure.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Dust/debris between layers of the display seems most likely to me.

A dead pixels would be a black square, a semi dead or stuck pixel would be a certain color, like red, green, blue or a combination of two of those.

A pixel consists of a red, green and blue LED, these are called the subpixels.. If you want black, all three subpixels are turned off, if you want white you turn all three subpixels on. Let's say the green in the pixels in broken, that means when it tries to turn on all three subpixels, only red and blue turn on; giving you a purple color (instead of the white color it should produce).

That is why I say this is dust/debris. A dead pixels would be - as you said - a square and not 'fuzzy', while a dead subpixel would give you something other than black.

Just to be sure the issue is not with your cable or device, try a different cable connected to a different computer/laptop, just to be sure.

Never thought about the reasoning/science when looking at dead pixels. I forget that technology isn't magic sometimes.