i9-12900k now or wait for AMD Ryzen 7000

Go to solution Solved by StalePie42,
1 hour ago, Pachuca said:

I'm planning to make a new build and I'm mixed if I should wait or not. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of waiting or pulling the trigger and going with Intel?

if your happy with your current system than wait other wise you have to take a gamble on performance and features that the new AMD cpus might not have 

I'm planning to make a new build and I'm mixed if I should wait or not. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of waiting or pulling the trigger and going with Intel?

As always, if you can wait, then you likely don't really need the upgrade now and you should wait.

If you can't wait... then you don't wait and get whatever is available now.

New Ryzen should be expected likely Q3/Q4 this year so if you can wait that long it's up to you.

no one has a crystal ball. you have to make the determination if it's worth it to spend money upfront for a known level of performance, or take the gamble with waiting - keeping in mind the unknowns - of course the largest two being price and performance of next gen ryzen (not the 3d cache). 

You didn't mention what you have now, if there is an actual need to upgrade or just want. If I hadn't built a powerful system in the past year, and was debating upgrading, I would probably go intel, either the i5 or i7 K model. Performance of even the i5 is so good, there is absolutely no reason to get the i9 unless you are loaded or actually need the multicore perf. based on the wording of your post you don't appear to fall into the latter category. 

if your happy with your current system than wait other wise you have to take a gamble on performance and features that the new AMD cpus might not have 

Since the new Ryzen hasn't been released yet we can't really know the pros or cons and performance differences between them. 

And you haven't really spoken about what you will use the PC for...

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

As always, if you can wait, then you likely don't really need the upgrade now and you should wait.

If you can't wait... then you don't wait and get whatever is available now.

I am in this situation that was described by @WereCat.

My PC is now about 3 years old now (GPU ~1,5 years old) and I do want to upgrade but beause I only use it for gaming in 1440p then I will barely notice any significant performance increase.

So if you have a decent working PC and you can wait half a year then you obviously don't really need the upgrade.

And my opinion is that if you can wait then you should wait. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9.