Is this fiber loss?

mrb00ce

So few days ago i moved from my 1st floor to 2nd floor and i also moved my fiber modem into my new room and now my internet speed seems to fluctuate alot, for example if my internet is 4mbps then the speed randomly drops to 2 or even 1 mbps, I even tried using an ethernet cable but the problem still persist, no one else is using my wifi i made sure of that,
so can anyone please help me ?

Please explain how you have your setup connected, and what you changed during the move.

When we will have to guess you will be disappointed. 馃槢

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Please explain how you have your setup connected, and what you changed during the move.

When we will have to guess you will be disappointed. 馃槢

So a bit of backstory i had to call my ISP to move the the modem and the wires to my 2nd floor because one of the boxes( its a black box which converts a black wire into a yellow wire) got stuck between the grills of my old room so i had to call my ISP to cut the wire and reattach it on the 2nd floor. As of now the yellow wire isn't bent but my internet is slower than usual.

It's possible the fiber wasn't re-terminated properly in its new position, or a connector somewhere in the chain got dirty.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, mrb00ce said:

for example if my internet is 4mbps then the speed randomly drops to 2 or even 1 mbps,

I hope these numbers are just "for example" because these speeds sounds like DSL-era type of speeds.

1 hour ago, mrb00ce said:

So a bit of backstory i had to call my ISP to move the the modem and the wires to my 2nd floor because one of the boxes( its a black box which converts a black wire into a yellow wire) got stuck between the grills of my old room so i had to call my ISP to cut the wire and reattach it on the 2nd floor. As of now the yellow wire isn't bent but my internet is slower than usual.

Wire colour is not helpful at all.

This sounds like something only the ISP can help with. Contact them so they can send a technician out to troubleshoot the issue. Quote the speeds you're paying for versus what you're getting over ethernet. Test speeds again before the technician leaves.

Yeah it sounds like your fiber cable may have been kinked/damaged, or something similar. There are several videos showing how fiber does not like tight coils and sharp bends. In severe cases, the cable itself needs to be replaced. Checkout the ~11:00 mark in this video..聽

13 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I hope these numbers are just "for example" because these speeds sounds like DSL-era type of speeds.

I mean they MIGHT mean MB or MiB, as too many ISPs claim VDSL as fibre.聽 But it certainly doesn't sound like ACTUAL fibre.

Router:聽 Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7