Can i take a SSD with Windows installed out of one pc and put it in a brand new pc and windows will work on that new pc?

Finlay OReilly

Can i take a SSD with Windows installed out of one pc and put it in a brand new pc and windows will work on that new pc?

I want to keep the 200gb of data on it will this work? 

and the new pc has different hardware 

Yes it will work, Windows will usually deal with all the driver stuff for you.

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

Make sure to update crucial drivers though, such as chipset and graphics. Otherwise, you shouldn't run into any issues.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X  |  Nvidia Gainward GTX 1070  |  Windows 10 Home

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus  |  2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15  |  SSD - 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280  |  500W be quiet! Pure Power 11

As long as the Windows on the HDD is compatible with the new hardware it should work. If the Windows install is not compatible then you would have to do a few things to move it over. If the Windows on the drive is installed on MBR and setup in legacy and the new hardware is UEFI only then it may not work.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Yes but it is very known to cause issues either soon or later. Best to just start over. You can just copy the data to another drive.

22 minutes ago, Finlay OReilly said:

I want to keep the 200gb of data on it will this work? 

and the new pc has different hardware 

The actual answer to this is maybe, but you really shouldn't.

Windows activation is tied to a specific PC, you move it to another one and it will become unauthorised and unless its a retail copy your license does not cover re-authenticating it on a different PC.

There are sometimes workarounds and OEM copies "sometimes" will stay authorised (or they used to, not sure about current Windows editions) but technically you're in breach of the license in doing that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

43 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The actual answer to this is maybe, but you really shouldn't.

Windows activation is tied to a specific PC, you move it to another one and it will become unauthorised and unless its a retail copy your license does not cover re-authenticating it on a different PC.

There are sometimes workarounds and OEM copies "sometimes" will stay authorised (or they used to, not sure about current Windows editions) but technically you're in breach of the license in doing that.

I built the pc myself and activated windows myself it is not activated by an OEM 

4 hours ago, Finlay OReilly said:

I built the pc myself and activated windows myself it is not activated by an OEM 

You still have a license that came from somewhere if you built it yourself. Even if you've upgraded from Win7. If you bought the license from a legit source it's either OEM or retail, and most likely it's OEM. Open a command prompt and enter slmgr /dlv

OEM's officially cannot be moved off their existing motherboard they were installed on. Sometimes they re-activate, mostly they don't and Windows just keeps pestering you unless you buy another license.

i've read that most people say it won't work but it did work for a few people................

my old desktop's SSD is on Win7-32bit...............i wonder if it can work in a laptop that had a HDD with Win10-64bit..............??

On 2/8/2022 at 10:43 PM, wseaton said:

You still have a license that came from somewhere if you built it yourself. Even if you've upgraded from Win7. If you bought the license from a legit source it's either OEM or retail, and most likely it's OEM. Open a command prompt and enter slmgr /dlv

OEM's officially cannot be moved off their existing motherboard they were installed on. Sometimes they re-activate, mostly they don't and Windows just keeps pestering you unless you buy another license.

it says it is a retail key

On 2/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, kriegisyourbae said:

Make sure to update crucial drivers though, such as chipset and graphics. Otherwise, you shouldn't run into any issues.

so should moving between an amd and nividia graphics card cause problems?

On 2/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, Finlay OReilly said:

so should moving between an amd and nividia graphics card cause problems?

I haven't switched between GPU manufacturer's myself yet, but I am pretty sure this shouldn't cause issues. However, I'd advise you uninstall the drivers of one and then install the drivers of the other to make sure that everything is clean. A tool designed and often recommended to remove GPU drivers is DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X  |  Nvidia Gainward GTX 1070  |  Windows 10 Home

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus  |  2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15  |  SSD - 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280  |  500W be quiet! Pure Power 11