Please urgent, i'm panicking.. Hard drive doesnt open anymore... was just fine this morning..

matrixmodulator
Go to solution Solved by matrixmodulator,

oh damn, easeus recovery saved me.

Hello,

please someone i need help with this drive it's 1tb WD, it was fine this morning, i installed a 3070 evga gpu and swapped a usb pcie card in another slot to make room for the gpu.

The hard drive was not even connected to this pcie usb card, it was in a docking station connected to usb motherboard directly.

Now when i open windows it says not accessible when i try to open it.

I did not removed the drive from the docking station without turning it off first.

I dont understand, there is 3 drives that does the same thing, they were in the docking station.

It says access denied.

I can see it's 30% free space left on this R: drive in the disk management of win10. It was about that as i remember, data seems there, just not accessible...

What happened???

I rebooted the computer and windows tried to repair it automaticly when i put this drive directly in sata connector in the computer instead of the docking station.

But i still cant open it...

image.png.5f114ad09d9603ca92ec1a973f773e1f.png

image.png.723d75861eeed52774c1eea780a65dc6.png

OK so download Linux Mint or your distro fo choosing flash it onto a usb drive and than boot into it and recover the data from The Linux USB onto another one but if even linux doesn't recognize or can't access you drives you are screwed

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

3 minutes ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

OK so download Linux Mint or your distro fo choosing flash it onto a usb drive and than boot into it and recover the data from The Linux USB onto another one but if even linux doesn't recognize or can't access you drives you are screwed

I never used linux, is there a simpler way?

1 minute ago, matrixmodulator said:

I never used linux, is there a simpler way?

Not that I know of but it is pretty simple you follow a guide with 3 downloads and flash a image you boot into linux and just click on the drive and do the backup part later just check if you can access it in linux

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

2 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

this will not erase the data on it right?

It won't erase data

You got backups? Restore those if you can.

Id make a imge with ddrescue in linux first.

But if data is important id send it off to data recovery.

1 minute ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

It won't erase data

that question was about what Michael2 posted

Yeah I read the post amazing huh clicking on a link and reading it that seems impossible /s

You probably don't want to use chkdisk without making a imagae first, chkdisk can make data loss worse. 

10 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

this will not erase the data on it right?

no it will not.

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

6 minutes ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Yeah I read the post amazing huh clicking on a link and reading it that seems impossible /s

i just wanted to make sure, i'm really panicking right now, trying to stay calm

Just try rebooting

1 hour ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Just try rebooting

i already tried that and it did the scan and repair when it rebooted... now i can open this drive in another computer that use win7 but i lost the main files i was working on this week... i'm not sure what else is lost but i cant find that and it shows the same hard drive innacessible in the win10 computer, i just can open it in the win7 computer (with the missing files) i'm now running recuva... it did not find the files i was working on this week but it found a few other files... is there a better one than recuva?

2 hours ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Just try rebooting

So it looks like i didnt lost many important files except the ones i was working on this week.. i'm using easeus recovery now because recuva didnt find it... is there some tips to recover files that were recently edited? It seems like it affected more the recently edited files than the older ones