Is it ok to leave my HD in a docking station like this for light data transfer?

matrixmodulator

Is it ok to leave my HD in a docking station like this for light data transfer?

For example if i use it to store photoshop and autocad files while working on them and also another one that's almost always in write process but very light slow speed around 100kb/s 

ORICO 4 Bay USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station, Docking Station  Encloure for 2.5" and 3.5" Hard Drives, Support | Walmart Canada

should be fine.  How does that attach to your computer?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

4 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

should be fine.  How does that attach to your computer?

USB3 striaght in the motherboard back panel

Yeah, it's fine. That's the point of these docks. As long as you cable manage to reduce the risk of accidentally killing power to the dock while the drives are being accessed you can theoretically leave them in there indefinitely.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Yeah, it's fine. That's the point of these docks. As long as you cable manage to reduce the risk of accidentally killing power to the dock while the drives are being accessed you can theoretically leave them in there indefinitely.

Ok good, the cables are not even accessible easily, all secure, thanks!!

It's not related to docking stations but what's up with seagate... i had 3 in my life and they all had problems after 4 years and one of them failed i was lucky to recover the data. never had problems widh WD, i have one that,s 11 years now and running fine with 0 errors in crystaldiskinfo software. btw is crystaldiskinfo reliable best one out there?

On 2/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, matrixmodulator said:

It's not related to docking stations but what's up with seagate... i had 3 in my life and they all had problems after 4 years and one of them failed i was lucky to recover the data. never had problems widh WD, i have one that,s 11 years now and running fine with 0 errors in crystaldiskinfo software. btw is crystaldiskinfo reliable best one out there?

All mechanical HDDs fail, but different designs work differently (even from the same manufacturure).  The general advise is to try and diversify your raid as much as possible so that they die at different times.

45 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

All mechanical HDDs fail, but different designs work differently (even from the same manufacturure).  The general advise is to try and diversify your raid as much as possible so that they die at different times.

*deleted

Just now, matrixmodulator said:

they didnt die, it's the docking station that had an issue and affected all 3 drives in the same way. one of them was almost new.

Was it a single instance like a power surge that wiped all three out instantly or did they all die at different times while plugged in there?  Because if it wasn't an isolated instance, you should dump that docking station.

yeah they all had the same issue at the same time, i thought this was my other post about it trying to recover the data so i deleted my previouscomment but yeah, now i got all the stuff back from easeus recovery software. I'm dumping that docking station for sure. I dont know what happened, they didnt even move. I installed a new gpu then started the computer and started the docking, maybe i started them too quick, i really dont know, i always take care...