Ubuntu 14.04 LTS With 5 Year Support Is Now Available For Download

SangeetKhatri

Ubuntu LTS releases come out every two years, and offer folks (and businesses) that don’t want to go through the hassle of updating their operating system every 6 to 18 months a chance to run a version of Ubuntu that’ll be supported for a bit longer than that.

As an LTS release, the developers focused on stabilizing and fine tuning features from the last few versions of Ubuntu rather than introducing big changes.

r80hHbi.jpg

Canonical is also focusing on cloud services as it continues to push Ubuntu as an enterprise operating system for servers. Ubuntu 14.04 also adds support for 64-bit ARM microservers.

Among other changes, the desktop version Ubuntu 14.04 includes:

• Unity 8 desktop environment
  • Support for high DPI screens
  • New lock screen and screen saver
  • New window decorations
  • Update to LibreOffice 4.2.3 with a new Start Center, and Writer and Calc improvements
  • New Ubuntu-specific settings application

As a die hard and full time Linux user and an Ubuntu fan myself, I really love Ubuntu and the diretion that  14.04 is going and this is what I would be sticking with for like the next two years until 16.04 comes out. Ubuntu 14.04 is the best Ubuntu release till date and this 14.04 build focuses more on stability with a lot of testing and very stable Open Source drivers and support for more newer hardware with the newer kernel. I own an AMD A8 6600K which was really buggy with the previous releases because of the older Kernel but it has been updated and should be flawless.

Link to this article : http://liliputing.com/2014/04/ubuntu-14-04-lts-now-available.html

Some other relevant links :

1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Review : The Good, the Bad and the Awesomehttp://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/ubuntu-14-04-download-review

2. 10 Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTShttp://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04

3. 7 Improvements In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS That You’re Going To Love : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/03/7-ubuntu-14-04-lts-improvements-youll-love

that's for servers thought... but works.

Oh! Well.. if it is for server, then no need to upgrade. Stability is the key for servers.

Anyways for server my first choice distro would be Debian/CentOS or Slackware (for more advanced users). What was the reason for you choosing 12.04 over CentOS/Slackware/Debian Stable. Debian works 90 percent of the time just like Ubuntu as Ubuntu itself is based off Debian.

Now the countdown starts for Elementary OS Isis O.o 

Yes, it is a fast and beautiful distro but it is a bit too Mac..ish for my taste, but yes, it is a good distro nevertheless.

Yes, it is a fast and beautiful distro but it is a bit too Mac..ish for my taste, but yes, it is a good distro nevertheless.

explain me why? to Mac..ish Ubuntu distro's never looked the same as mac os. never mind they have a total other filesystem.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Now the countdown starts for Elementary OS Isis O.o 

YES!!!!

And I will try this. Right @technovore?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

explain me why? to Mac..ish Ubuntu distro's never looked the same as mac os. never mind they have a total other filesystem.

Have you seen Elementary OS? Or Pear OS? Especially Pear OS... Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Have you seen Elementary OS? Or Pear OS? Especially Pear OS... Lawsuit waiting to happen.

why they are all linux distros, and they can setup the same environment as ubuntu! if it is made by users or the developer as open source then there is nothing to worry about.

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

why they are all linux distros, and they can setup the same environment as ubuntu! if it is made by users or the developer as open source then there is nothing to worry about.

Elementary OS wasn't that bad, but Pear OS... See what I mean?

pear_os_8_by_kdmarko23-d6ewluz.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Elementary OS wasn't that bad, but Pear OS... See what I mean?

arrrggg nothing to worry about :) does not look the same and if the theme is made open source and available to edit by anyone then apple can't do shit about that.  then

arrrggg nothing to worry about :) does not look the same and if the theme is made open source and available to edit by anyone then apple can't do shit about that.  then

But we are talking Apple... Anyway, enough derailing this thread. I do this too much. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

YES!!!!

And I will try this. Right @technovore?

everyone will! and everyone should!

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

phuq... installed 12.04 a month ago

Don't worry I'm still on 12.04 as well and will still be on till I know v14 is stable and working fine on more systems. No need to upgrade and become a guinea pig, at least not without being paid to do it.

So you guinea pigs, how's it coming along :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

2 late :P... (BTW... the install takes A LOT of time... (I'm not talking about downloading))

Any info on which steps are taking long, or just the writing of the OS to the disk? Did you do a clean install or upgrade? More details please ;)

Agh... full and integrated menu's to each window, I think that alone is pretty much worth it, not to mention the smaller Unity launcher, now I won't have to scroll down to find all those apps I have open :D

Will install on a VM and test it out some.

Upgrading from console... I'm sure a fresh install would take a lot less time... 4 Hours elapsed BTW...

I remember upgrading from 10 to 11 and all the mess it caused so I stopped doing upgrades and instead do clean installs. They may have improved the upgrade process but I don't want to relive that nightmare again.

If this keeps up it will be interesting to see how the corporate and small business world reacts.  One thing that holds many back is the lack of guaranteed support.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Don't worry I'm still on 12.04 as well and will still be on till I know v14 is stable and working fine on more systems. No need to upgrade and become a guinea pig, at least not without being paid to do it.

So you guinea pigs, how's it coming along :lol:

I'm still on Xubuntu 12.04, if that makes you feel better guys.@DEcobra11

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

If this keeps up it will be interesting to see how the corporate and small business world reacts.  One thing that holds many back is the lack of guaranteed support.

From my experience its lack of a recognizable boot screen and icons that keeps most away from Linux :rolleyes:

Should create an install with a XP logo and XP icons, that would trick 50% of the users, gotta start somewhere.

From my experience its lack of a recognizable boot screen and icons that keeps most away from Linux :rolleyes:

Should create an install with a XP logo and XP icons, that would trick 50% of the users, gotta start somewhere.

This is absolutely true for many domestic users, however I was referring to business and corporate buyers who count the beans and consider factors other than form and function when they invest in IT.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is absolutely true for many domestic users, however I was referring to business and corporate buyers who count the beans and consider factors other than form and function when they invest in IT.  

I think they fall under the same umbrella of lack of seeing something familiar even if its a logo. This is what really makes no sense for business, instead of moving to OpenSource solutions where maybe they can pitch in a pittance and pay for support for Linux, instead they go full re... <handicapped> and buy Windows licenses where all they get is an OS and loads of bloatware, they they are required to additionally pay for an Office Suite (aka MS Office) where they maybe use 25% of it and still end up paying full price for extra's they never or will rarely use. On top of that they "need" to buy a server, where instead they could just setup shares and make one of them the master or source.

Meanwhile a Linux machine could be the server and client and they could install all the software they wanted for free and the OS of course totally making their overall costs as low as possible only buying hardware. Now, I'm considering an average not tech office, you know paper pushers. All they would need it to train on how to convert docs from OpenSource version to MS office version, aka run a script or do a SaveAs...

Someday someone in Business will throw that into a business plan and prove they can make more money, but no one does it?

I think they fall under the same umbrella of lack of seeing something familiar even if its a logo. This is what really makes no sense for business, instead of moving to OpenSource solutions where maybe they can pitch in a pittance and pay for support for Linux, instead they go full re... <handicapped> and buy Windows licenses where all they get is an OS and loads of bloatware, they they are required to additionally pay for an Office Suite (aka MS Office) where they maybe use 25% of it and still end up paying full price for extra's they never or will rarely use. On top of that they "need" to buy a server, where instead they could just setup shares and make one of them the master or source.

Meanwhile a Linux machine could be the server and client and they could install all the software they wanted for free and the OS of course totally making their overall costs as low as possible only buying hardware. Now, I'm considering an average not tech office, you know paper pushers. All they would need it to train on how to convert docs from OpenSource version to MS office version, aka run a script or do a SaveAs...

Someday someone in Business will throw that into a business plan and prove they can make more money, but no one does it?

If corporations  could save money by switching to Linux they would already be doing it.  But while 90odd% aren't the question is why?  The main ones I keep coming back to is support and predictability.  Having a working IT system is crucial to business,  anyone in charge of a multinational or even just national business is not going to go openoffice (check the history on that) to save dollars.  Redhat offer what you are talking about, but many business won't switch to that over MS simply because the value is not compelling, when compared to the price corporations get for volume licenses the net savings of switching to Linux don't outweigh the risk. 

And on top of that MS server software is still the preferred (although it is losing ground to linux) implementation for corporate infrastructure. It makes sense to have one company supply all guarantees, support and services across the board.

EDIT: thought I better point out not to confuse web servers with corporate servers,  many companies and small business use windows server not Linux (just over 50% last I looked) where the web server share is more like 33% for MS.  Just incase someone tries to tell me I am wrong and puts up a pretty graph show server OS share for the WEB or super computers.

I like ubuntu but sadly there is no software I need and I dont know much about Linux but when Linux becomes more popular then Windows ill be using Ubuntu.