SSD died (again) - looking for the cause to prevent it happening again

tc004255
Go to solution Solved by SSD Sean,

Looks like you may be getting windows updates causing BSODs, not necessarily the SSD. I’d first ensure all windows updates are installed and that the OS is intact. 

sfc /scannow

chkdsk

DISM repair

etc.

Make sure the SSD firmware and motherboard UEFI is up to date, too. 

On last August, I posted that my Patriot P300 1TB SSD died and it was suspected as a unfortunate accident due to electricity outage. I managed to replace it and get Crucial MX500 500GB as well as boot/OS drive.

However now that Crucial MX SSD died suddenly too. Windows froze, no OS detected on reboot just like before. There was no electricity outage recently. Last month I checked it was at 98% health. The drive contains OS and on different partition, some apps.

I'm suspecting there is something else killing my SSD, but I have no clue where to start. Is it mobo or PSU? Or something else unlikely like heat from GPU, underclocking the CPU, or not turning off the PSU when PC is off.

I hope with your help I can pinpoint the real problem and fix it without spending a lot of money for new SSD just to see it broke again

Specs

Ryzen 5 3600

Asus Tuf GTX 1650 Super

Asrock B450M Steel Legends

Patriot Viper Blackout 2x8GB-3000MHz

Patriot P300 1TB SSD (new one, works fine)

Seagate HDD 2TB (old hdd from previous PC, works fine)

Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (broken)

Seasonic Core GC-500W

Do you have a quality PSU in this build? I didn't see a PSU model listed?

Oh sorry I forgot to add it. Now it's added in previous post

In what way is it "broken"? What's happening exactly? Frankly, having two die on you in such quick succession is an anomaly. Even if there was a surge, there's more sensitive components one would expect to take the brunt of that first. Like, I'd honestly expect a CPU or GPU failure or a cap to blow on the mobo, etc. All of that before killing an SSD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

For both SSD, the

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

In what way is it "broken"? What's happening exactly? Frankly, having two die on you in such quick succession is an anomaly. Even if there was a surge, there's more sensitive components one would expect to take the brunt of that first. Like, I'd honestly expect a CPU or GPU failure or a cap to blow on the mobo, etc. All of that before killing an SSD.

For both SSD it was roughly the same process. I was watching youtube and light browsing, then File explorer was not responding when I clicked it (with some visual glitch). Sometimes I game using this PC and no problem such as sudden restarts.

After few minutes, there was no response to ctrl alt del, so I restarted the PC only to find it boots extremely slow and ended up in rarely used Ubuntu OS in my HDD. From Ubuntu disks, I checked and there is no signs of the windows boot drive (completely missing, not even RAW)

OS is win 10 and ubuntu 20.04 if it helps. It was installed in a way so PC always boot directly to windows instead of grub where I can choose OS

If it's not hardware fault, is there any program/usage that might break windows or ssd?

I'm considering that too, but I want to really check if there is nothing else killing my ssd, because if it was power related it may kill other components - or whether I can fix the ssd

If there is little risk to new drives, I might partition my old HDD and 16GB optane drive from an old laptop as boot or cheap 128gb sata m2 ssd.

Sorry for double post, but there is an update and I'd like to ask few questions/advice

So I opened my PC, check the cables, everything is plugged in properly. Tried to turn it on, and it managed to boot into windows and the screen displayed "updating, please don't turn off your computer" for few seconds. It restarted and I'm able to use the computer. 

Is there anything I should check first to know what was wrong?

Looks like you may be getting windows updates causing BSODs, not necessarily the SSD. I’d first ensure all windows updates are installed and that the OS is intact. 

sfc /scannow

chkdsk

DISM repair

etc.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I think the key here is understanding if the drive is dead or your motherboard is having issues.  Do you have another computer you can try it with, and if not does switching m.2 ports help? 

It looks like you have a new one of these drives that does work so maybe it is the drive.  It's possible you've just had a drive die randomly but do what SSD Sean suggested.  

sfc /scannow

This scans Windows files for problems and replaces them if it finds issues.  My guess this isn't the issue since it sounds more like a filesystem issue, but you could get lucky and it's something simpler like this.

chkdsk

This is more likely to help as it checks the file system and metadata for logical and physical issues.

DISM repair

This is less likely I think but it resolves update issues.

The only other thing that comes to mind is when you had an electrical issue, did all the other components that were effected get replaced?

8 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk

DISM repair

etc.

I already run the commands, sfc /scannow find some error and fixed it.

I think everything is okay now, nothing weird like slowdowns

Thank you for the replies

Damn, that reminds me the old days...

Back in 2004, I bought a computer with, if I recall correctly, an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, P4 Prescott 3.2Ghz, 2Gb Corsair Ram and some random 200gb HDD.

I had the same problem, at some random time, my computer would tell me "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key". After, like, 4 or 5 windows reinstallation, I decided to get a new... motherboard...

Problem solved...

Have you try your SSD on another computer ?