Making cold storage device cum HTPC. Need some help

Indus Monk

I have

i5 4690k

8GB DDR3

GTX 1060 6GB

120GB SSD

As spare hardware. I am going to make a cold storage spare system cum HTPC out of it. I made a thread before, and everyone said i should use trueNAS as an OS for the system. It seems like the hardware is suffice for the cold storage part. As for the HTPC side of things, i will use things like PLEX, Youtube and light controller friendly games on it. I will also use windows for the HTPC side of it by dual booting off of two seperate SSD's (one with trueNAS and one with win10). The system will have a total of 4 sata drives. Two 120GB SSD's and two WD RED 4TB HDD

Now, my concern is that if I boot into win 10, it will gain access to the two HDDs and it might fuck up the formatting and destroy all my data. Is that possible? what can I do about that?

I insist on using trueNAS, since it has scrubbing features, that prevent bitrot. I don't know if having a network share in windows will be better, but i am happy that trueNAS has scrubbing features which prevent bitrot, hence I insist on trueNAS. Unless windows has an auto scrubbing solution.

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

So I haven't done this exact scenario. However I do have other dual boot setups with drives Windows can't recognize, or encrypted drives Windows doesn't know what to do with. When Windows boots it pops up an alert and asks do you want to format the drive as it sees a drive but can't read them. Just click no / cancel. It has never done anything or harmed any of my drives. 

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

So I haven't done this exact scenario. However I do have other dual boot setups with drives Windows can't recognize, or encrypted drives Windows doesn't know what to do with. When Windows boots it pops up an alert and asks do you want to format the drive as it sees a drive but can't read them. Just click no / cancel. It has never done anything or harmed any of my drives. 

i see. I should try this on my own them

5 hours ago, Indus Monk said:

i see. I should try this on my own them

Instead of dual boot, why not use virtual machines? 

19 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Instead of dual boot, why not use virtual machines? 

a 4690k and 8gb DDR3, Is overkill for TureNAS, but add windows 10 in a VM to the mix, wont it be a problem?