5900X High temps on Forza Horizon 5

Hello

Got a 5900X 2 days ago, bought it on a whim to replace a 3900X.. But well ain't the point 🙂

But I'm lost with its thermals on FH5... 

CPU is undervolted by 20 "points" in BIOS OC, as it was unstable with lower settings

My AIO is an Alphacool Eisbaer 280mm, "upgraded" with Arctic P14s fans, so a good cooler; however my comp is under my desk in an enclosure (open on the front), which may give a bit worse results than if it were outside

With my 3900X, idle temp was 40C, gaming around 55-60C, max temp under load (10 min CB R23 or such) max 72C

Now idle is 44C, gaming "usually" around 60-65C, CB R23 benchmark still max 72C (4300MHz all cores)...seems okay for a 5900X, Zen3 CPUs are more "jumpy" than Zen2

But after 20 min playing FH5 CPU tctl/tdie temp hovers between 80C and 85C peak (and 90C on one die), cores max freq very high between 4400 and 4900MHz !! wtf ???

It's the only game where I have these thermals,  Is it an issue with the game ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

My 2600X does the same thing on stock cooler open air (18C ambient) when going for long periods of time (horizon 4)

What temps for +30mins Cinebench r23 and Unigine superposition 1080p extreme?

56 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

What temps for +30mins Cinebench r23 and Unigine superposition 1080p extreme?

As written in CBR23 it stabilizes at 72-73C after 5-7 min and don't get higher later..

Didn't run Unigine, but it's a GPU test, and mine is watercooled and its max temp of the day is 51.5C 🥶, no issue here !

EDIT : ran Unigine benchmark CPU max 66C and GPU.. 41C 😛 ('cause it's a basic 3080 Eagle running max 1875MHz, undervolted , on a 360 CLC...)

1 hour ago, KhakiHat said:

Is thermal paste making full contact with the entire CPU lid/heat spreader?

Well I've repasted it 2 days ago when I installed my new CPU, and if there was a thermal contact issue it won't only crop up in one game and not in other games or benchmarks...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

First, the 5900X has a true max boost of 4.95GHz at stock. My 5900X was able to hit that when gaming in short bursts before I did anything with Curve Optimizer or PBO. So those frequency numbers are perfectly normal.

Second, Tdie is a hotspot temperature. When gaming in a lightly threaded game, like FH5, you'll see high usage for a single thread, and low for the rest. This results in the highest boost clocks, which in turn gives you the highest voltages, and the CPU is well outside the power limits, so it can push as much wattage as possible through the core in use. The result is that the utilized core will get rather hot, as that power - therefore heat - is concentrated in a small area.

14 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

First, the 5900X has a true max boost of 4.95GHz at stock. My 5900X was able to hit that when gaming in short bursts before I did anything with Curve Optimizer or PBO. So those frequency numbers are perfectly normal.

Second, Tdie is a hotspot temperature. When gaming in a lightly threaded game, like FH5, you'll see high usage for a single thread, and low for the rest. This results in the highest boost clocks, which in turn gives you the highest voltages, and the CPU is well outside the power limits, so it can push as much wattage as possible through the core in use. The result is that the utilized core will get rather hot, as that power - therefore heat - is concentrated in a small area.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, and there's not much to do against it... Yet it's weird that any other one core or lightly threaded game don't hit 70C and this one reaches 85C, plus it seems to "swap threads" and each of them eventually goes pretty high in turn

On 2/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, PDifolco said:

As written in CBR23 it stabilizes at 72-73C after 5-7 min and don't get higher later..

Didn't run Unigine, but it's a GPU test, and mine is watercooled and its max temp of the day is 51.5C 🥶, no issue here !

EDIT : ran Unigine benchmark CPU max 66C and GPU.. 41C 😛 ('cause it's a basic 3080 Eagle running max 1875MHz, undervolted , on a 360 CLC...)

Well I've repasted it 2 days ago when I installed my new CPU, and if there was a thermal contact issue it won't only crop up in one game and not in other games or benchmarks...

Its not about gpu temps it is about getting high enough wattage out to see if that closed cabinet can handle the heat load if 100% usage on both cpu and gpu. If the case is in a closed enclosure, it will start to recirculate air even if its open at the front end if the space is too snug.

5 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Its not about gpu temps it is about getting high enough wattage out to see if that closed cabinet can handle the heat load if 100% usage on both cpu and gpu. If the case is in a closed enclosure, it will start to recirculate air even if its open at the front end if the space is too snug.

Well using both CPU and GPU don't change much results, as the GPU is watercooled and never hit 55C it doesn't affect the CPU temp that much

And the open front has the GPU 360mm rad with intake fans in a mesh case

As I had a 3900X before I was expecting the 5900X to behave kinda similarly, but it's not ...

On high multithreaded tasks (CBR23) it does, and temps are still 72ish max, but on lightly threaded/gaming where the 3900X was max 65C, the 5900X with its much more aggressive PBO and max frequency goes very quickly (like1 min) to 75C and then streadily rises to 85C - this last rise may be due too the enclosure, and will certainly be less high if the PC was in an open area

This is not a real problem per se, the CPU is okay at those temps, but it's just uncomfortable to sit besides and fans get loud, which I hate...I've settled with just putting max CPU temp to 75C in BIOS, I don't lose much performance and it's cooler and quieter

Why did you purchase 5900X over 3900X?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Why did you purchase 5900X over 3900X?

haha

short story : by accident 🙂

Long story : last week while wanting to upgrade my watercooling adding one res the CPU was ripped off when removing the block.. either due to that or my panicky attempt at reinstalling it some pins were bent and it didn't work anymore... So I ordered a replacement 5900X as the 3900X wasn't under warranty and it made no sense to buy one now

In the meantime I realigned the pins and it worked again, but having the 5900X I decided to rather keep it and sell  the 3900X for €300 🙂 

As anyway there won't be any 5900X3D and then AM5 will require upgrading everything, it's not that bad an upgrade for €200