iPhone SE 3rd Gen Rumors, Leaks, and some hints at a new one

26 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Apple offers battery replacement to out-of-warranty SE 2's for $50.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Additionally, do you mind going to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health and screenshotting what it says?

ignore the arrow im on a call with my friend rn

DBAE7460-799A-4C5E-A100-DC48E8F2CE6F.jpeg

how are you doing today

Just now, ebprince the computer nerd said:

ignore the arrow im on a call with my friend rn

DBAE7460-799A-4C5E-A100-DC48E8F2CE6F.jpeg

Yeah, once it gets around 85% or so it dies quite quickly on the SE 2, from when I've used my dad's.

Unless you're planning to wait for the SE 3, I'd recommend a battery replacement. It can really revitalize old phones.

elephants

8 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

There are certainly legitimate reasons to have bezels though.

Take a breath, calm down and read my post again. I made the following main points:

• If your phone only lasts 2 years before it's so bad you need to replace it then it isn't very good.
  • A new iPhone SE is more expensive than the cheapest Android devices or a second hand flagship.
  • A lot of people like the old aesthetic of the iPhone SE, including the small screen.
  • The design of the iPhone SE is very similar to that of the iPhone 6 and some elements date back to even before then.

In what way is this ranty wall of text you have for some reason quoted me in a relevant response any of that?

Maybe you should calm down and take a breath and learn to read. Or write. Or something. You didn't make any of those points, you just complained iPhone SE is "too expensive" and then compared it to bunch of cheap Android phones with terrible software support and pathetic chipsets. I just explained it to you why iPhone SE costs as much as it does. Because it has a chipset from Apple's flagship product and has software support that beats even all Android flagships that cost 1000€ and more. But people just take that for granted. I calculate that into a cost and understand why iPhones my cost slightly more, but also last longer.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

you just complained iPhone SE is "too expensive" and then compared it to bunch of cheap Android phones with terrible software support and pathetic chipsets

Apologies if the tone of my post made it appear that I was complaining - I really wasn't - but if you have to put phrases that never appear in the thing you are quoting in quotation marks to prove your point, it's a good sign that you are embellishing what the writer is saying too much and assuming they mean something they actually don't. The words "too expensive" do not appear in my post, because I do not actually believe the SE is too expensive for what it is - if your budget is $400 then the iPhone SE is reasonable value for money and by some metrics is better than its Android competitors.

What I do believe, however, is that the iPhone SE isn't really in the right price bracket to be considered as a budget phone, when Android manufacturers are churning out devices for sub $200. I personally know many people who find these perfectly reasonable for their needs, but also plenty of people who don't and would like to spend more money. Both of those positions are fine. Other than that, I did not make any judgement about the quality of these cheap Android phones - again, that is embellishment on your part.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

A new iPhone SE would be in a weird place IMO. If they keep the current iPhone 8 design, the battery life is going to be atrocious, especially when you are using 5G making it a pretty bad purchase. If they adopt the iPhone 11/iPhone XR design to fit a bigger battery it is going to cannibalize iPhone 13 sales since (excluding the pros) there aren't enough added features to make the price difference worth it. I'd like to see this iPhone SE have an iPhone 8 Plus body so that they can fit a proper size battery in it, if they did that the SE would be one of the best value for money phones on the market.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Apologies if the tone of my post made it appear that I was complaining - I really wasn't - but if you have to put phrases that never appear in the thing you are quoting in quotation marks to prove your point, it's a good sign that you are embellishing what the writer is saying too much and assuming they mean something they actually don't. The words "too expensive" do not appear in my post, because I do not actually believe the SE is too expensive for what it is - if your budget is $400 then the iPhone SE is reasonable value for money and by some metrics is better than its Android competitors.

What I do believe, however, is that the iPhone SE isn't really in the right price bracket to be considered as a budget phone, when Android manufacturers are churning out devices for sub $200. I personally know many people who find these perfectly reasonable for their needs, but also plenty of people who don't and would like to spend more money. Both of those positions are fine. Other than that, I did not make any judgement about the quality of these cheap Android phones - again, that is embellishment on your part.

The exact quote from you:

The (current) iPhone SE isn't really cheap by Android standards anyway, with a starting price of $400. Unless the price is vastly reduced it won't be able to compete with budget ranges like the Moto G or some of the Redmi (which still give you a perfectly reasonable phone experience nowadays)...

That sounds like "too expensive" to me without any special lingual gymnastics...

45 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

The exact quote from you:

That sounds like "too expensive" to me without any special lingual gymnastics...

I said it wasn't cheap enough to be considered in the same segment as Moto Gs and Xiaomi Redmis. What I meant by that is people looking at these ultra budget devices are unlikely to be considering SE as an alternative. That doesn't mean the SE is bad, or that it's too expensive for what it is, it just means it isn't the same.

It was a purely factual comparison of the two "ecosystems" and not meant as a criticism of either.

I appreciate that my phrasing might have been unclear, but now I have clarified my position, I see no reason for anyone to keep nitpicking my original post.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

51 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I said it wasn't cheap enough to be considered in the same segment as Moto Gs and Xiaomi Redmis. What I meant by that is people looking at these ultra budget devices are unlikely to be considering SE as an alternative. That doesn't mean the SE is bad, or that it's too expensive for what it is, it just means it isn't the same.

It was a purely factual comparison of the two "ecosystems" and not meant as a criticism of either.

I appreciate that my phrasing might have been unclear, but now I have clarified my position, I see no reason for anyone to keep nitpicking my original post.

Again, by what metric it's "not cheap enough"? SE models always sport the best chipset money can buy. Show me one phone that runs Snapdragon 888 that was 400 $/€ when new? And after that, which of those has 5+2 of software support. Chipset is generally a thing that shows its age the most through time. And so does software support. Camera quality is somewhere in between, but comparing iPhone SE 2020 to Moto G50 and they are about the same. Maybe iPhone is a bit more grainy in low light, but looks so much better in good lighting where Moto just ridiculously oversharpens the image to a point it looks horrible. Lets just factor in that iPhone SE 2020 essentially has same sensor and optics from iPhone 8 (2017) and it's still comparable to Moto G50 that was released in 2021 and has a 48Mpix sensor.

Sure, Moto G50 is around 200€ currently, but its Snapdragon 480 will not age gracefully I can already tell you that, I know Motorola has rather terrible software support and there is no info what storage system it's even using. It'll probably stutter horribly when installing apps like most cheap Android phones.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Again, by what metric it's "not cheap enough"?

It is not cheap enough to be considered in a similar price segment to a Moto G. Not because I am saying it isn't in my opinion - but simply because, from a purely factual perspective, the amounts of money you pay for them are vastly different.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

[snip, lots of stuff about how the camera and chipset is better on an iPhone SE than a Moto G]

I don't dispute any of that. But what does it have to do with this? I am not suggesting that someone who buys an iPhone SE is wrong because they can buy a Moto G for less money - the SE is a higher quality device so if you have the money and want the high end features, knock yourself out.

I am simply saying that someone who has $100-200 to spend on a phone will not be considering the iPhone SE as it's not in their price bracket.

pythonmegapixel

Why should it be? Motorolas of today are generic Chinese crap clinging to famous old brand name. Nothing else. Not that Motorola of the past was spectacular. It was best known for most retarded menus/interface one can imagine before Android was a thing...

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It is not cheap enough to be considered in a similar price segment to a Moto G. Not because I am saying it isn't in my opinion - but simply because, from a purely factual perspective, the amounts of money you pay for them are vastly different.

I don't dispute any of that. But what does it have to do with this? I am not suggesting that someone who buys an iPhone SE is wrong because they can buy a Moto G for less money - the SE is a higher quality device so if you have the money and want the high end features, knock yourself out.

I am simply saying that someone who has $100-200 to spend on a phone will not be considering the iPhone SE as it's not in their price bracket.

To be fair with a phone plan you can get the SE for essentially free so 🤷