Did the AX1200i or HX1200i ever get updated?

rcarlos243

The AX1200i was originally released around 2012 and HX1200i around 2015.

Did those ever get updated?

how do they compare to new high wattage PSU (Antec SP1300)?

I am also interested in Seasonic 1300W, but it looks like it is based on the old design.

EVGA also has a very confusing lineup as they have P+, P2, P3, P5, P6

I used to have a Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium (2016), but it would cause random reboots while gaming and I discovered that the OCP is tripping and is a known issue.

I have upgraded to Antec Signature 1000W Titanium, but I am maxing out the capacity and sometimes it would turn off. My rig has 5600G and 2x16GB 1.4v dual rank b-die and I have 1x 3090, 1x 3080, 2x 3070, 1x 1080. All the RTX is mining on the background and I use the GTX 1080 underclocked and undervolted to 0.7V @ 50PL. for gaming. When I measured with Kill A Watt it is drawing about 950W at the wall while gaming.

My budget is ideally under $400

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

It may be cheaper to just get a low end CPU/mobo/ram kit  and put them in a cardboard box with 2 of your cards ... ex spend $100 on some kit and $100 on a 650w bronze/gold power supply.

It's not just the high wattage, it's also about being aware how much power each outlet can provide or you may trip the fuse in your electrical panel. May be safer to spread the power consumption across two different circuits (different wall sockets)

AX1200i isn't sold anymore so it's irrelevant. AX1600i is current model, Corsair doesn't have any current lower wattage AX-i's.

HX1200i may be 'old' but it still stands today, but it's also kinda overpriced, HX, non-i is basically the same thing without software control, get that instead.

Antec Signature is literally the same thing as Seasonic Prime, which has shutdown issues with Ampere GPUs even in current revision, but it's not OCP unless you indeed max-out it's power delivery capabilities like in your case probably. You know if it's OCP if after the PSU shuts down you can start the PC right back only after resetting the PSU by flicking it's power switch off and on, if you can start it right back without doing so - it's not PSU protection.

EVGA P2 is still good, older Super Flower platform. P6 is fine but not worth it over G6 which is the same thing but 80+ Gold (which is a good pick when you need a sub 1kW PSU). There are absolutely no reviews on P+, P3 or P5 so that's an automatic skip.

Generally, trying to chase efficiency badge is pointless, the overall quality and performance don't necessarily go along with efficiency. But if you need a high wattage PSU, Corsair HX is basically the go-to choice today, unless EVGA P2 or Super Flower Leadex Platinum are noticeably cheaper.

Edit: Also, i assume since that's an open air rig anyway judging by the amount of GPUs you have, it might be easier to just get a second lower wattage PSU, be sure to get one with 16AWG PCIe cables tho since that's a mining rig, and that pretty much limits your choice to Corsair RM/RMx/HX, EVGA G6 850/1000 (sub 850W are 18AWG) or some Thermaltakes (which aren't really worth it price wise over RMx anyway, except maybe for GF1 if it's cheaper). Most of the rest you'll see, including all Seasonics and the rest of EVGA is 18AWG. Super Flower even uses 20/22AWG in PCie after first connector with Leadex III and V, saving like a buck in total, WTF ...

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

XPG Core Reactor also has 16AWG on the main PCIe cable (main connector) on all of the wattage models. And they're usually very competitively priced.

16 hours ago, mariushm said:

It may be cheaper to just get a low end CPU/mobo/ram kit  and put them in a cardboard box with 2 of your cards ... ex spend $100 on some kit and $100 on a 650w bronze/gold power supply.

It's not just the high wattage, it's also about being aware how much power each outlet can provide or you may trip the fuse in your electrical panel. May be safer to spread the power consumption across two different circuits (different wall sockets)

I am not looking into splitting the build or using multiple PSU.

splitting the power across different circuits is also not an option

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

16 hours ago, Juular said:

AX1200i isn't sold anymore so it's irrelevant. AX1600i is current model, Corsair doesn't have any current lower wattage AX-i's.

HX1200i may be 'old' but it still stands today, but it's also kinda overpriced, HX, non-i is basically the same thing without software control, get that instead.

Antec Signature is literally the same thing as Seasonic Prime, which has shutdown issues with Ampere GPUs even in current revision, but it's not OCP unless you indeed max-out it's power delivery capabilities like in your case probably. You know if it's OCP if after the PSU shuts down you can start the PC right back only after resetting the PSU by flicking it's power switch off and on, if you can start it right back without doing so - it's not PSU protection.

EVGA P2 is still good, older Super Flower platform. P6 is fine but not worth it over G6 which is the same thing but 80+ Gold (which is a good pick when you need a sub 1kW PSU). There are absolutely no reviews on P+, P3 or P5 so that's an automatic skip.

Generally, trying to chase efficiency badge is pointless, the overall quality and performance don't necessarily go along with efficiency. But if you need a high wattage PSU, Corsair HX is basically the go-to choice today, unless EVGA P2 or Super Flower Leadex Platinum are noticeably cheaper.

Edit: Also, i assume since that's an open air rig anyway judging by the amount of GPUs you have, it might be easier to just get a second lower wattage PSU, be sure to get one with 16AWG PCIe cables tho since that's a mining rig, and that pretty much limits your choice to Corsair RM/RMx/HX, EVGA G6 850/1000 (sub 850W are 18AWG) or some Thermaltakes (which aren't really worth it price wise over RMx anyway, except maybe for GF1 if it's cheaper). Most of the rest you'll see, including all Seasonics and the rest of EVGA is 18AWG. Super Flower even uses 20/22AWG in PCie after first connector with Leadex III and V, saving like a buck in total, WTF ...

Has it actually been confirmed that even the Antec Signature shuts down due to Ampere?

I have read more about this issue and it looks like the issue is actually not due to spike in transient load from GPU, but rather from the noisy 12v line on the GPU feeding back into the PSU which freaks out the PSU. It seems NVIDIA has very poor (noisy) power delivery which causes issue for sensitive PSUs.

It looks like the HX1200W has been updated in 2017 and I found a good deal as open-box for $167 + tax. I am probably going with this one.

I like to get the most efficient PSU I can get as the more efficient it is, the less energy is wasted as heat.

My Antec Signature 1000W Titanium is pretty much maxxed out according to Kill A Watt and it gets quite hot. I also added a 140MM fan into it.

4 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

Has it actually been confirmed that even the Antec Signature shuts down due to Ampere?

It wasn't, because there's a very limited amounts of users with it. But it's a stock Seasonic Prime PX/TX so it's not unreasonable to expect it to perform exactly the same, including the flaws it has.

I have read more about this issue and it looks like the issue is actually not due to spike in transient load from GPU, but rather from the noisy 12v line on the GPU feeding back into the PSU which freaks out the PSU. It seems NVIDIA has very poor (noisy) power delivery which causes issue for sensitive PSUs.

Correct, it's not OCP as most people think. It's a design oversight by Seasonic triggered by too aggressive boosting algorithm of nVidia Ampere. But you can expect next generation GPUs to be even more aggressive so at this point it's a given.

It looks like the HX1200W has been updated in 2017

It was released in 2017, sill pretty much the same design as HX-i from 2013. But it still stands by this time.

I like to get the most efficient PSU I can get as the more efficient it is, the less energy is wasted as heat.

My Antec Signature 1000W Titanium is pretty much maxxed out according to Kill A Watt and it gets quite hot. I also added a 140MM fan into it.

As long as the PSU was designed properly, that is, the fan curve is configured with all kinds of usage scenarios in mind to not put the PSU under the risk of failing, then that doesn't matter. And you can be assured that it was in the case of Corsair HX, which is also as quiet as Prime TX despite being less efficient because it uses better components. Corsair HX Platinum is better than Seasonic Prime TX / Antec Signature Titanium / Corsair AX in pretty much all metrics except for efficiency. There are basically only two four 80+ Titanium PSUs worth looking at over it, be quiet! Dark Power 12 Pro (not the non-Pro), and Corsair AX1600i, both of which are quite a bit more expensive, and also EVGA T2 or Super Flower Leadex Titanium, which usually aren't any cheaper either.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:17 PM, Juular said:

It wasn't, because there's a very limited amounts of users with it. But it's a stock Seasonic Prime PX/TX so it's not unreasonable to expect it to perform exactly the same, including the flaws it has.

Correct, it's not OCP as most people think. It's a design oversight by Seasonic triggered by too aggressive boosting algorithm of nVidia Ampere. But you can expect next generation GPUs to be even more aggressive so at this point it's a given.

It was released in 2017, sill pretty much the same design as HX-i from 2013. But it still stands by this time.

As long as the PSU was designed properly, that is, the fan curve is configured with all kinds of usage scenarios in mind to not put the PSU under the risk of failing, then that doesn't matter. And you can be assured that it was in the case of Corsair HX, which is also as quiet as Prime TX despite being less efficient because it uses better components. Corsair HX Platinum is better than Seasonic Prime TX / Antec Signature Titanium / Corsair AX in pretty much all metrics except for efficiency. There are basically only two four 80+ Titanium PSUs worth looking at over it, be quiet! Dark Power 12 Pro (not the non-Pro), and Corsair AX1600i, both of which are quite a bit more expensive, and also EVGA T2 or Super Flower Leadex Titanium, which usually aren't any cheaper either.

I just realized the HX1200 only has 8 PCIe connectors which is less than ideal.

I have the following

-EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 (3x 8PIN PCIe + 1x 6PIN PCIe for the USB Riser). undervolted and draws 294w mining

-EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 (3x 8PIN PCIe + 1x 6PIN PCIe for the USB Riser). undervolted and draws 216w mining

-EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 (2x 8PIN PCIe + 1x 6PIN PCIe for the USB Riser). undervolted and draws 117w mining

-PNY RTX 3070 Dual Fan (2x 8PIN PCIe slotted to directly to MoBo. undervolted and draws 132w mining

-Dell GTX 1080 OEM Blower (1x 8PIN PCIe slotted directly to Mobo. gaming GPU undervolted 0.7V @ 1600MHz core and draws less than 80w while gaming

With my current Antec PSU, I bought an 8PIN PCIe to Dual 8PIN PCIe splitter and split the cables that only have 1 8PIN PCIe connector directly form the PSU.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002583725289.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.4f1d4c4dE6SaOo

The splitter works, but I noticed one of the 8 PIN splitter connected to the RTX 3090 gets hot at the connecting point between on the 8PIN PCIe cable.

I am thinking of cancelling the HX1200 order that I got for $170 and getting an AX1600i for $470, but I am not sure if more than twice the price difference is a good idea.

I also have an old Seasonic 760W Platinum (SS-760XP2), but it had issues on newer builds. I got the Seasonic 760W originally for my Sandy Bridge build and it works perfectly until my Haswell build. The computer would crash when on idle even when not overclocking and completely stock BIOS. The computer would also have trouble turning on from cold boot (it would turn on for 1 sec then turn off) and I had to do it multiple times and then it would work.

I didn't realize what the PSU was the problem until my Kabe Lake build when I temporary changed the PSU to Coolermaster V650 the problem went away.

I did some research and discovered Intel introduced new C-states for Haswell which might have explain why I am having those issues.

https://pcper.com/2013/05/possible-power-supply-issues-for-intel-haswell-cpus/

I am worried that getting an old design PSU will have some compatibility issues for newer build.

11 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

but I am not sure if more than twice the price difference is a good idea.

If that means the difference between the cables/adapters/splitters melting or not, then it is.

You have a shitton of GPUs, why not just get a second PSU ?

19 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

I just realized the HX1200 only has 8 PCIe connectors which is less than ideal.
[snip]
I am thinking of cancelling the HX1200 order that I got for $170 and getting an AX1600i for $470, but I am not sure if more than twice the price difference is a good idea.

The AX1600i has 10 ports on the PSU for PCIe/CPU cables. You need one for the CPU which leaves 9 for PCIe cables, which if using the 2x6+2pin cables would give you up to 18 6+2 PCIe connectors total. You would need to buy additional type 4 PCIe cables but they're only about $5 each.

Alternatively as Juular and Mariusm suggested just have dual PSUs or two separate systems.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

If that means the difference between the cables/adapters/splitters melting or not, then it is.

You have a shitton of GPUs, why not just get a second PSU ?

It gets quite hot to the touch, but I don't think it is hot near enough to melt the plastic and stuff.

I did consider connecting/getting a 2nd PSU, but opted not to.

I have very limited space, and it is less power efficient.

I have a spare Seasonic Prime Ultra 750w (manufactured in 2020), Thermaltake 650W GF1 that I could potentially use.

I am also concerned about what might happen to the GPU's If I restart the computer (normally on a single PSU it would cut out the power momentarily to the GPU's when rebooting).

I can also buy a 2nd Antec Signature 1k PSU and connect it to my existing Antec PSU through the OC link cable which would solve the concern I have above, but since it is a Seasonic PSU it might have the same issue about Ampere GPUs and the cost of 2x Antec PSU is about the same for 1x AX1600i

Electricity cost at my area is very expensive.

It costs 45cents kWh (PGE above baseline) on summer and 35cents kWh on Winter.