What could be an upgrade for an HD 5850 for about $100?

khazad

It's for my uncle, he lives in Brazil and he told me that his computer didn't turn on so he video called me to show me what was happening, he pressed the power button and the fans started spinning for a second and then turned off again and made a beep sound, i told him that it could be the ram and he told me that he'll call a guy to check on it, the guy told him that it's the GPU that's dead and sent him two pictures from the back side which it was impossible to know if it was dead or not, and he told him that he was gonna change it for one that he was using which is a Radeon X1950 from 2006 lol so i thought that this guy might want to nick my uncle's GPU.

I looked up the prices on the local marketplace and everything is way overpriced, a normal 1050 is at $215, and he told me that that is was too much for him.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

Brazil, no idea. You'll have to ask what his budget is then hunt for him. In the US, you could get a GTX 750 Ti for that price, might be able to find a GTX 960 around that price. The 960 and the 1050 Ti are basically equivalent in terms of performance.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

13 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Brazil, no idea. You'll have to ask what his budget is then hunt for him. In the US, you could get a GTX 750 Ti for that price, might be able to find a GTX 960 around that price. The 960 and the 1050 Ti are basically equivalent in terms of performance.

I've found a 1030 for about $80, is it better than a 750 Ti? The only 750 Ti that i could find is at $115, he mainly works with music with an old software called Encore and Cool Edit Pro and he also does some very light video editing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

3 hours ago, khazad said:

I've found a 1030 for about $80, is it better than a 750 Ti? The only 750 Ti that i could find is at $115, he mainly works with music with an old software called Encore and Cool Edit Pro and he also does some very light video editing.

Check which 1030 it is. The 750 Ti has more power to it, but I’d pay $80 for the 1030 instead IF AND ONLY IF it’s the GDDR5 variant. If it’s the DDR4 version of the 1030, run away and buy the 750 Ti.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Check which 1030 it is. The 750 Ti has more power to it, but I’d pay $80 for the 1030 instead IF AND ONLY IF it’s the GDDR5 variant. If it’s the DDR4 version of the 1030, run away and buy the 750 Ti.

Doesn't some of 1030 w/ GDDR5 come with 3GB? IIRC only the 4GB versions use DDR4.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Doesn't some of 1030 w/ GDDR5 come with 3GB? IIRC only the 4GB versions use DDR4.

As far as I know, all GT 1030s are 2GB cards

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

As far as I know, all GT 1030s are 2GB cards

I recall hearing about the GT 1030 w/ 3GB VRAM. Nvidia only did this due to Netflix DRM requiring more 2GB for Nvidia dGPUs. The reason for 4GB DD4.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:50 PM, aisle9 said:

Turns out that the GPU still works fine, so yeah the guy wanted to steal it lol, and the problem was the ram and maybe too much dust and something got overheated.