Over Ear Headphone Recommendations

Recently I have been looking into getting a set of over ear headphones to improve my computer using experience. I currently am using the free earbuds that come with iPhones from 5 years ago. I have a variety of uses including listening to music, streaming video and gaming. Are there any headphones that would be appropriate for these uses and be a noticeable upgrade over what I am currently using?

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Depends on budget

What could I get for ~$70-120?

Do you want just headphones, or a headset (headphones + mic)? If the latter, how much do you care about audio quality? Or do you plan on using a modmic or another external mic solution?

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Could try something like K361's, SHP9500s/SHP9600s

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

47 minutes ago, maremp said:

Do you want just headphones, or a headset (headphones + mic)? If the latter, how much do you care about audio quality? Or do you plan on using a modmic or another external mic solution?

I am just interested in headphones. I already have a microphone. Audio quality is important to me, however so is comfort.

From personal experience I can say that shp 9500 really doesn't like onboard audio but perhaps you could get used to the treble, 9600 is supposed to fix the treble problems so that would be my first choice but second hand knowledge.  AKG k361 would be an excellent choice as well, I have the k361 BT version which up's the price but side steps onboard audio issues and is slightly tuned for the headphones, but the non-BT version would be an excellent choice, great bass and all around competent for the price.  Excellent build quality on these as well.  I would highly recommend some ear pads though as stock are shallow and narrow, was fine for a while but I had to upgrade to these WC Wicked Cushions which were selected by browsing amazon and looking at pictures for thick pads, no other criteria and so far, I'm rather pleased, very plush.  If you don't care so much about bass and sub bass I can recommend the K240 studio, again good build quality but in a light flexible way.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

If you're up for it, get 2nd hand Sennheiser Momentum over-ear 2.0 (wired), I've seen prices around 50-100€ and then you can get replacement pads from ebay for 10€ and they're like new.
Great sound balance out of the box, you can plug them into any device and it will work.
I bought them new over 5 years ago. The pads wore out and I've replaced them last year and I could pass the headphones as new.

I did not find any new models for wired on amazon, seems like they're pushing the wireless and those are way out of budget.

18 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Sennheiser 280X is what I have been using, it's a fantastic set of studio monitors. They have both a quarter inch jack and a 3.5 millimeter jack.

Sennheiser HD659's.  A little bit higher at $149, but you will be hard pressed to find better closed-back cans for even double the price.

18 minutes ago, IPD said:

Sennheiser HD659's.  A little bit higher at $149, but you will be hard pressed to find better closed-back cans for even double the price.

I can think of a few for not that much more, the same price and few for a bit less money tbh. 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

I can think of a few for not that much more, the same price and few for a bit less money tbh. 

Then post up.  My experience with virtually every Sennheiser product is an unparalleled soundstage, and lightweight comfort that doesn't get tiresome to wear nearly as quickly as most other brands.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Then post up.  My experience with virtually every Sennheiser product is an unparalleled soundstage, and lightweight comfort that doesn't get tiresome to wear nearly as quickly as most other brands.

I'm waiting for OP's preferences. But a list of thing so personally believe is better is the 6xx, 560s, 880 600 ohm ,tyger, Fidelio x2hr, he400i, akg k371 ,361 just to list off a few all within the same price range. But of course preference is important. 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, rice guru said:

What kind of music do you listen to? 

Quite a variety of music, but a lot of classical

On 2/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, rice guru said:

I'm waiting for OP's preferences. But a list of thing so personally believe is better is the 6xx, 560s, 880 600 ohm ,tyger, Fidelio x2hr, he400i, akg k371 ,361 just to list off a few all within the same price range. But of course preference is important. 

Is there a way to compare them for myself, or see which one I prefer?

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Is there a way to compare them for myself, or see which one I prefer?

Aside from local music stores or a audiophile that happens to have a huge collection. Probably no. For you budget and preferences I think the akg k361 is the best in your budget imo  for classical