Is it worth joining GDSC for someone who is not into programming that much or at all ?

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

I know it's not your primary passion, but there's still a lot of value in knowing at least a little about programming for your choice of careers. Software is often the glue for a lot of electronics projects, and if you know a bit of code, you can wire things up yourself in prototyping stages instead of having to rely on others to take what you've engineered and actually make it work.

That's a long way of saying, go ahead and attend. If you get nothing from it, you don't have to do it again, but it never hurts to broaden your horizons.

I got into Engineering school last year (nice dad joke, college started like on 27th december so still in first semester) and I am an Electronics Engineering major and I am not that much into programming. I mean I have done some coding in the past while making some mods and custom maps for a few games I used to play but other than that I don't really like the idea of doing a coding related job, firstly since I like the actual computer hardware more i.e. I am more interested in how the processor actually works, how a processor is made, how a gpu works etc. hence my major.

Two days from the time of writing this post is the orientation ceremony/seminar for the Google Developer Student Club at my college, should I attend it ? (Its gonna be online since the pandemic is still pretty wild in my country) The Whatsapp message that informed us all of the orientation said "As u can see its written its compulsory hence its compulsory". Also the notice had a kinda ad from GDSC and it had the following lines "Not a developer? You're at the right place!" That is just witty advertising right ?

I don't wanna sound patronizing or think of myself as superior but here is how I see it : GDSC is a bunch of people into coding and programming (stuff like competitive programming, hackathons etc.) but that is exactly what I am *not* into. So what would I get from attending there seminars or joining their club ?

what harm to attend the meeting and learn a little bit if its something you want to do or try? If not, you wasted only an hour or 2 at most. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I know it's not your primary passion, but there's still a lot of value in knowing at least a little about programming for your choice of careers. Software is often the glue for a lot of electronics projects, and if you know a bit of code, you can wire things up yourself in prototyping stages instead of having to rely on others to take what you've engineered and actually make it work.

That's a long way of saying, go ahead and attend. If you get nothing from it, you don't have to do it again, but it never hurts to broaden your horizons.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Software and hardware developers are also somewhat interconnected fields, there is a lot of shared knowledge between them. Never shy away from an opportunity to learn and to also network. Networking with people is huge, it can be the difference between a long job hunt and a very short one.

I agree with the others and say just go, 2hrs of your life isn't much to give up for something that will probably reward you in the future.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz