Help! MSI B550M Pro incompatible bios

Bhawkins007
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

B550 needed a BIOS update at launch to support Ryzen 5000. These days its rare to get one that hasn't been updated though I suppose its still possible if its a less popular board that might have been sitting in a warehouse for a while. Either do the loaner program @RONOTHAN##mentioned, buy and return a cheap Ryzen 3000 or take it to a local PC shop and ask if they'd be willing to to use a compatible CPU of theirs to update the BIOS. 

Morale of the story is buying a B550 board with CPU-less USB BIOS flashing was a good idea. That board being on the lower end does not have that feature.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600g

Motherboard: MSI B550M Pro

Ram: G.SKILL 2x8 Ripjaw

GPU: None

I’m not new to pc building but I’ve never had an issue like this before. I bought the parts for this machine new today and tried to power it on for the first time. The EZ DEBUG led instantly lit up for cpu and I had no video output. I proceeded to spend the next couple hours reseating the cpu, unplugging and plugging things in various orders, and powering on with only one ram stick in the second slot. Still no video is displayed. 

After doing a lot of digging online I’ve seen a lot saying that it has to do with the motherboard having a bios that doesn’t support the 5600g. I then tried looking for ways to flash the new bios to my motherboard without a cpu with no success. To my knowledge my motherboard does not support flashing without a cpu. PLEASE HELP ME! I’m a student without a computer. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

AMD has a loaner CPU program for you to be able to update the BIOS of that board. It's not optimal, but outside of going out and buying a 3100 to update the BIOS it's your best option. Either that or return the board and get one with BIOS Flashback like the B550M Pro-VDH.

B550 needed a BIOS update at launch to support Ryzen 5000. These days its rare to get one that hasn't been updated though I suppose its still possible if its a less popular board that might have been sitting in a warehouse for a while. Either do the loaner program @RONOTHAN##mentioned, buy and return a cheap Ryzen 3000 or take it to a local PC shop and ask if they'd be willing to to use a compatible CPU of theirs to update the BIOS. 

Morale of the story is buying a B550 board with CPU-less USB BIOS flashing was a good idea. That board being on the lower end does not have that feature.