This Cheap CPU is REALLY Expensive!

CPotter
12 hours ago, Rauten said:

Okay, uuhh... how come apparently noone else caught this?

At exactly 10:00, Linus is talking about how you can get the entire AMD wombo-combo for ~200$ "... and, since you're getting a B450 board..." - in fact, the whole "B450, so you have an upgrade path!" thing is mentioned multiple times.

But the picture clearly shows that the 200$ combo comes with an A320.

And your affiliiate links at the bottom are also for A320.

Feels kinda bait & switch-y to me...

While you're entirely correct, at least where I am the sole available A320 board is only ~$10-20 cheaper than a low-end B450 board - probably less if you go second hand. As such I think the point they're making is still sound.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Darn, going from an OK title "This Cheap CPU is REALLY Expensive!" to a really silly one "How is this even possible?". That's the opposite of the promised switch to more sensible titles one the video has it's initial surge.

I wanted to watch it and wouldn't have found it, if forum didn't keep the better title.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

4ghz oc is very weak for those cpus

X58 xeons tend to do ~4.5ghz with most decent boards with some decent ram, and since its unlocked you dont need good ram to oc it

same goes for the i5 2500k with an avg of ~4.6 from what ive read on some old forums

Im guessing the very weak oc is just to accomodate all users that may have garbage hardware like an oem machine with an oem board with the only way to oc being throttlestop multiplier overclocking, its pretty accurate actually for garbage hardware since ive only seen ppl do 4ghz with an unlocked xeon on an old workstation board like those hp x58 workstations

Though its interesting that the 4770k demolishes the xeon considering its only got 4 cores

Well unless i can get x58 for dirt cheap then i think ill go the x79 route now considering that those ultra cheap chinese boards are bios moddable and a simple cpu pad mod should increase the voltage, not to mention avx support and far more efficient ivy cpus that dont chug power like theres no tommorow

Thanks in advance for potentially saving me from a garbage platform choice assuming i go x79 or just skip x58/x79 entirely and go x299 with an es 7900x that are going for 100$ on ebay for whatever reason

Doing ballpark numbers - the 4770 vs Nehalem CPUs

Nehalem -> SB -> IB -> HSW had IPC bumps (more accurately perf/clock) of around [1.2, 1.07, 1.07] which works out to around 1.28. Then there's something like 10-20% better clock speed so... yeah, similarish MT performance and markedly better ST performance vs Nehalem.

I suspect that some of it was just that nehalem was an overall older architecture (essentially a Pentium Pro on STEROIDS with an IMC bolted on and a faster bus) whereas everything Sandy Bridge onward was a newer, better design overall.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

• 1 month later...

So yesterday Tech Yes City posted a video in which he claims to debunk the benchmarks.

But he tests x5670, we don't know if the settings are the same etc. I know some people were claiming higher FPS in their testing in comments and in here, but so far this is the only piece showing anything.