how Project Ara is reinventing the smartphone

Xsilent(X)

Not sure if this was posted before went 6 pages back did not find anything Date seems from Yesterday 16/04/2014

project-ara-theverge-8_1020.jpg

The Verge

In a spare, drab office park in Sunnyvale, California, a bunch of two-by-fours and foamboard have been nailed together into a makeshift model of a shipping container. Inside, a bare, unlit Edison bulb hangs from a wire, over some simple IKEA furniture and a table with Lego blocks on it. The blocks are stand-ins for modules that might someday go into the Project Ara phone, which in theory will let users swap in different components on the fly instead of replacing the whole phone when it's time to upgrade.

The model is there because the people behind Project Ara are currently trying to think through potential retail experiences that would help people configure their phones. Not included inside the model are the non-invasive biometric monitoring tablets that measure galvanic skin response as a trigger to present the simplified configurator experience the team is looking into. Such technical jargon is par for the course inside Google's Advanced Technologies and Products (ATAP) group, which is in charge of Project Ara. As near as I can tell (without an engineering degree, at least), the only person in the room who needs such terms explained is me.

The model is there because the people behind Project Ara are currently trying to think through potential retail experiences that would help people configure their phones. Not included inside the model are the non-invasive biometric monitoring tablets that measure galvanic skin response as a trigger to present the simplified configurator experience the team is looking into. Such technical jargon is par for the course inside Google's Advanced Technologies and Products (ATAP) group, which is in charge of Project Ara. As near as I can tell (without an engineering degree, at least), the only person in the room who needs such terms explained is me.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/15/5615880/building-blocks-how-project-ara-is-reinventing-the-smartphone

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Not sure if its a repost because its been mentioned in multiple threads, but nice to see some pictures and more details.  ;)

linux 3.7 promises all ARM processors would work under a single kernel when that times comes this will be great

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think this phone is a great idea. If only if it were a Google company, not a Lenovo company.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D