How bad is it to store an Intel mobo without socket cover?

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

All it really needs is mechanical protection. As long as nothing falls on it and bends the pins, it will be fine.

If you're really worried, cut out a little piece of cardboard and tape it on top of the hold-down clamp, or get a plastic socket cover off eBay for a couple bucks.

I have a spare motherboard in storage like this for an older chipset(Skylake 6th gen). I just realized I don't have a socket cover on it. It's in a box and the box is in a bin I don't touch or move around. Just wondering how bad this is, assuming the pins are not bent and these is no physical damage, could this break the mobo? Could tiny particles of dust slowly getting into the socket brick it, even though the mobo is in antistatic bag, in a box, and the box is in a bin. 

I mean, it's probably fine, dust and human error is your what's likely to cause error, and the socket cover just prevents both of those things from happening. I'd cut a piece of paper to fit into the socket, that way you don't have to worry about dust, just make sure you don't do anything to the socket. 

All it really needs is mechanical protection. As long as nothing falls on it and bends the pins, it will be fine.

If you're really worried, cut out a little piece of cardboard and tape it on top of the hold-down clamp, or get a plastic socket cover off eBay for a couple bucks.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Put a piece of tape over the metal clamp to keep crud out of the pins - I usually use kapton tape for this, since it seems to leave less residue than other types.