SATA 4 upgrade soon?

Morgana
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's not gonna happen.

There was that SATA Express that Intel promoted (sata/pci-e mix) but didn't really catch on. Now they're doing U.2 which has 4 pci-e lanes and also includes 12v to power the drives : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.2

Personally I'd like to see them decide on just ONE pci-e lane per device. giving you 985 MB/s for pci-e 3.0 or 1800 MB/s for pci-e 4.0 , overkill for mechanical drives. 

Would make it easy for multiple manufacturers to produce pci-e switches and bring the prices down .. ex have the budget boards use 1 pci-e 4.0 in,  8 pci-e 2.0 x1 lanes out ... you have 8 drives connected at max 500 MB/s ...  or pci-e 4.0 x4 -> 8 pci-e 3.0 x1

have the drives put a controller on them to talk through pci-e instead of sata... not expensive when you sell millions of mechanical drives.

We have upgraded to Nvme gen 4 as recently as 1 year ago with Intel cpus and chipsets, so why hasn't anybody talked about upgrading the sata ports on the motherboard to a new "sata 4" version?

6 minutes ago, Morgana said:

We have upgraded to Nvme gen 4 as recently as 1 year ago with Intel cpus and chipsets, so why hasn't anybody talked about upgrading the sata ports on the motherboard to a new "sata 4" version?

Because it isn't needed. NVME/PCI-e took over for SSD's and HDD's don't come close to saturating current SATA speeds.

It's not gonna happen.

There was that SATA Express that Intel promoted (sata/pci-e mix) but didn't really catch on. Now they're doing U.2 which has 4 pci-e lanes and also includes 12v to power the drives : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.2

Personally I'd like to see them decide on just ONE pci-e lane per device. giving you 985 MB/s for pci-e 3.0 or 1800 MB/s for pci-e 4.0 , overkill for mechanical drives. 

Would make it easy for multiple manufacturers to produce pci-e switches and bring the prices down .. ex have the budget boards use 1 pci-e 4.0 in,  8 pci-e 2.0 x1 lanes out ... you have 8 drives connected at max 500 MB/s ...  or pci-e 4.0 x4 -> 8 pci-e 3.0 x1

have the drives put a controller on them to talk through pci-e instead of sata... not expensive when you sell millions of mechanical drives.

There is no SATA version 4 that i know of, there is some revision to the 3rd version but it is minor according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Nah probably dead though. Really in enterprise is where I see HDDs being used from now on mostly. Also there's SAS that's being used there too. In mainstream I can see it kept for a while like older USB but yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Also, iirc, HDDs are also probably going to move over to NVMe 2.0

if they ever manage to reach the 3gb/s max of sata 3

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Well, it wouldn't be far fetched for a hard drive manufacturer to add 256-512 GB of memory as a write cache , in front of a 24+ TB mechanical drive... and then it would be justified to have gigabytes / second write speeds for short bursts of writes, and then fall down to mechanical drive speeds which are in the 260..100 MB/s speeds ... funny enough fairly close to QLC speeds which are at around 350 MB/s at the lowest, even some TLC drives have speeds in the 300 MB/s after the SLC cache is filled.

WD has already started using flash memory to move all the information that's not actual user data from the platters, in order to store user data more densely. We're talking about format information, platter health information, what bad sectors are present from factory and masked/hidden from user and so on

See : Western Digital Reimagines HDD - Flash Integration with OptiNAND

It wouldn't surprise me if they expand that and add more flash memory for read/write caches, especially if they choose to go with shingled recording which is slow at writes.

The new NVME spec allows NVME hard drives no use updating SATA.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator