Is the new RX 6500 XT a worthy upgrade from a hd 5870 1gb

Hi, new here so be gentle :), so to cut a long story short, I'm not a hardcore gamer no more and haven't long got back into desktop gaming as I fell out with my old fx4350 build (very power hungry) and brought a ps4 about 3 years ago. 
With hindsight I wish I'ld just spent that money on a gfx card 😛
The only games I play now days are Total war games and football manager tbh, having played since shogun 1 and championship manager on amiga 🥰 also abit of xcom 2 which i could play all on my laptop 🙂

Anyways I decided to build a new pc couple of months ago, brought a 4790k/ asus z97-k and 4 x 4 vengence ram off ebay for £123, slapped it in a cit sauron case, added an old cpu cooler I have (frio twin 120mm fans (clp0564)), previous psu evga 550w, brought a new mx500 250 gb ssd for £30 then cloned my laptops mx500 500gb ssd (cost £64 new last year) (excellent drives btw 🙂 read writes upto 540 mbs)
I said ild make it short :), so heres my problem :P, i still have my trusty hd 5870, now I absolute adore this card, has the custom artic accelro twin fan cooler and runs at max 60c underload with max over clock with after burner (900mhz core clock, 1300mhz memory clock)(the vram modules still performing great, easy way to tell if gfx card memory failing is if its unstable when overclocked 🙂 ) , Its a pcie 2.1 x16 card with a memory bandwidth of 153.6 GB/s and I paid £46 for it off ebay about 9 years ago 🥰
Now heres my question 😛 , Ive looked into many reviews of many gfx cards and this rx6500 xt card (being as its new and not a risk on 2nd hand market) I know its limited to 4 pci lanes but with its lower power and 4 gb of faster memory and core clocks do you think the rx 6500 xt would this be a viable/ decent upgrade for my system in current over inflated gfx prices times?
Thanks!

Nah, for the realistic price of you can get a 6gb 1060 off of eBay which will outperform it. I wouldn’t bother with the 6500 XT, it’s just not an economical choice when cards a few generations older even at inflated gpu prices are better value.

Doesn't the RX 6500 XT have 4GB of Graphics RAM? When is the last time any current dGPU been sold with 1GB of RAM?

Just now, whm1974 said:

Doesn't the RX 6500 XT have 4GB of Graphics RAM? When is the last time any current dGPU been sold with 1GB of RAM?

The 5870, which he is upgrading from is 1gb. He is asking to buy the 4gb 6500XT. 

Even for your use case, the 6500xt would not be a recommended card. Its a card that should never have existed in its current form. Lack of Hardware encode/decoders, 64bit 4gb VRAM, x4 4.0 PCIE lanes which will affect its performance even further on a Gen 3 board like you have. Just a massive waste of silicon and not worth the $275-$300 price point its found at so far. Its a $100-$150 at best in its current form. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Another reason for my asking was because you don't know how well a 2nd hand card has been treated so in my thinking it might be better to get a new budget rather than something like a 1080 ti?

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Even for your use case, the 6500xt would not be a recommended card. Its a card that should never have existed in its current form. Lack of Hardware encode/decoders, 64bit 4gb VRAM, x4 4.0 PCIE lanes which will affect its performance even further on a Gen 3 board like you have. Just a massive waste of silicon and not worth the $275-$300 price point its found at so far. Its a $100-$150 at best in its current form. 

Is it that bad ffs LOOOOOOOOOOL

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The 5870, which he is upgrading from is 1gb. He is asking to buy the 4gb 6500XT. 

I know what card the OP is looking at.

4 minutes ago, Biggy styles said:

2009 my card was made

How did you Surviced this long with a dGPU that old?

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Why oh why did AMD even bothered for?

If you can get it at launch price of $200 it's not bad, but one step.more to $250 you'll find older cards (say 1060 3GB, RX 570 4GB) giving the same if not more performance, more features at a lower price. All because you dont have PCIe 4.0 mothetboard and CPU.

Sure used cards today will have more wear than in previous years, but if the card doesnt look really dirty it should still last for a few years. There's a difference between frequently used and abused.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Biggy styles said:

Another reason for my asking was because you don't know how well a 2nd hand card has been treated so in my thinking it might be better to get a new budget rather than something like a 1080 ti?

The GTX 1050 Ti will still be a better dGPU then the you are asking about.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

The HD 5870 holds up OK in new games actually. It gets close to RX 550/560 levels in less VRAM heavy titles but def time for an upgrade since last driver was from 2016. 

14 minutes ago, Biggy styles said:

would this be a viable/ decent upgrade for my system in current over inflated gfx prices times?

hard answer, no. 4 lanes at pci-e gen3 is closer to many integrated graphics than cards anywhere near the same price.

took a quick look around ebay for between $200-350 which will be the release price range of these cards from AIBs. on the high side you are looking at 1070 and zotac 1080's, low side 1050ti's so there's many other options with better performance and not many with less performance when accounting for the 4 pcie lane issue.

it's a tough call with regards to new vs used but for any system I would build it's a no brainer for me to go 10 series,

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

££££££££ thats why man, they just trying to captilise on current market, I didnt think it was a worthy upgrade but I did want opinions on stuff im out of touch on now days.
Thanks for your input :), So would a 1650 super be a good option?
Im pretty sure 2nd hand market be plummiting in next 6 months (got my fingers crossed, you got your fingers crossed freddy?) lol freddy got fingered tom green 🙂

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

The GTX 1050 Ti will still be a better dGPU then the you are asking about.

Thanks man, been doing alot of research, ive lasted this long on my card i can wait a bit longer 😛

11 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The HD 5870 holds up OK in new games actually. It gets close to RX 550/560 levels in less VRAM heavy titles but def time for an upgrade since last driver was from 2016. 

Yeah its a solid card mate if you aint pixel greedy 🙂

WOW are you kidding me 😮 , I adore my card which is why i never upgraded, it does everything i ever needed and for 46 of the finest english pounds it was an absolute steal, I should have upgraded but oh well. Ill swap you for a 4850 😛
What clock speeds you getting? Mmmmmmm 😛

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I actually own an engineering sample 5870, did some performance tests recently. Incredible overclocker... much better than I anticipated. 

Oh please 1080P gaming wasn't even a thing back then...

18 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

hard answer, no. 4 lanes at pci-e gen3 is closer to many integrated graphics than cards anywhere near the same price.

took a quick look around ebay for between $200-350 which will be the release price range of these cards from AIBs. on the high side you are looking at 1070 and zotac 1080's, low side 1050ti's so there's many other options with better performance and not many with less performance when accounting for the 4 pcie lane issue.

it's a tough call with regards to new vs used but for any system I would build it's a no brainer for me to go 10 series,

Thanks, I did think the 10 series was best best, not keen on rx because so many failure on solder joints.
I didn't know how much of an issue the limited 4 lanes would be, it seems strange why they would try something like this when the targeted market is people with older pcie3 boards, just doesn't make sense

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Oh please 1080P gaming wasn't even a thing back then...

It actually wasn't 😛

Just now, Biggy styles said:

Thanks, I did think the 10 series was best best, not keen on rx because so many failure on solder joints.
I didn't know how much of an issue the limited 4 lanes would be, it seems strange why they would try something like this when the targeted market is people with older pcie3 boards, just doesn't make sense

it's not as huge an issue on the latest systems where 4 lanes is the same as 8 lanes from the previous gen3 and most cards only could saturate 8 lanes of the gen3 pcie connection. There's a great GamerzNexus review showing the difference between generations and in some games it's fine, most games it's a pretty big fps loss when the card already can't handle many games above 1080p medium/high

it's definitely a poorly reviewed card and double the price it should be released at but that's the unfortunate market we're in. Brand new would be great if it performed as well as a brand new card is expected to, the resale value of these cards will fall like a rock after the market stabilizes. I don't want to mention it but buying the 6500xt new and reselling it to fund a good used 1080 or 2060 would actually be an option if you can get the new one at msrp.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

4 minutes ago, Biggy styles said:

PCIe Gen 3 x8 would male far more sense to begin with. Along with Actual performance to match...

9 minutes ago, Biggy styles said:

It actually was 😛

How high End a rig would be needed to have Playable Speed in 2009 with 1080?

Its trash.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣