PC keeps turning and off randomly at random times

Stygian Zenith

Title says it all, almost. 

A few days ago my pc suddenly shut down and restarted itself and its been really frustrating ever since. It keeps happening randomly and when im doing something on my pc like gaming or doing a microsfot document it just crashes and shut downs and restarts. Sometimes i can go without problems for 3 hours straight but sometimes it keeps happening every single damb time. I dont think its a heating issue cause i monitored temps during heavy loads and all components were fine. 

Specs-

Ryzen 5 2600

Ml2400 argb aio

Rtx 2060 super

ddr4 3200mhz kingston 2x8

evga 500w gold rated psu

(all parts were new and bought last year 2020) 

Pls help i keep getting bans in valorant

pop out one of the ram sticks and run it with 8gb. try each stick alone in the machine , see if that stabilizes it.

typically a 100% random crash or freeze that has no relation to load is going to be ram related.

Since your playing Valorant it's safe to assume you are running windows. You should check the Windows Event Viewer for Events that happened before the restart. If you cant remember at what time the restart was, then filter the current log (which should be Windows Logs/ system like in the screenshot) and type 6008 into event ID.

image.thumb.png.3fbdcbd456bf5f2be9af753509b5d51b.png

IS just a black screen sudden power off? I'm wondering if the system is bluescreening and is set to simply restart.

Check your event viewer under control panel/admin tools, and see if there is anything there that looks interesting (typically accompanied with a red X. You'll know what you are looking at)

If you see anything, post the full error here. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

This could be any of many problems. It might be your PSU has gone bad, or your cpu isn't quite snug in its socket, or some pcie device isn't fully inserted, or maybe it could be an OS problem, where (I'm assuming its windows) is conflicting with something. There are many more possibilities of what may be the problem, but I'm going to try giving a list of what to do, along with what the problem might be.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

pop out one of the ram sticks and run it with 8gb. try each stick alone in the machine , see if that stabilizes it.

typically a 100% random crash or freeze that has no relation to load is going to be ram related.

If that hasn't worked, then go through your pc and see if every connector is in fact, connected. Double check everything and make sure nothing is out of place.

7 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

Since your playing Valorant it's safe to assume you are running windows. You should check the Windows Event Viewer for Events that happened before the restart. If you cant remember at what time the restart was, then filter the current log (which should be Windows Logs/ system like in the screenshot) and type 6008 into event ID.

image.thumb.png.3fbdcbd456bf5f2be9af753509b5d51b.png

did i do it right? it came up with this

Screenshot (63).png

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

IS just a black screen sudden power off? I'm wondering if the system is bluescreening and is set to simply restart.

Check your event viewer under control panel/admin tools, and see if there is anything there that looks interesting (typically accompanied with a red X. You'll know what you are looking at)

Ive never experienced a blue screen ever on this pc and consistently use this pc everyday for 8+ hours or 3 at lowest

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

does this mean anything?

Screenshot (63).png

Just now, Stygian Zenith said:

did i do it right? it came up with this

Screenshot (63).png

yeah, that's a lot of unexpected shutdowns. Remember what time one of those shutdowns was (like 10:24 pm)a nd then clear the filter on the left. Scroll down the list in the center until you find that entry again and post a screenshot of the Events below that one 

1 minute ago, Stygian Zenith said:

does this mean anything?

Yes, not good, are there any associated with "disk" in that list?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

yeah, that's a lot of unexpected shutdowns. Remember what time one of those shutdowns was (like 10:24 pm)a nd then clear the filter on the left. Scroll down the list in the center until you find that entry again and post a screenshot of the Events below that one 

Im not if this correct but here's what i got

1186118763_Screenshot(64).thumb.png.af0a3a79bfb5a66c7cec63b6462546f4.png

sorry if my screenies are bad i only know how to screenshot like this using widnows prscrn

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, not good, are there any associated with "disk" in that list?

nothing as for when it happened (happened in 2022, 2021 nothing strange)

1 minute ago, Stygian Zenith said:

nothing as for when it happened (happened in 2022, 2021 nothing strange)

There are 40K events in the System section, you've gone through all of them an ensured there were no red Xs associated with "disk"?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

There are 40K events in the System section, you've gone through all of them an ensured there were no red Xs associated with "disk"?

well theres already ID 98 visible in the screenshot which should be telling him to perform chkdsk on his c:\ drive. Im unsure if this is a symptom or a cause though.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

i crashed again should i resend new screenshots?

7 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

sorry if my screenies are bad i only know how to screenshot like this using widnows prscrn

Windows-key + shift + s and you can select a part of the screen to screenshot. Not really helping your issue but a small tip

Just now, Dreckssackblase said:

well theres already ID 98 visible in the screenshot which should be telling him to perform chkdsk on his c:\ drive. Im unsure if this is a symptom or a cause though.

Right, what I"m trying to establish is a pattern of failing disk, which would cause something like this, and certainly isn't helping. Heck the wall socket could be an issue here, unstable or dirty power...

Right, what I"m trying to establish is a pattern of failing disk, which would cause something like this, and certainly isn't helping. Heck the wall socket could be an issue here, unstable or dirty power...

the Kernel power Event means that it surely wasn't a soft reboot and that windows crashed pretty heavily. Software issues rarely do that from my experience but then again it could be some kernel level software with an issue.

Right, what I"m trying to establish is a pattern of failing disk, which would cause something like this, and certainly isn't helping.

im not sure a failing disk would cause a hard reset , definitely a bsod or just a static freeze but im not sure it would dip into the board knowing enough to reset. I still think were more in the cpu/ram/board/power territory

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

im not sure a failing disk would cause a hard reset , definitely a bsod or just a static freeze but im not sure it would dip into the board knowing enough to reset. I still think were more in the cpu/ram/board/power territory

may i ask whats a normal percentage of utilization for a cpu when booting? mine is 6% rn 

Just now, emosun said:

I still think were more in the cpu/ram/board/power territory

In general I agree. My 1st thought is to look at the PSU, as fault, but I've seen the stability of Windows drop with each version from 7 onwards, due to things that previously didn't cause issues, so a really badly corrupted drive...well it wouldn't surprise me if it causes Windows to reboot.

And a ton of "disk" errors in the event viewer would certainly not help during troubleshooting.

Heck a few years ago we had one poster where it turned out his wall power was so dirty it was the cause. Of course he didn't say where he lived (indonesia) until late into the troubleshooting thread...

clear the filter please

image.thumb.png.f22f181c58b98759e4226a31cc98ddbf.png

I've only had you filter on 6008 (unexpected restart) to find when it shut down and with what frequency.

@Stygian Zenith

When doing a screen grab, paste it into MSPaint and just crop the event viewer window to post, the 2nd monitor isn't helpful