Powering a ton of drives...

middle_pickup

I'm looking at building a new Plex server with a ton of hard drives, and I am trying to decide on a PSU. How do you determine how many sata devices a power supply can safely power? I've seen sata power splitter cables with one female and 4 male connectors. Are these kinds of cables safe for all power supplies? I would like to be able to power up to 18 drives safely. I'm just kind of confused because I see only two or three sata power outputs on most modular power supplies.

It depends on the PSU as well as the drives. A few years ago I needed to run many drives in an old Dell OptiPlex 755. That particular PSU had no issue spinning up 10 old mechanical hard drives all at once. It only has four native SATA connectors too, so I was far exceeding the expected output of it. 

11 minutes ago, zjdrummond said:

I'm just kind of confused because I see only two or three sata power outputs on most modular power supplies.

Are you looking at the PSU itself to determine that number? If so, each one of those connectors will typically be used with a cable that has multiple SATA connectors on it. The number of connectors depends on the model of the PSU though. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

22 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Are you looking at the PSU itself to determine that number? If so, each one of those connectors will typically be used with a cable that has multiple SATA connectors on it. The number of connectors depends on the model of the PSU though. 

I'm still new to building computers. I have an EVGA G2 with two SATA power ports in my current PC. There's also a peripheral power port. Can you use these kinds of outputs for SATA too? I just want to make sure that I know how to pick a PSU with enough ports safe to use with SATA connectors, and that I will have enough power to safely power the maximum number of drives I want to build out to eventually-18 drives.

Are these SSDs or are you spinning rust? 

17 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are these SSDs or are you spinning rust? 

Going for max storage so I'll use mostly hard drives, but I will want a couple of SSD's for plex cache and maybe an extra boot drive.

Hmm.. So the hardest part about firing up a lot of drive is not that there isn't enough power to keep them spinning, but getting them all to spin up and detected.  The power required to pin up multiple drives at the same time is relatively huge.  That's why file servers tend to use "staggered start up" when using old platter drives.

Not sure how helpful this information is. But I run a C2100 with 12x 2TB spinning drives. It has dual 750w PSU's and will spin up/operate on one PSU.

Linus did a 20 drive server much like I intend to build, but didn't at all mention the PSU. It doesn't seem like power was at all a hard thing to do for him. Wish I could get a straight answer here.

6 hours ago, zjdrummond said:

Linus did a 20 drive server much like I intend to build, but didn't at all mention the PSU. It doesn't seem like power was at all a hard thing to do for him. Wish I could get a straight answer here.

well you have to look how much power you psu delivers at 5V, or at 12V, depends on the drive. for 18 drives ypu want around 200w on the 5v rail which is a lot. so ou need atleast 40A on the 5V assuming all your HDDs use 5V and not 12V and counting all the other things that use 5V rail

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

A hard drive consumes some amount of power on 5v for the chips on the circuit board, and some power on 12v for the motor.

The motor will consume 2-3 times more power than the normal power consumption for a few seconds as it starts up.

SOME hard drives use 5v motors, so they'll only draw power from 5v, but such drives are not common. 

For most hard drives, the power consumption is around 3-5 watts on 5v and around 4-6 watts on 12v

For example, see the datasheet of WD Black which is a bit more power hungry than average drives: data-sheet-wd-black-pc-hard-drives-2879-771434.pdf

You can see it says 9.1w active, 7.1w idle,  1.0w sleep  so you can kind of extrapolate from it the motor consumes around 6w and the electronics 3w

Here's the WD Red Plus (NAS using CMR) : FC41D42F91D9521789B0A1CBBBB0A486977F1BC5_PRODUCTBRIEFWESTERNDIGITALWDREDPLUSHDD_source.PDF

Note that it says on the 14 TB model  PEAK at 12v  1.85A ,  read/write or active 6.5w , idle 3.0w and sleep 0.8w so because these run at around 5400-5900 rpm

The 10 and 8 TB models are more power hungry, at around 8.4w/8.8w active and 4.6w/5.3w idle  but still below the wd black - my guess would be either they use a 7200 rpm motor based on the higher noise levels listed, or the 8 and 10 TB models use an older generation platters with less data density and therefore there's extra platter, making the motor consume less power to spin them, and more power used because more heads to operate.

So anyway, I'd say reserve 0.75A on 5v for each mechanical drive.  Assume your power supply can give 15-20A on 5v, and that around 5A will be consumed by the PC components (onboard chipset, onboard audio, onboard network, if the motherboard doesn't power those directly from 3.3v or uses dc-dc converters to convert 3.3v to lower voltages, keyboard, mouse).

You're left with maybe 10A available on 5v so around 10/0.75 = 13 drives

Then account for the peak power consumption if all drives spin up at same time... ex if you have 12 drives all with peak power of 1.85A, there goes 12 x 1.85 = 22A of current on 12v

Keep in mind majority of power supplies have a total "budget" for both 3.3v and 5v, let's say 120w, and they have independent dc-dc converters that produce 3.3v and 5v from that budget of 120 watts

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

A hard drive consumes some amount of power on 5v for the chips on the circuit board, and some power on 12v for the motor.

The motor will consume 2-3 times more power than the normal power consumption for a few seconds as it starts up.

SOME hard drives use 5v motors, so they'll only draw power from 5v, but such drives are not common. 

For most hard drives, the power consumption is around 3-5 watts on 5v and around 4-6 watts on 12v

For example, see the datasheet of WD Black which is a bit more power hungry than average drives: data-sheet-wd-black-pc-hard-drives-2879-771434.pdf

You can see it says 9.1w active, 7.1w idle,  1.0w sleep  so you can kind of extrapolate from it the motor consumes around 6w and the electronics 3w

Here's the WD Red Plus (NAS using CMR) : FC41D42F91D9521789B0A1CBBBB0A486977F1BC5_PRODUCTBRIEFWESTERNDIGITALWDREDPLUSHDD_source.PDF

Note that it says on the 14 TB model  PEAK at 12v  1.85A ,  read/write or active 6.5w , idle 3.0w and sleep 0.8w so because these run at around 5400-5900 rpm

The 10 and 8 TB models are more power hungry, at around 8.4w/8.8w active and 4.6w/5.3w idle  but still below the wd black - my guess would be either they use a 7200 rpm motor based on the higher noise levels listed, or the 8 and 10 TB models use an older generation platters with less data density and therefore there's extra platter, making the motor consume less power to spin them, and more power used because more heads to operate.

So anyway, I'd say reserve 0.75A on 5v for each mechanical drive.  Assume your power supply can give 15-20A on 5v, and that around 5A will be consumed by the PC components (onboard chipset, onboard audio, onboard network, if the motherboard doesn't power those directly from 3.3v or uses dc-dc converters to convert 3.3v to lower voltages, keyboard, mouse).

You're left with maybe 10A available on 5v so around 10/0.75 = 13 drives

Then account for the peak power consumption if all drives spin up at same time... ex if you have 12 drives all with peak power of 1.85A, there goes 12 x 1.85 = 22A of current on 12v

Keep in mind majority of power supplies have a total "budget" for both 3.3v and 5v, let's say 120w, and they have independent dc-dc converters that produce 3.3v and 5v from that budget of 120 watts

Okay cool. This is super helpful. I'm starting to get it I think. I'm probably going to be using mostly NAS drives like those from WD and the Seagate iron wolf stuff. I have a couple of those already.